Debate House Prices

In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non MoneySaving matters are no longer permitted. This includes wider debates about general house prices, the economy and politics. As a result, we have taken the decision to keep this board permanently closed, but it remains viewable for users who may find some useful information in it. Thank you for your understanding.

If we vote for Brexit what happens

Options

Comments

• gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Your understanding of red tape and mine is somewhat different.

Legislation on standardisation of vacuum cleaners.
    Farmers spending 2 hours a day on paperwork for animal welfare, food standards etc.
    Companies in Financial Services filling in forms and collating data for the EU when they have no European clients.
    Or the idea to stop olive oil being served in jugs in restauarants.

Totally bonkers and nonsense.

Thrugelmir, how could you have forgotten everyone's favourite.
    BENDY BANANAS ;)
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • gfplux
    Options
    posh*spice wrote: »
    Because they will vote to not trigger article 50 EVER. It's a stich up - just you watch Brexit will never happen - the politicians will win and we will will be shackled to the EU forever. The EU is just a way off by-passing democracy.

Hello posh, I hope you are wrong, I think you are wrong, I wish that you will be wrong.
    Fingers crossed you are wrong.
    Have you ever thought what the other 27 members of the EU would think of being jerked around like that.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »

What I feel is wrong is Brexiteers cheering every step forward and completely IGNORING anything negative.

give us five positive posts you have made about brexit just to show how objective you are.
    Brexiteers are in danger of letting ordinary people think it will easy and hard and difficult work is not required to make Britain MORE prosperous out of the EU rather than remaining in.
    where have brexiters been telling ordinary people it will be easy? the newswpapers are awash with dire forecasts £66 bmillion etc

This will not stop me challenging Brexiteers (when I have the energy) when too much optimism or ignorance is posted.

indeed we should all challenge too much optimism and ignorance as both being un-European.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »

What was Chinese corporation tax 12 months ago?

Merely pointing put that Apple etc are not alone. Anybody with enough money can now employ an army of tax accountants who roll avoidance schemes off like cars from a production line.

The UK has a particular regulation weakness when it comes to overseas companies and acquisition of property.
  • gfplux
    Options
    Herzlos wrote: »
    Only one country has explicitly referred to them as negotiating cards, ours.

None of the other EU countries have said anything, because there's nothing to say yet. They remain welcome in the EU. It's only us that seems to have a problem hosting EU citizens, remember. Everyone else is smart enough to take their tax income :)

In fact the Luxembourg Government are to debate and very likely to pass new regulations that will make becoming a Citizen easier for foreigners. The debate takes place next week and is due to be in power early next year.
    Brexit has not been mentioned (but) this is about making immigrants more welcome when they have made a long term commitment to live in Luxembourg.
    With nearly half the population immigrants/foreigners this is a country going out of its way to make them welcome unlike what I hear from the UK.
  • gfplux
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    Try getting benefits in Belgium then. Far from a level playing field. There's much of a case of an ala carte imposition of EU policy. Then blocking other member states moves. Some would say cynical and with one view, self interest.

I would be interested to hear more details of benefit obstructions in Belgium.
    Don't forget being over generous to U.K. Citizens has meant Britain has become the magnet for economic migrants from around the world or so the Daily Mail tells me.
  • gfplux
    Options
    wotsthat wrote: »
    If parliament gets to vote on the negotiated terms for Brexit then, by definition, article 50 will already have been triggered and the clock will be ticking. Chill.

All the sovereigns of the EU will get a say on the terms of the deal - why not the UK?

If A50 has been triggered and the British Parliement do not approve the deal it will not change anything as when the 2 years are up the deal that is signed will be the deal. If no signed deal the U.K. Is out without a deal.
  • CLAPTON
    CLAPTON Posts: 41,865 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    In fact the Luxembourg Government are to debate and very likely to pass new regulations that will make becoming a Citizen easier for foreigners. The debate takes place next week and is due to be in power early next year.
    Brexit has not been mentioned (but) this is about making immigrants more welcome when they have made a long term commitment to live in Luxembourg.
    With nearly half the population immigrants/foreigners this is a country going out of its way to make them welcome unlike what I hear from the UK.

are you saying that gaining Luxembourg citizenship is easier than gaining UK citizenship?

are they the first EU to clearly state that will enable all expats to stay after brexit

I only ask to ensure that no-one is being over optimistic or showing ignorance which we all abhore
  • gfplux
    Options
    There's the hysteria again.

What on earth makes you think you can categorise everyone who voted to leave in this way? Do you honestly think everyone who voted leave did so because they think they are owed something? Because they are headless chickens? Because they all hate muslims?

You.. yes, you, are a bigot.

Totally agree.
    As a Remainder We have to put our differences behind us. I may not agree with your opinion but will defend your right to hold it.
  • ruggedtoast
    ruggedtoast Posts: 9,819 Forumite
    Options
    The pound plunges again. Theresa May as flat footed as ever as her government says they don't care what effect hard Brexit has as long as Tory xenophobes can be hateful to foreigners.

Meanwhile Brexitards wave their pitchforks and light their torches while the world shakes it's head at Britain's abject idiocy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure