July 2008 Grocery Challenge

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Style MoneySaving
3.1K replies 305.5K views

Replies

• WelshWooferWelshWoofer Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    NSD for me yesterday and should be today too:j

Have brought lunch to work and will have a freezer-bung-it-in-the-oven type of tea as I'm busy tonight.

Only 3 days til holidays now and all of the ironing is done, everything is laid out ready to pack on the spare bed and all of the toiletries etc are bought and stashed ready to go.
    Just have to pick up the tickets and money today and we're ready!
    Oh , and break it to the dog that he's in the kennels for a week - haven't told him yet and I'm too soft! (I'm convinced that he understands evrything I say, just doesn't listen to it!)

I thought my budget wasn't going too well this month but I have enough freezer and cupboard stuff to last at least a week or so after the hols and plenty of toiletries and cleaning stuff. There's only 2 weeks left of the month after holidays so I might just make it on budget if I try really hard.;)

Have a good day everyone!
  • BoomdockerBoomdocker Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    mrssnowy wrote: »
    Just seen somebody cooking fish pie on TV,can't think who,but he cut the fish (raw,white fish and salmon)in chunks with prawns.Put in layer in shallow dish,layered cooked baby leeks,quartered h.boiled eggs,grated chese then soft mashed spuds,cooked in hot oven for 20 min or so.Looked good and saved faffing with white sauce(which is sometimes a chore for me!)
    Baby leeks a bit OTT,so steam old ones!!
    DH said nom nom,and he's not struck on pie.

Taking me ages to catch up,wait for me please.

Long wet w/e 2 days fund raising-made lots of lovely monies tho'.
    Had me car towed out of a field:rotfl:
    J

Mmm, thats sounds nice without the white sauce, doesn't it get dry and burn though? Will have to give it a try.
    Boots Card - £17.53, Nectar Points - £15.06 - *Saving for Chrimbo*
    2015 Savings Fund - £2575.00
  • busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 Posts
    Hi - havenup on any posts. HOpe all is well with everyone's budgets!! my first attempt is getting a bit stretched. I seem to keep topping up fruit as am trying not to buy loads in one go to avoid waste.

I have just bought quite a few tins of fruit and I have decided that i will put some in a plastic container for the children to take to school as I am fed up of bruised pairs coming home or un eaten satsuma's because they don't like peeling them. You can buy pre packed pots and tins of fruit for snacking but they are too expensive, so I will make my own.
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • dsljfreemandsljfreeman Forumite
    243 Posts
    I made the weetabix cake and have to say it was the nicest thing I've ever baked :rotfl:
    I want to make another one right now but we're low on milk.

Haven't been spending a lot, just a few pounds here and there, stocking up on items which have run out, I'm trying to steer clear of Mr A, but I have to go there t'moro to pick up my uniform for starting back to work on Monday, it's been a wonderful 9 months off.

Hope everyone is well today xx
    :j Bankrupt 6th October 2009 :j
    :beer: To a Debt-free Future :beer:
  • Flylady_FlowerFlylady_Flower Forumite
    2.9K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    busy_mum wrote: »
    I have just bought quite a few tins of fruit and I have decided that i will put some in a plastic container for the children to take to school as I am fed up of bruised pairs coming home or un eaten satsuma's because they don't like peeling them. You can buy pre packed pots and tins of fruit for snacking but they are too expensive, so I will make my own.

What an excellent idea! Mine are the same, always finding bruised fruit still in their bags at the end of the week...:mad: what about sugar though? isn't it a lot sweeter in the tins? still better than no fruit at all I suppose...
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
  • KAAT_LADYKAAT_LADY Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    good morning all

hope everyone is well

will get back soon

KAAT
    mortgage free as of 06/02/2008#
    berthas buddies No 5
    murphys no more pies club member ,No 242..
    .,night owl 25

• busy_mum_4busy_mum_4 Forumite
    110 Posts
    zoe260373 wrote: »
    baby brain syndrome allowed me to forget:o (do the brain cells ever return after giving birth??:undecided: ) so...al you lovely,helpful peoples out there,could you please let me know what it is,thanks soooo much.x

:doh: Mine haven't and my children are now 11 and 8 years old :eek: (sorry):doh:
    :hello: JULY G/C £50 WEEK

WEEK 1 = £69.50 :eek:

WEEK 2 = £60.83:eek:
    Week 3 :mad: £72.05 :mad:
  • jackk_2jackk_2 Forumite
    288 Posts
    busy_mum wrote: »
    :doh: Mine haven't and my children are now 11 and 8 years old :eek: (sorry):doh:

Hahaha mine are 6, 14, 17 and 20, and i'm starting a Primary Ed BA in sept, so don't give up hope lady's, there is a light at the end of the very long tunnel that is motherhood :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Jackie x
  • KnonieKnonie Forumite
    57 Posts
    mrssnowy I think the chap you refer to is Marco Pierre White (mmm how can a caveman handle food sooo delicately!). If so he's on again tonight - Marco's Great British Feast - 9pm ITV - link to the recipe is:http://www.itv.com/Lifestyle/MarcosGreatBritishFeast/Recipes/TX1Fishpie/default.html
    Life....mmmm....still trying to figure that one out but what I do know is if I had all the answers it'd be a hell of a lot easier!!!!!!:p
  • OMG :eek: How quickly does this thread grow! I haven't been able to log on as much and its scary trying to play catch up! :D

I hope everyone is feeling okay today ((((((hugs)))))) for anyone that needs them.

Its very doomy and gloomy here which is not good- am going to pop to Lidls for more bread flour but think I may leave it until after work at this rate and stick to staying inside at lunchios (scrummy homemade calzone made from super scrummy artisan bread!) and pop along after work. Hope some of you are having better weather than we are- although the garden is loving it!

Right- will try to catch up but feel it may be futile!:rotfl:
    June Budget= £151.41/£150:cool:
    10 NSDs (with teenagers :eek:!!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!:A
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals