What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 28 August

Options
When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our ligh:money:tbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
DF as at 30/12/16
Womblng 2020:
NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2

Comments

• determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 August 2017 at 6:28PM
    Options
    Morning Had a relative lay in this morning and got up at 6.45. Madam came and got into bed with me around 6.15, snoozed off and left me there partially awake! Always the way!

Today is set to be a scorcher we're going off to the beach for the day Will take lunch, snacks and drinks. Last day of oh's time off

go to the allotment in a bit fr 1.5 hrs

Dinner will be lo chicken tagine (oh & madam) colcannon & veg

I've had a quick swish round & tidy up of the kitchen so as not to waste my flyladying yesterday! Will flylady lounge & hallway today

Going to the cinema with dd this evening to watch Girls Trip. Going to a cinema where seats are £2.50 each

Want to sort out my cc but might now wait until tomorrow. We'll see how the day pans out....

Still need to sort out the veg drawers in the fridge. Might do a batch of roasted veg and bake a cake before going to the beach....

Make some cider vinegar and an apple crumble using up some of the apples I have now got - several kilos! Think I'll also make some apple sauce as well

Ok that's all! Still trying to work out which bed to get. Also can we survive with a double duvet on a super king size bed so we can save some more cash????
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Morning gang :wave:

Thanks for the kick off DNMS. :A It's great you live close to the beach. Wish we could get to one easily. I would vote 'no' on the double duvet - it might be okish for a king size but I think it would be far too small for a super king size unless you like draughts coming in... Also the super king is longer than a double too so it'd be small both ways. Just my tuppence worth! :)

I need to sort YNAB and check banking this morning with some pricey bank holiday spends. :naughty:

Need to decide on a bday pressie for dad... :think:

Working for a bit because I am a geek :p

Washing on quick wash ;)

Getting organised for tomorrow - sort clothes, iron, make packed lunch, find pass/keys/sort handbag - how can this be so difficult for two grown adults?! :p
  • crazy_cat_lady
    Options
    Morning all :coffee: :hello:
    Thanks for the starter this week DNMS.
    I confess to spending most of the weekend sitting on my backside, doing crochet and feeling sorry for myself. But I've gotten up this morning ready to make the most of the last week off and almost raring to go.
    No plans for the day - dh is struggling at the moment with his anxiety so it really is a case of see how he goes. He's doing a lot of avoiding everything and pacing the floor when he is up and about.
    I am in the process of putting a baby blanket together for my friend, and it's taking ages, but will be lovely when it's done so that's kind of the main event for today.
    The weather looks very grey at the moment but apparently it's going to get nicer later so we'll see. I really hate not knowing what's going on every day when I get up but unfortunately that's how it is at the moment - flexible is key.
    Was reading last week's thread about cat food - it's amazing how many jelly lickers there are :rotfl: some of ours are the same. I get mine from Z00plus (same brand) when I think about it because you can get a lot of pouches very reasonably priced. Our fussiest cat is by far is the one that just turned up at the doorstep, starving. She's obviously gotten used to getting what she wants food wise.
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Morning all :hello:

So glad it's sunny for everyone to enjoy the BH. Our smalls go back to school tomorrow so whilst we'll be going out today, we won't be late back to try and get sorted for tomorrow. We're going to use our annual passes (we'll me and smalls, DH is in bed as he's on nights :() I'll park at my office so it's free :T and take some snacks so cheap day out. I've also got 2 vouchers for a free icream from somewhere so will likely stop there on the way back

I also need to pop to shop but discount has been increased for DH to 15% so that will help :T only a small list too for the week :D other things:

Check banking, surveys and FPL
    Meals from stores/freezer
    Make packed lunches for tomorrow (this is going to be a daily and dull task for the next 10 years :rotfl:)
    Make some cakes/biscuits to get us through the week
    Make a double batch of hummus and freeze half
    Get last of washing outside to dry
    Someone coming to collect fleabay item tonight that sold for £28 that I listed last weekend so had capped fees :T space in spare room too :D

DNMS agree with la e on duvet, we have a superking and you really need a SK duvet. If you're not sure about spend, we recently bought a new matress to replace our 10 year old one. The cheapest in the shops was about £800, found a good quality one online for about £260. When it came it was a little harder than we would have liked (and obviously couldn't test beforehand) so I bought a mattress topper from amaz0n for £35 and now it's lovely ;)
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

DNMS - Thanks for starting us off today, sound like a great day planned

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Been up a while now and out for a quick walk, the suns shining and forecast looks good so we'll be off out later for a long walk somewhere local-ish. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Lovely long walk -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Checked: Luckyphone, Ashleigh, FPL -
    Read -

Have a great day all.

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• La_escocesa
    La_escocesa Posts: 3,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

DNMS agree with la e on duvet, we have a superking and you really need a SK duvet. If you're not sure about spend, we recently bought a new matress to replace our 10 year old one. The cheapest in the shops was about £800, found a good quality one online for about £260. When it came it was a little harder than we would have liked (and obviously couldn't test beforehand) so I bought a mattress topper from amaz0n for £35 and now it's lovely ;)

Ooh, I just remembered about this place too http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/boston-duvet-and-pillow-company
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning all :)
    Lovely day again, determined to get more done than I did yesterday!
    So, today's plans:
    HG blueberries and a blackening banana with breakfast :)
    Car booting - just the one today, and went on my own as OH is out somewhere else. Back by about 8.30 :)
    Managed to get 4 blocks of cheese and a big gamon joint for £10 from a market trader while I was there - I often see this business at the markets at local towns, and he always does good deals, nice quality too :)
    Business paperwork (done)
    Shopping list - might go today to avoid having too many places to go tomorrow!
    Froze 2 bowls of raspberries
    Finish up HM soup with HM bread for lunch
    Clean kitchen and bathroom floors
    Might go to department store to spend my vouchers - they have a garden centre..... Won't spend any more than the voucher value though!
    Hope everyone has a good day :)
    PS, thanks for the recipe DNMS, I will bookmark that one. I have staved off the current cucumber crisis by making bread and butter pickles, but soon there will be another...
    I don't think you would get away with a double duvet on a SK bed :(
    We had to buy a new mattress too PF :(, ours was £558 in the sale in a local department store, but they gave us £58 back in vouchers. Annoyingly, it won't be delivered for 4 weeks or so :( Then have to figure out how to get the old one to the tip (we have a biggish car.... and a smallish camper van...) as they wanted another £50 to take the old one away :eek:
  • PurpleFairy26
    Options
    Do you local council do a large waste collection scheme Dawn we can get 3 items a year collected for free. You just have to put it out by 7am on the set day. Worth a look, that's how we got rid of ours.
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 28 August 2017 at 1:00PM
    Options
    Afternoon all,

I was awoken at 8am by a text from my BFF who wakes early, more worrying (for her neighbours who might have wanted a bank holiday lie in) is she was just off to mow her lawn :eek:

I have so far:

Changed DS's bed linen ready for his return.

Put more washing and the dishwasher on.

Emailed someone about a weeks freelance work for one of my September weeks. The call actually went out on Friday so I'm a bit late but maybe my email will be at the top of her inbox.

Check d bank account.

Sorted through my 'office' space and thrown tons of magazines away (and found our NHS cards.)

Aubergines in the oven as we speak for baba ganoush for lunch. (Auby has about 5 new flowers coming, only one in bloom at the moment though.)

Popped to the shop for (very expensive) cat litter, pitta bread to go with lunch and a YS sandwich for DS when he gets home.

Took all the rubbish out and emptied one lot of recycling.

Still to do:

Clean bathroom and change cat litter before wardrobe buyer arrives to pick it up, must remember to take the cash for it!

Hoover the landing for as long as the Hoover works before cutting out.

Go back onto online banking and transfer another months mortgage payment to savings/mortgage payment account, I'll then be two payments ahead for the lean months to come.

A bit of tidying of the garden if it's not too hot.

Pick and freeze some more tomatoes.

Pick some cucumbers, DNMS, how long does your pickled cucumber last for, the recipe says to eat in a few hours?
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,446 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 28 August 2017 at 1:45PM
    Options
    Do you local council do a large waste collection scheme Dawn we can get 3 items a year collected for free. You just have to put it out by 7am on the set day. Worth a look, that's how we got rid of ours.

They do - but they charge. Not sure how much, will look into it. Done, £12.33 per item, only some items are accepted. Mattresses are among the accepted items, but will stuff it in one or other of our vehicles if at all possible!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure