July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 305.6K views

Replies

• Cornishpixie_2Cornishpixie_2 Forumite
    756 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    :D I was on a Driving Lesson today, doing the Bay park in Mr M's. Anyhoo when we were coming back out, he says stop at give way line:confused:nothing coming. Then he says look at all that stuff you can buy for £4, on a big banner. Hilarious:rotfl:
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • *BigBird**BigBird* Forumite
    1K Posts
    Mmmmm, there’ve been some delicious-sounding muffin recipes on here recently - so now I really, really, really want a muffin tin so I can try them out. It’s my birthday next month, might ask for one as a prezzie - or is it a bit sad to ask for kitchen implements as birthday presents?? (And if it's OK, which is best - silicone or metal?)

Are there any good bargains to be had in Morrisons? I never shop there as my closest one is about 30 miles away. But I am off to see my folks up north this weekend and there’s one almost on their doorstep and my Mum does all their shopping there. I might pop in if there’s anything worth having. Could result in me blowing my July budget as I currently have about £25 left for the month, but since I’ve been stocking and filling the freezer, I have loads of stuff that will be used up next month. So I don’t really see blowing the budget one month as a problem, so long as the budget averages out OK over a few months IYSWIM.;)
    You can do anything, make anything, dream anything. If you change the world, the world will change.
  • turbo5019turbo5019 Forumite
    330 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I have just made a tuna and pasta bake I really bulked it out does anyone know if I can freeze it and if so how do you reheat it?
    Want to in control of my money.
  • roxy7699roxy7699 Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    *BigBird* wrote: »
    Mmmmm, there’ve been some delicious-sounding muffin recipes on here recently - so now I really, really, really want a muffin tin so I can try them out. It’s my birthday next month, might ask for one as a prezzie - or is it a bit sad to ask for kitchen implements as birthday presents?? (And if it's OK, which is best - silicone or metal?)

I asked for cleaning products for xmas if it helps
  • Cornishpixie_2Cornishpixie_2 Forumite
    756 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    :eek:memory test! From what I can remember Burgers, Baps, Chicken thighs, iceberg, tomatos, small bag new pots and some steaklet things. He managed to pair it all up so he could make himself a few meals:D
    Grocery challenge june £300/ £211-50.
    Grocery challenge july £300/£134-85.
  • shezzashezza Forumite
    127 Posts
    *BigBird* wrote: »

It is definitely not sad to ask for kitchen implements for pressies. My OH bought me a lovely food mixer a couple of years ago for my birthday and it is one of my most used kitchen appliances, I just couldn't justify spending £100 for it when I saw it so waited a couple of months until my birthday and it appeared, I was so chuffed (I must admit though, he thought it was sad :rotfl:).

I had a NSD yesterday, definately getting the hang of staying away from the supermarket, the problem is I am surrounded by them, and they just call to me as I pass them :D.
  • shala_mooshala_moo Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    BigBird - I had a Kenwood mixer for my birthday in March and its the best present i've EVER had!!!:j i was SOOOOOO excited for it...

I regularly have kitchen implements for my b'day/xmas pressies, infact my MIL bought me a rolling pin last year... she said that she would rather buy something that i needed and wanted than waste money on other stuff...

You could always ask for vouchers if you feel a little embarrassed and then get the items yourself....

Moo x
    Mortgage amount at 31/12/2011 £166,050 now £0 as at Sept 21 - 15yrs 4 months early.

• natzininatzini Forumite
    561 Posts
    ✭✭
    Hi everyone

I'm so sorry I've not been online properly to set my target! I'm looking at £120 for 2 people for the month, we are away for a few days on holiday so it should be ok!

Spent £49.68 in Sainsbugs today, hope it lasts til we go on holiday!

Un sou est un sou
  • Hello, hope you all don't mind me posting.
    This thread is amazing and truly inspirational. I am always trying to save money on food shopping and have been coming on the MSE forums for a while to get some ideas.
    Currently going through a stage of making random foods with with leftovers or fruit on the turn (just made some wholemeal muffins with carrots, raisins and plums - plums were reduced from £2 to 59p for a punnet but needed to be used ASAP!)
    Anyways, am thinking of taking up this challenge but wanted to ask some questions first...Is this just food shopping (no nappies etc), also do you all find it easier to take the cash out and once it's gone that's it or would it be too easy to spend. Thanks
    August Grocery Challenge £98.47/£200 :j
  • carolt2carolt2 Forumite
    852 Posts
    Part of the Furniture
    ✭✭✭
    Evening everyone, just popped in to update signature.

Went to Mr M after work to get a few bits. Stuck to what we needed;)

Spent approx £7 so willadd this to signature as OH has yet again lost the receipt.

For anyone thats interested Mr M is selling 18 medium free range eggs for £2.58.
    'Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle'
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides