Insanity

Options
Insanity.

Anyone done it/doing it now? Has it worked for you?

Did you buy the dvds or did you go to a class?

A couple of friends and family members have done it in the past, but I don't know if it's any good. The whole package costs around £100, which is A LOT of money, especially if it gets used the odd time and them shoved to the back of the shelf and never used again!

I've been reading reviews online, but you can't tell how reliable they are.

Any info appriciated :-)

Comments

• purpleshoes_2
    purpleshoes_2 Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Options
    Ive done a class, didnt love it, but then I do metafit and similar HIIT style classes. I didnt like the style of the class compared to metafit, with metafit you get commands from the audio so you always know what exercise you are doing, with Insanity the instructor was pre cueing the next move and it got quite confusing. I also thought a lot of the exercises were very jumpy and it wouldnt be appropriate for anyone with issues with knees.

Also, Insanity allow anyone to do the training, they dont need to have any kind of fitness qualification. The instructor I went to, she's a very good instructor and very well qualified, but I still didnt like the class enough to go back. I much prefer metafit and you'd get the same results if you went to a metafit class or any other HIIT style class.

I dont buy home workout dvds for the reason that if I did, they'd end up in a cupboard and not used.
  • BunnieJ
    BunnieJ Posts: 418 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks! I will have to take a look at metafit and HIIT :)

I used to do a bootcamp 4 times a week and it was really motiviating, but I had to give up as I injured myself (the company said it was my own fault and wouldn't give me a refund for the rest of the course! :mad:)

I'm mainly worried that if I do it on my own at home it'll be really easy to give up or not push myself. Then it becomes a waste of money.

I signed up to my local gym last year (it's 10 mins walk from my house and costs £17 per month - bargain!) but I think I went once the entire time I was a member! :(

A couple of months ago I cancelled my membership and decided to take up running as it's practically free except some sports clothes. Again, I've only been on a run a couple of times, when I downloaded C25K weeks ago!

I need to do something as I feel like !!!! most of the time! I want to lose a bit of weight and get fit.
  • purpleshoes_2
    Options
    If I were you, Id rejoin the gym, 10 min walk from your house, 17 quid a month, bargain.

30 mins out of your day 4-5 times a week is all you need.
  • BunnieJ
    Options
    If I were you, Id rejoin the gym, 10 min walk from your house, 17 quid a month, bargain.

30 mins out of your day 4-5 times a week is all you need.

...but I never go! :eek:

How do I motivate myself to get my bum down there?
  • purpleshoes_2
    Options
    BunnieJ wrote: »
    ...but I never go! :eek:

But you arent running either as you said. Different things work for different people, but to be honest, my view is that if you are wanting to lose weight, you'll get so far with clean eating or whatever it is you are doing but you'll also need to exercise. The benefits far outweigh not going. And we all get days where we arent motiviated, I get plenty. But I still go. My motivation was being the heaviest I had ever been in my adult life and needing to do something about it. It took me around 6 months to actually get the courage to go. But Ive stuck with it for a year now and Im just short of 40 pounds in weight lost. If I look back and think of me last year and me this year, even when Ive been in classes where Ive been swearing under my breath and sweat dripping down my face as Ive been working so hard, its been worth it.

Its the routine, you go 3 times a week one week, you are more likely to return. Also if theres someone who can work with you and do a gym programme for you, that might help as you'll need to regularly update it.

Its about making it a part of your life rather than this chore that you need to get out of the way.
  • adouglasmhor
    adouglasmhor Posts: 15,554 Forumite
    Photogenic
    Options
    BunnieJ wrote: »

Get a training buddy. Then you won't want to be letting each other down and looking like a quitter in front of each other, and they will be supporting you, and you them.
    The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head. Terry Pratchett

http.thisisnotalink.cöm
  • BunnieJ
    Options
    My motivation was being the heaviest I had ever been in my adult life and needing to do something about it. It took me around 6 months to actually get the courage to go.

I'm also at my heaviest (not huge, but put on about 2 stone over the last few years). I know I need to do something other than just healthy eating, as I'm really unfit! :(

I think I need to find a gym partner to make me go. Before I moved house I used to go to gym classes at least 3 times a week with a friend, now I don't do anything!

Looking at the reviews of Insanity online, it seems that you can get the same results by going to the gym regularly/joining a class.

I'm starting a new job in a few weeks time, so maybe it's time for a new start...

Edit: just saw your comment RE getting a gym buddy, thanks :)
  • Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Do what I do - eat crap constantly all the time. The second you stop exercising, you'll become the size of a whale and that will scare you back into shape :)

As to Insanity....if you know people who've done it, can't you just ask *them* about it?
  • purpleshoes_2
    Options
    Get a training buddy. Then you won't want to be letting each other down and looking like a quitter in front of each other, and they will be supporting you, and you them.

Thats a great idea, but sometimes you can't get one. I can't think of a single friend who has an interest in fitness. I know people from the gym, but I wouldnt say they are friends (I get that training buddies dont need to be, but in the entire time Ive been using gyms, Ive never met anyone who has asked me or anyone Ive known well enough to say to them, would you like to train with me)

I get that some people might need that extra support from another person, but the motivation has to come from you (Im sure I dont need to be telling you that, given that you workout a lot)

Ive always gone to classes and the gym on my own and sometimes it can be a PITA, but it can be done if you dont have someone to train with.
  • BunnieJ
    Options
    Do what I do - eat crap constantly all the time. The second you stop exercising, you'll become the size of a whale and that will scare you back into shape :)

Lol. I eat crap constantly too (today I've eaten some homemade cookies I took into work and chocolates).
    Thats a great idea, but sometimes you can't get one. I can't think of a single friend who has an interest in fitness.

That's my problem since moving to a new city. I've made some friends, but none of them want to come to the gym with me. I could go with my OH but I know we'd just get on each others nerves! Sometimes you need time on your own!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure