Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    • 6,745Posts
    • 39,355Thanks
    determined new ms
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:32 AM
    What small moneysaving things will you be doing this week? W/C 08/01/18 8th Jan 18 at 7:32 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
Page 1
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Jan 18, 7:38 AM
    • 6,745 Posts
    • 39,355 Thanks
    determined new ms
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:38 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:38 AM
    Morning So today is officially the end of the holidays with madam returning to school - it was so much fund while it lasted!

Today keeping it simple I think!

* currently cooking butter beans to batch make gigantis plaki. Will freeze 3 meals worth
    * rice & veg for lunch made yesterday
    * going for a run this morning
    * flylady
    * freeze some pate
    * go to the allotment and do some covering. If dry enough plant garlic and onions
    * start tax return
    * must make time to sit and knit this week. I keep putting it on my list but never actually doing it!
    * 10 mins Portuguese lesson

that will do! Today's main task will be staying offline after I start getting ready!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 £3016.55/Roadkill £8.73
    Wombling 2018 £145.73/RK £0.04
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 8th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 7:47 AM
    Thanks for starting us off Determined. I need to get on and finish No 1 Son's cricket jumper as well.
    It's back to school for us.
    The heating packed in (again) last night. Minus 8 outside, Plus 8 inside.
    Need to do some heating system research at lunch time!
    Lunch made from yesterday's veg and gravy to heat at work.
    Have a good day everyone.
    Womble #9 2018 £0 / Roadkill £0
    Loan £175.40 /month until October 2018 Loan £312.21 /month until April 2025
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 14,049 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 8:59 AM
    Morning all

Thanks for starting us off determined back to school here for us too. Today’s meeting in another town cancelled so I will wfh instead will hopefully allow me to do some jobs. These will include:

Blood test at doctors
    Pop to local bargain shop and get a few bits for dd party at the weekend
    Meals from stores, Thai yellow curry for tea
    Make a batch of cauliflower and brocolli bake for lunches this week
    Make some chicken soup, use chicken stock from freezer and a small portion of chicken from freezer or skim some off curry
    Do some last of washing and put away. No ironing
    Call tax office.
    • fatrab
    • By fatrab 8th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 1,162 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 9:50 AM
    First day back at work for me today, so no cash with me and last night's leftovers for lunch. My ambition this year is to eliminate food waste, eat what I buy in its entirety, stop snacking (this is where most of my unplanned spending was going last year) and hopefully lose a little bit of weight.

Waste in week 1 was 4 baby potatoes that sprouted before their sell by date and half of a tiger bread. Total value - around 60p. I can live with that but shows I can still do better!
    Make a plan. Stick to the plan. If it's not in the plan - DONT DO IT!
    March's Goals - 13/18 NSD - 11/16 Lunches - 19/28 AFD - 20/27 TAFD (take away free days)
    Wannabe debt free by Dec 2022 - Wannalose 3st in the process - 1st 10lb lost so far
    22 x £2 coins (#32)
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 11,081 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:07 AM
    Morning folks!

It's a bit nippy here! -3 this morning

Not much to report. A lovely early night last night but I'm still zzzzzzz think it'll be another week or so before I'm really over this flu thing.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores. Am back on the healthy eating.
    • Work - done
    • 1-2-1 with coach at lunchtime. Am going to ask for some programming to bring me back up to speed. - coach has postponed til tomorrow. Will go for a walk instead
    • Heating off til I get home (unless OH has popped it on at some point this morning)
    • Possibly some crochet but I'm a bit tired
    • Possibly free stretching vid
    • No alcohol
    • Early night
    • Bought a bargainous Christmas garland for £6 at local florists wholesalers. Been looking for one for our bannister so am v. pleased.
    • Nabbed a freebie slimming world mag from work for recipes
    • Charge phone in work
    Not much doing here unfortunately.

Have a good one all

clf x
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 08-01-2018 at 5:48 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • FatVonD
    • By FatVonD 8th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 5,107 Posts
    • 20,583 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 10:24 AM
    Morning all, I have work d the last five days including a late night followed by an early start so I was in bed at 5pm last night and didn't get up until 9am this morning! I have agreed to do extra hours while they are short staffed but I was hoping it would be one extra day and not two! I am only doing four days next week though three of them are late nights but I don't mind that as I get to sleep in late!

I managed to get some carvery turkey at 75% off yesterday so will do a roast with that later, lunch will be fish and chips out with my mum.

I have the dishwasher running already but I need to:

Take some mugs down for the next load

Clean the fish tank, though we appear to have the preferred type of algae it is like pea soup so difficult to see the fish! Apparently the cure is to not leave the lights on 24 hours (even though one of them supposedly emulates moonlight) so that will be moneysaving as well as clear some algae.

I want to pop to Homebase to buy some glue sticks and a bigger bin for DS's room.

I need to send off more stuff to Amazon but still haven't bought printer cartridges so I will print out the labels at my mum's then drop it to the shop on the way home.

Sort out receipts for some items that need to be returned.
    Make £20 a day in March £0/£620 (February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Jan 18, 11:26 AM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 38,372 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:26 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:26 AM
    Morning all
    Up late again after not much sleep, ugh, hate that!
    Consequently not much done yet:
    Washed hair and allowed to dry naturally
    Foraged berries from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fruit
    Walked dog
    Quick tidy of kitchen, odd washing up done, DW on
    Changed handbag as the one I was using was annoying me. How is that moneysaving? I changed to one I already have instead of buying a new one
    Got some items ready for my sales unit
    Did paperwork for post office drop and go parcels
    Cast eye over food stocks etc and decided I can put off going to the supermarket (or indeed any shop) for another day

Actually when it is written down it looks like quite a lot, doesn't it

Still to do:
    Post office / sales unit, book I am not fussed on to CS Done, also took an itchy scarf from the coat rack to the CS. Someone less itchy than me will like it, as it is quite a smart design, and pure wool
    Bits from fridge for lunch Cheese and crackers for me, OH and DD had beans on toast. GD had already eaten, due to a special offer of a free kids meal at the soft play centre where they had spent the morning
    Walk dog again later Done
    Something with pasta and prawns for dinner, will make it up as I go along Cooked pasta, while that was doing I chopped a garlic clove and a red chilli, fried off for a few minutes, added a few sliced spring onions and some cut up tomato, then the prawns. Popped a few broccoli florets in with the pasta, drained when cooked, saved a couple of tablespoonsful of the cooking water, tossed it all together with a little bit of the cooking water, seasoned with salt and pepper. Could have done with some parsley, but I didn't have any in the house and it was dark by the time DD had gone home, and I wasn't up for hunting about in the garden with a torch for a few leaves! Took about 15 minutes with the chopping, tasted good, and a pack of prawns is gone from the freezer
    Wood stove alight later (with kettle on, for 'free' tea ) Done
    DD is coming round, so I don't envisage chance to do much else! GD is a bit jealous as her mum likes to offload the baby onto me as soon as she gets in. GD decides she wants a cuddle, story etc when my lap is already full Arranged to have her on her own on Friday morning for grandma spoiling DD wants to go shopping, so that will suit both I think!
    Last edited by DawnW; 08-01-2018 at 7:15 PM.
    NSDs for March 9 / 18

• Bagpuss741
    • By Bagpuss741 8th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 8,763 Thanks
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    • 8th Jan 18, 11:56 AM
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Sent off PIP form
    4. Physio (or as I'm now calling it torture)
    5. Surveys, Bzzagent and consumer pulse
    6. Elevate and ice knee
    7. Phone surgery as physio wants me on higher pain killers
    Post Office £0Capital One £0Tesco £1400As of 09/01/18
    One debt to go
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 8th Jan 18, 12:55 PM
    • 3,421 Posts
    • 29,339 Thanks
    Hi everyone
    Here I am again, sneaking in after more extended absences and promising to get back on the wagon. Those who know my diary or on FB know that I've had more busy time and more expense over the holiday. My savings are completely gone, and I need to build them back up asap so frugality will need to be the main theme of January.
    The naughty tortie who brought me out of my silence in mse land 2+ years ago has had a third, massive vet bill. She's had a cancer scare and some fairly major surgery. She's had the all clear for the moment but it was another £725 at the vets for her.
    My cousin died unexpectedly just before Christmas, and it's not his funeral until Thursday this week. It's over 200 miles away so I am thinking I might need to arrange a hotel on Wednesday night which will be more expense, plus fuel and food while me and ds are away.
    Plus the usual skint feeling that comes after Christmas...
    So, today I have meal planned to within an inch of my life, I'm back at work (didn't get a coffee on the way in) and trying to get back into a routine. One of my New Year 'things' was so find more time for things I enjoy. Well, I enjoy being on here so I'm determined to be on a bit more.
    DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Jan 18, 1:26 PM
    • 4,889 Posts
    • 38,372 Thanks
    So sorry to hear about your cousin CCL, love to you and your family.
    Glad !!!!!cat at least is ok, despite the bill
    NSDs for March 9 / 18

• 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 8th Jan 18, 1:38 PM
    • 702 Posts
    • 6,750 Thanks
    Afternoon all,
    Sorry I’ve not been around, it’s my grandmothers funeral day and my head hasn’t really been in the “small things” way for a few days but will get back on track tomorrow when hubby and both kids in school (ds2 home on an inset day today)
    Take care all.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Jan 18, 2:09 PM
    • 2,065 Posts
    • 14,049 Thanks
    1LL thinking of you today, some days even small things can wait
    CCL lovely to see you back. I see kitty is 'helping' keeping you back on the bandwagon sorry to hear about your cousin, especially young. Thinking of you too.
    • Loanranger
    • By Loanranger 8th Jan 18, 2:17 PM
    • 2,071 Posts
    • 5,441 Thanks
    Borrowing books from the library instead of lining the pockets of Amazon. I read a lot and i started going to the library again in December after a five year gap. Already saved me a lot of dosh.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 8th Jan 18, 3:00 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 3,734 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    CCL great to see you posting again but awful about your cousin sending hugs. How come it is always the one cat that costs the most to run?! I'm glad naughty tortie is okay, I would have spent exactly the same money and did trying to save my little black and white puss cat last year.

1LL sending hugs, what an awful start to the year for you and CCL

Urghhhh I hate it being Monday and back to paperwork. Have been out first thing to do some chores, finally caught up on RM survey postings. Came back to make phonecalls and hit the paperwork.
    Just about to take a break and tidy a few more bits away.
    Have also done a letter for a parking charge notice that I received for annual shopping trip with bestie just before Christmas. I'm disputing it, blue badge was displayed, everything correct, have receipts to prove that we were still shopping. They want £85 for me being over by 19 minutes. I think it has been brought in because people park there and then walk into the main town but I think I have put forward a pretty good case and have all the evidence in the world.

My poor GP he hates paperwork and for me to have extra specialized treatment at a spinal unit he needs to complete another funding form. He was ace last time and really understands my condition but he so hates paperwork! I just seem to have paperwork flying at me at the minute that I have to direct elsewhere, just feels like an avalanche of paperwork has hit. The penalties of Christmas

Had good reports back from my DM on my first slow cooker beef in gravy that I did before Christmas. She was very impressed. I have a feeling that the slow cooker will be working hard for both of us and we both have meals in the freezer from it. Still eating from stocks. Fed up of chocolate.

Right off to put some bits and pieces away that just seem to be being shifted from what spot to another!
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=276.42
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Jan 18, 3:14 PM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 11,081 Thanks
    Big hugs to 1LL and CCL
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31

SAVINGS: £9433.44
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Jan 18, 4:40 PM
    • 3,902 Posts
    • 19,908 Thanks
    Hello all,
    Sorry to hear sad tidings from 1LL & CCL. Sending positive vibes.
    A few things today which have been money saving:
    *Made a big cauldron of leek & potato soup. That sorted out my lunch for today, tomorrow & a further 6 portions for the freezer.
    *Did rubber pork. We had a roast yesterday (the half price one we picked up after Christmas) & the leftovers are doing us another roast tonight (a more calorie-counted one now, as good habits have been re-instated today), plus a Chinese-style pork rice tomorrow night & a sandwich for tomorrow's packed lunch. I also did some slices in gravy for a 'free' roast dinner later in the month, froze 400g of chunks to make a slow cooker pork chilli at some point & added the final bits to mr f's freezer container ready for next time he feels the urge to concoct an Epic Man Stew.
    *Ziffit emailed to say they have received my first 2 boxes, then again to say they have paid us. There's another box on its way so I'll wait for payment for that too, then transfer the whole lot from Paypal to new 2018 savings pot (sort of combined 1st line of defence savings &loan pay-down fund).
    *A bit of free exercise walking briskly to post box & building in extra steps by going a longer way round.
    *No downstairs heating on yet, but I will be lighting the fire as soon as I've finished on here, as it has been perishing here all day, but I've been either near the cooker or at my desk upstairs right next to the radiator.
    *Continue knitting sleeve of new jumper. It's so cold, I want to be able to wear it as soon as possible.
    *Did laundry overnight on cheap tariff. It's now on heated airer which is also helping to put a little heat in the conservatory. Washer loaded again & will be setting timer for another half price wash overnight.
    OK, that is it for today. I need to do a bit more prep for 2 meetings tomorrow, then I can relax.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = £481-96
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = £320 2016 = £210 2017 = £304 2018 = £20
    • 1SmallStep
    • By 1SmallStep 8th Jan 18, 5:20 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    Evening all. Sorry to hear about tough starts to the year for CCL and 1LL. Your doing great to be even half thinking of here when things are tough - for me that's do often a trigger to overspend
    Welcome Loanranger you've prompted me to !!! renew library pass to my list of things to do soon.
    Unexpected day at home after a saga with cancelled meetings and train issues. Have thrown myself into it and got back into pj's, had mid afternoon bath! Did get some work done but it's been sporadic. Given myself a half day off without worrying about it, have so much flexibility accrued and nobody there to authorise at the moment! Feeling totally shattered so not sure if it's a bug, the blues, or just weariness - theres been a lot to worry about recently., and I rarely get disturbed sleep but gave found myself waking most nights. So, today's been a slob day, tomorrow is a WFH day but plan to get up early, go for a walk so I do start the day properly, and see how I get on with shaking off this bleugh feeling. About to enjoy some catch up TV from my recently purchased licence, along with left over fajita and bits. No heating, but a warm duvet and a couple of hot bottles!
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 8th Jan 18, 5:28 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    Happy Kitties there's a Fb page which helps people to contest private parking fines called Fight Your Private Parking Notice. They have templates and lots of helpful admins.
    Sorry to hear about everyone's bad days.
    Hugs all round x
    • vickthestick
    • By vickthestick 8th Jan 18, 7:17 PM
    • 192 Posts
    • 1,526 Thanks
    If you subscribe to a thread, where can you view the threads you have subscribed to?
    Is there a magic button I have forgotten about?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,245Posts Today

6,808Users online

Martin's Twitter