BREXIT - Why?

Options

Comments

• mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    Linton wrote: »
    A possible worse one is if the EU gets advantages in selling goods to the US that are not available to the UK. You seem focussed on importing foreign goods - that's easy. The problem for the UK is selling its goods abroad and is much to do with non-tariff barriers, perhaps the most important purpose of the EU. Removal of non-tariff barriers implies a loss of sovereignty.

Most of our exports go to non-EU countries under mainly WTO rules.
    On the flip side, Japan doesn't seem to have any issue selling their goods into the UK despite the fact that they don't have a trade deal with us, yet we have a free trade deal with Germany.
    Your logic would suggest that Japan is disadvantaged by having to operate under *worse* rules than Germany does.
  • savings_my_hobby
    savings_my_hobby Posts: 363 Forumite
    edited 20 May 2016 at 9:55PM
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    So if it's not negative then where's the issue complying? I'm assuming the lack of any example means it's another myth that EU are applying regulations affecting business but no-one seems able to provide any details.

Ok example. in 2004 while I was doing my electrical apprenticeship the EU forced upon the trade the harmonisation of conductor colours across the whole of Europe, which basically means the wiring will be the same in every EU country. Which means any Tom, !!!! or Pedro can come here and work in the trade, but to counter the threat of cowboy tradesmen from the EU skipping from one country to the next leaving a trail of destruction behind them the government had to introduce a whole new section of the building regs, Part P.

Now, despite completing an advanced modern apprenticeship I now would have to register with a governing body and pay them an annual subscription just to fit a socket in someones house, the type of thing a first year apprentice could do unsupervised, this cost inevitably gets past on to the customer. All The old wiring had to be recycled (copper) or destroyed (insulation), Very green wouldn't you agree?

But even if you have not done an apprenticeship you can do a Part P course and be "Qualified" to install in a domestic premises. Which then completely de-values my trade qualifications as I did a 3 year apprenticeship and unless I pay an annual fee I cant do legally what some novice who does a one day course can. Even though I have all the relevant qualifications.

All so Europeans can "safely" undercut me.

Hopefully this fits in with your description of negative.
    Earn, Save and Achieve
  • savings_my_hobby
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    Why do you not understand this?

Today the EU trades with the US under WTO rules.
    If the UK left the EU then the *worst* scenario is that the UK would trade with the US under the very same WTO rules.

Neither the US or the UK cannot suddenly start chucking import tariffs around. It is not allowed.
    And even if they could....do you believe that Apple US would be happy for their products to become unsaleable in the worlds fifth biggest economy?

And surely it would be better for us to have a seat at the WTO than have the EU negotiate for us.
    Earn, Save and Achieve
  • mrginge
    mrginge Posts: 4,843 Forumite
    Options
    And surely it would be better for us to have a seat at the WTO than have the EU negotiate for us.

It's interesting that the 162 members of the WTO seem to be able to work together to negotiate trading rules, yet don't want to try and force free movement of labour onto those members. Interesting dichotomy to the EU isn't it.

One wonders if the day will come where countries actually prefer the WTO rules and the main benefit of EU membership will go totally out the window.
  • savings_my_hobby
    savings_my_hobby Posts: 363 Forumite
    edited 16 May 2016 at 7:13PM
    Options
    mrginge wrote: »
    It's interesting that the 162 members of the WTO seem to be able to work together to negotiate trading rules, yet don't want to try and force free movement of labour onto those members. Interesting dichotomy to the EU isn't it.

One wonders if the day will come where countries actually prefer the WTO rules and the main benefit of EU membership will go totally out the window.

Because sadly the EEC became the EU and was as much about forming United State of Europe than anything else.

This was envisioned by M. Jean Monnet as early as the 1920's and was helped formed by the USA in the 1950's.

There was no appetite for a United States of Europe among the peoples of Europe so they set out to achieve this by deception. Major figures in the formation like Altiero Spinelli were hardcore communists.

Those who cite Norway's deal with the EU make me laugh, Norway has a population of 5 million, we have around 65 million, we are a much bigger market place and the Eurozone is in no position to cut of it's nose to spite it's face - No major analysis has disagreed that the the UK economy will not grow outside the EU, Cameron even said the UK will thrive either way, before he came back with nothing significant from his negotiations, now he has nothing to sell but fear.

Cameron also said not long after the Scottish referendum to an EU colleague that he would try to convince people it would be to risky for BREXIT long before he did a (theatrical) tour of Europe to drum up support.

Those who want to remain must surely see that without the euro currency we will always be on the periphery of Europe and the voting is stacked against us hence why we get constantly out voted.
    Earn, Save and Achieve
  • bigfreddiel
    bigfreddiel Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    Options
    Take a look at how Norway is doing on its own:

u don’t need a crystal ball to imagine Britain outside the EU. Hop on a plane to Norway and you’re in a country that has rejected Brussels twice.

Norway, home of the Nobel Peace Prize, last snubbed joining the EU in 1994 and has gone on to become a Scandinavian powerhouse – the fifth richest country on the planet by head of population.

Norway’s jobless rate of 4.4% compares to 5.1% in the UK. The average Norwegian’s salary of £42,000, is nearly double what Britons earn, but a pint is a tenner.

It doesn’t seem the scary alternative painted by those campaigning for the UK to stay in the EU, with David Cameron branding leaving a “leap in the dark.”

“It’s not dark here on the outside,” insisted Kathrine Kleveland, who heads up Norway’s anti-EU campaign group, Nei til EU.

“You have to remember the world is bigger than the EU and the EU is struggling these days with the refugee crisis and the euro problem.”

She added that UK Remain campaigners use the same scare tactics opponents in Norway experienced before the 1994 referendum.

“They said 100,000 jobs would be lost, that the economy would be hit, but it was shown to be false,” she said. “Our economy has growth and we didn’t lose jobs.”

Read the rest on the Mirror web

Have a nice BREXIT now! fj
  • uk1
    uk1 Posts: 1,839 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    So if it's not negative then where's the issue complying? I'm assuming the lack of any example means it's another myth that EU are applying regulations affecting business but no-one seems able to provide any details.

Formans has had to spend thousands on repackaging it's smoke salmon to say "Contains Fish". The owner has been on TV a fair amount recently being interviewed.

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/05/03/476064362/backing-brexit-a-salmon-smokehouse-says-its-been-swimming-upstream

Jeff
  • uk1
    Options

......... also, all the UK peanut producers had to repackage their nuts, to state "Contains nuts"

Hope these two examples helps.

Jeff
  • uk1
    Options

Miele will no longer be able to sell it's more powerful vacuum cleaners in the UK because the EU has set power limits. It isn't greener because you simply take longer to clean. There are new similar laws for hairdryers, kettles, and toasters. And more.

Boiling water will use as roughly much electricity whatever the power. You just wait longer.

Enough for now. ;)

Jeff
  • uk1
    Options

.......and another thing!

The eu have decided I mustn't have some olive oil to dip my bread in when I eat out. They can't touch me if I do it at home though ....:j

It was only after an outcry they reversed it!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2013/may/22/dishes-olive-oil-banned-restaurants-eu

Jeff
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport