July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 305.5K views

Replies

• hi am giving my update for this week -
    spent £23.98 on gift for a new addition to the family £6.40 on family bus ticket to get there £15.00 electric £6.00 on ciggies £6.00 on daughters school busfare for the week and £38.98 on tesco.com which equalls £96.36. i know i have gone over my £70.00 a week budget but am still optimistic as we did have a new beautifull niece to welcome into the world also shopped really well bought lots of ingriedients for home cooking all in all am quit impressed with my self - watch this space.

i love this site and all the lovely cheap recipies keep up the good work all of you xxxxxxxxxxx
    JULY GC = £240 per month = £70 per week
    week 1 = 96.36
  • Mrs._IrwinMrs._Irwin Forumite
    161 Posts
    OrkneyStar wrote: »
    Washables are great, but disposables are handy as a back up when things go a bit pear shaped (and that never happens with a LO around lol). I have reusable wipes that I do use sometimes, and I use water/a few drops olive oil/a few drops baby wash and that works wonders for a lovely soft bum bum. Well done on the caffeine front-I try not to drink much and never very much when exclusively bf- DS is generally a calm contented DS, although he is teething right now :o:confused: :eek:
    x

I've found the emergency disposables too tempting, which is why they're all used up! It's amazing what a difference the no-caffeine has made, I didn't think the amount I was drinking was very significant, but the withdrawal headaches! Ouch!
    I'm using almond oil in the wipe solution, cos I already had some in, but will use olive oil when it's run out.

Mrs. Irwin
    xx
    A penny saved is a penny earned.

Grocery Challenge: September: £1.75/£200
  • busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 Posts
    What an excellent idea! Mine are the same, always finding bruised fruit still in their bags at the end of the week...:mad: what about sugar though? isn't it a lot sweeter in the tins? still better than no fruit at all I suppose...

I never buy tinned friut in syrup, I always buy it in natural fruit juice so I am hoping it is not to unhealthy.
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • Planning a NSD for me today as dd9,dd8 at water park till 4pm.

Have made chicken nd sweetcon mayo for ds4 lunch and celery soup for me from celery tops,carrot,onion,potato,stockcube,s&p - just popped in a chuck of chicken before I wizz it up.

Toad in the hole for tea with roasties,corn and carrots.

Have 2 batches of Twinks to
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    busy_mum wrote: »
    I never buy tinned friut in syrup, I always buy it in natural fruit juice so I am hoping it is not to unhealthy.

I always buy fruit in juice and have found that MrS's own label fruit is in juice so have started buying that..and foung it quite good
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    busy_mum wrote: »
    I never buy tinned fruit in syrup, I always buy it in natural fruit juice so I am hoping it is not to unhealthy.

Good point. will definitely have to get some I think - so no longer just sandwiches for lunch - weetabix cake, banana cake, muffins, twinks & now tinned fruit... excellent! :D
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • Planning a NSD for me today as dd9,dd8 at water park till 4pm.

Have made chicken and sweetcon mayo for ds4 lunch and celery soup for me from celery tops,carrot,onion,potato,stockcube,s&p - just popped in a chunk of chicken before I wizz it up.:j

Toad in the hole for tea with roasties,corn and carrots.

Have 2 batches of Twinks to make for teachers and a lasagna to assemble for tomorrow's tea.Txt friend whose sending her OH with 1 doz free rage eggs for a bag of Twinks - result:rotfl:

Plenty in for last days packed lunch and hopefully another NSD tomorrow too.

Have bought a 2 litre plastic slimline jug for fridge which I dilute fresh fruit juice into as my 3 drink gallons - very MSE.

Need to repot tomato plants this aft,on to do list.

annelouise
    Be who you are and say what you think because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind....Dr Seuss
  • nicki_2nicki_2 Forumite
    7.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm hoping for a NSD today. I was doing well yesterday as I stayed away from the shops...until I went to get the bus to my mates house and the bus driver refused to accept a £10 note as he didn't have change (seperate budget for travel ;) ) :rolleyes: So I ended up going into a newsagents to get some change by buying a drink (I was thirst anyway but was going to wait and have a cuppa in my mates instead :rotfl: ) and as its the only newsagents in the area they charge a premium - 95p for a bottle of Dr Pepper :eek: I've seen it other places for 80p. BUT that was my only spend, and I managed to keep DD talking on the way home so we "forgot" to go to the chippy on the way home ;) I'm getting good at "forgetting" my money and stuff like that :rotfl: Also lost track of time at my mums and DD ended up missing Brownies so that also saved me £1.50 in subs :o
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
  • mandy_moo_1mandy_moo_1 Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    went to Mr M's this morning to stock up on some more of their Robinsons juice before the offer ends on Sun......2litre bottles are BOGOF at £1.85 so i got 8 bottles......that's 12 stashed under the bed now :rotfl:

second load of washing's just been hung out, and i've done all me jobs and walked the dogs, so i'm gonna put me feet up and do a bit of x-stitch.............ssshhh!! :shhh: don't tell anyone!! why do i always feel guilty when i sit down for 10mins with a cuppa, or for an hour with a book or my sewing? its not as if anything else needs doing till tea-time, but i always feel like i shouldn't be doing it!

hope everyone's having a good day, and the sun's decided to shine on you xx

• Anitaj73Anitaj73 Forumite
    155 Posts
    Hi all, quick bit of advice please :)

I am doing bread rolls instead of a loaf and wondered what temp oven should be and how long they will need??

Thanx for help :)
    May GC £350/ spent so far

family life = 2 adults DS x3 & DD1 + dog :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals