When does a Vodafone contract end?

Options
Carpetman
Carpetman Posts: 41 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I thought my contract is due to end on 27th May 2015, so I telephoned Vodafone to confirm it. The bright young lad duly confirmed my contract ends on the 27th, but says as I have not rung up to canceled it it will not end until 11th June. Apparently because I haven't given 30 days notice that I was ending the contract I have to pay up to the 11th of June.

Now I don't know that much about contracts, but I would have expected one that states it ends on 27th May should end on 27th May unless I authorise Vodafone to extend it. According to them their get out clause is the 30 days notice period to disconnect the line. Are Vodafone that inefficient that it really takes 30 days to close a line down?

Isn't Vodafone's clause an unfair clause as a contract in other spheres of life lapses on the date the contract is agreed to?

The original contract was signed way back in 2006 and was subsequently extended after phone calls from Vodafone to upgrade at the start of a new contract period. Although the new periods were agreed to over the phone no physical signed contracts were exchanged for each extension.

Are Vodafone able to force me to pay to June 11th even though they agree the contract ends on 27th June?

Comments

• Silk
    Silk Posts: 4,836 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The contract has a minimum end date but will continue on a rolling contract unless you give notice
    It's not just about the money
  • Alt
    Alt Posts: 353 Forumite
    Options
    Your phone contract is not a fixed term one rather a minimum (12m, 24m) term.

Alt
  • LilMissEmmylou
    LilMissEmmylou Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Options
    I was just coming on to look for info on the exact same thing with EE!!

I am actually disgusted as I have had the worst service from them in the sense that I get little to no signal at home and end up using facetime on our wifi to call people as the phone signal is so weak. I was excited my contract ends on Friday so I called today for my pac code to be told the same thing - I need to give 30 days notice despite my contract ending in 2 days. Madness!
  • Silk
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I was just coming on to look for info on the exact same thing with EE!!

I am actually disgusted as I have had the worst service from them in the sense that I get little to no signal at home and end up using facetime on our wifi to call people as the phone signal is so weak. I was excited my contract ends on Friday so I called today for my pac code to be told the same thing - I need to give 30 days notice despite my contract ending in 2 days. Madness!
    Don't forget that the 30 days notice starts from the day you use the code rather than the day you request it
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 May 2015 at 1:49PM
    Options
    Silk wrote: »
    Don't forget that the 30 days notice starts from the day you use the code rather than the day you request it
    As discussed many times, this is incorrect.
    Just request the code 30 days before the minimum term ends and you'll be charged for no more than 30 days.

There is some anomaly at T-mobile because of their stupid system, but even they seem to refund eventually all charges that look wrong.
  • Silk
    First Anniversary
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    As discussed many times, this is incorrect.
    Just request the code 30 days before the minimum term ends and you'll be charged for no more than 30 days.
    They have not asked for the code 30 days before the minimum term though as there is only 2 days left.
    Asking for a code is not asking to cancel it's asking to port the number.
    Those that have had the fees waived have had to argue the toss with the network
  • grumbler
    edited 13 May 2015 at 2:01PM
    Options
    Silk wrote: »
    They have not asked for the code 30 days before the minimum term though as there is only 2 days left.
    OK, get it today and, even if you use it in 25 days, you'll be charged for the next 30 days only.
    Asking for a code is not asking to cancel it's asking to port the number.
    Those that have had the fees waived have had to argue the toss with the network
    You say so...

If you want to be 100% sure, just give a notice today first, then get the PAC (that, I know, voids the notice in practice). However, 99% it will be the same even without a notice.
  • Silk
    First Anniversary
    Options
    grumbler wrote: »
    OK, get it today and, even if you use it in 25 days, you'll be charged for the next 30 days only.
    You say so...

If you want to be 100% sure, just give a notice today first, then get the PAC (that, I know, voids the notice in practice). However, 99% it will be the same even without a notice.
    It would be the latest instruction that counts, so doing it in reverse would be better ie ask for code then cancel later.
    If they intend using the code straight away though theres not much point
  • grumbler
    edited 13 May 2015 at 2:19PM
    Options
    I don't think that the order can make any difference as either way the T&C and the practice contradict each other.

Anyway, I suggest the OP gets PAC, uses it in 20-25 days (to avoid wasting money) today and reports back in a month with all charges.
  • LilMissEmmylou
    LilMissEmmylou Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Options
    He said that even if I use my Pac code I still have to pay the 30 days notice? What you are saying sounds like that isn't the case?

I did ask for my pac code and told them I wanted my contract cancelled so that gave my 30 days notice at the same time.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure