Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,963 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Yamumuk wrote: »
    "Durr I fink ill be better off if we leave de eu iot will get rid of those muslims and poles, yeah i fink i will do dat" Not even being able to understand the words of professors who clearly explained what was going to happen after.

Ladies and gentlemen, no need to read long and boring books, I give you why Remain lost in less than 50 words.

They denigate the level of understanding of their neighbours while simultaneously denigrating the concept of understanding itself - through their quasi-religious worship of argumentum ad auctoritatem.
  • always_sunny
    always_sunny Posts: 8,314 Forumite
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    That's about the 4th time you've taken one thing I've said an turned into saying that one thing will save the entire economy.

Not very good.

I repeat, Brexit will bring a million opportunities, why be so terrified of a bit of change, 70% of our trade is already under WTO rules and staying in the SM holds us back

Keeping a positive outlook it's great and you do have that, but you also need to take the rose tinted lenses off from time to time because not everyone in the UK is in that comfortable position where they can wait.

You could take the hit, but many average Joes and plain Janes live from paycheck to paycheck.

These million opportunities may materialise or may not materialise. It make also takes months to do so and not all folks in the UK can afford to wait that long if they're not financially prepared.

Deals will take a while to be finalised after leaving the EU and 2 years (or even less) can be a very long time that can change a country. In 3 months we have all taken a huge paycut with the pound sinking and investors are telling you very clearly that they want guarantees that the UK will retain access to the SM.

Of course eventually there will be opportunities, leaving the EU is not armageddon but it doesn't necessarily mean that the economy will be better off, especially when it wasn't that bad in the EU. What if it brings recession and end up on the likes of Spain or France you mentioned before?
    EU expat working in London
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,701 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    CLAPTON wrote: »
    then you will be able to see the flaws and false assumptions just as you doubtless saw those of the IMFs

Indeed. But can you provide a figure that's any more accurate?

Again, not saying that the £66bn figure is accurate, but it's a whole lot more accurate than whatever you've got.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Indeed. But can you provide a figure that's any more accurate?

Again, not saying that the £66bn figure is accurate, but it's a whole lot more accurate than whatever you've got.

I think it is moronic to discuss how our income is without also saying what the assumption about population is for totally obvious reasons so my estimate is about
    I think it will be about zero per capita +or- 1000
  • Herzlos
    Options
    So you're essentially saying it could be anything? That helps.

I'm not convinced it's tied to population; the number of entities trading across the border will be relatively fixed, and if we have a massive drop in economy married to a massive drop in population, we're not going to be any better off.

But I digress, I don't know why I keep replying to you.
  • Conrad
    Conrad Posts: 33,137 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

It's no more accurate than IBM Chairman once stating the total world demand for computers would never exceed 4.

These lofty projections made by men stooped over charts are always wrong when it comes to trying to predict the sum total output of a trillion thoughts made in the collective mind over time

People aren't jellyfish on a tide of indifference just waiting for bad things to wash over them. Things change so people react, and none of this is factored into these fairy story projections.

For example Setmefree posted a piece about how The Commonwealth are getting behind us. That's but one of a vast number of inputs that will impact the total output. Another is the fact we're the epicentre of the new trillion dollar Masala and Dim Sum bonds trade. No way do boffins in the Treasury factor all this in -
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was referring to things like reducing restrictions on companies which directly benefit the consumer, such as standardized phone chargers, or exhaust emissions.

Your understanding of red tape and mine is somewhat different.

Legislation on standardisation of vacuum cleaners.
    Farmers spending 2 hours a day on paperwork for animal welfare, food standards etc.
    Companies in Financial Services filling in forms and collating data for the EU when they have no European clients.
    Or the idea to stop olive oil being served in jugs in restauarants.

Totally bonkers and nonsense.
  • Conrad
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morten Harper: Why I, as a Norwegian, would strongly discourage the UK from pursuing the “Norway option”

Morten Harper 12th October 2016

Norway is now following the progress towards Brexit with great interest and anticipation. Norwegians voted “No” to the EU in a heated referendum in 1994 – and we are not regretting that choice. Quite the opposite: there has been a rock solid majority against EU membership for more than ten years. 66 percent are now opposed to the EU, according to the most recent poll, with only 16 percent supporting membership and 18 percent undecided.

We see three major democratic deficits of the agreement:
    • The EEA’s so-called dynamic system, which means that the substance of the agreement is constantly expanding
    • The EEA is very one-sided. It is changed through decisions and legislation in the EU, while similar new decisions in Norway or any other EFTA state do not affect the agreement.
    • The EFTA Court does apparently not value in any significant way the considerations and premises of the EFTA parties. In an important Norwegian case on reversion of the rights to waterfalls, ensuring national long-term ownership, both Norway and Iceland had the same understanding that this issue was outside the scope of the agreement. This did not impress the Court, which decided in favour of the ESA’s complaint. This case, and many others, shows that the EEA has transferred political power from national authorities to the ESA and the Court.
    The Brexit referendum has already had an impact on Norway’s debate on the EU and the EEA. Recently our Centre Party (Senterpartiet) claimed that it will not join a new coalition government after the 2017 election without changes to the EEA agreement (having been a member of the “red-green” government between 2005 and 2013). Also, the opposition to the EEA is substantial in the current junior partner in the current coalition government, the Progress Party (Fremskrittspartiet).

http://brexitcentral.com/morten-harper-i-norwegian-strongly-discourage-uk-pursuing-norway-option/
  • Conrad
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Oh dear, what happened to investors shunning the UK and Britain as a 'laughing stock nation' abroad:

Chinese, Hongkongers accelerate property purchases in London

Over the 12 months to September, investment from these regions into the British capital jumped 45 per cent on year,

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 11 October, 2016, 9:30pm

http://www.scmp.com/business/article/2027129/chinese-hongkongers-accelerate-property-purchases-london
  • Herzlos
    Options
    Conrad wrote: »
    Oh dear, what happened to investors shunning the UK and Britain as a 'laughing stock nation' abroad:

Chinese, Hongkongers accelerate property purchases in London

Over the 12 months to September, investment from these regions into the British capital jumped 45 per cent on year,

PUBLISHED : Tuesday, 11 October, 2016, 9:30pm

http://www.scmp.com/business/article/2027129/chinese-hongkongers-accelerate-property-purchases-london

Nothing to do with London properties suddenly becoming 15% cheaper to the Chinese?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure