Finding a job following dismissal for gross misconduct

Options
Shazza122
Shazza122 Posts: 177 Forumite
edited 25 February 2014 at 6:34PM in Employment, jobseeking & training
Hi,

Newbie here.

Just last week, following a three week investigation I was dismissed for gross misconduct. I did something really silly (without realising it was against company rules) and after a successful four year career with my employer, including two promotions I have lost my job :(:(

Life has been very hard since this all started and I've not been in a very good place. However I need to find work and I am aware GM on my record is not exactly going to be a selling point but I would really like some advice on how to approach applications/interviews etc.

Shazza

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• AP007
    AP007 Posts: 7,109 Forumite
    Options
    Firstly what was it that got you fired?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • monty-doggy
    Options
    Do you need a reference from this employer or do you have someone else?

I was dismissed from my job for gm last year and I was devastated. I did a temp job before Xmas which meant I then had a reference from my latest employer.

As ap says, to get proper advice, give some indication of what you did?
  • Shazza122
    Options
    I let my OH use my business charge card for a personal purchase.

I'm responsible for the payment of card so ex employer had no financial responsibilities but it was against company policy...yes I should have read T&Cs closer I know....believe me nobody could beat me up over this any more than I have done to myself already!!!
  • Shazza122
    Options
    Oh and employer has stated they only give a standard reference i.e position, employment dates etc. unless position applied for is considered high risk.
  • AP007
    Options
    Shazza122 wrote: »
    Oh and employer has stated they only give a standard reference i.e position, employment dates etc. unless position applied for is considered high risk.
    Most will state reason for leaving or expect to be asked.

I think any sacking for GM is bad. How long have you been there and what are you going to tell new employers at interviews?
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • Shazza122
    Options
    I was there for 4 years and promoted twice.

I was going to be honest...I've got 2 interviews next week.
  • AP007
    Options
    I was there for 4 years and promoted twice.

I was going to be honest...I've got 2 interviews next week.
    How did you get the interviews without putting a reason for leaving on your CV/application?

Do you think telling them you have been sacked for GM will go down well?
  • Shazza122
    Options
    Because it didn't ask re my reason for leaving!

I have no idea hence me asking for advice from anyone who may have been through a similar experience....
  • AP007
    Options
    Because it didn't ask re my reason for leaving!

I have no idea hence me asking for advice from anyone who may have been through a similar experience....
    I would have probably told them in advance if that's what you are going to do when you get to the interview.

I wouldn't hire someone who had been fired for GM sorry.
  • Shazza122
    Options
    Thanks for your help...made me feel so much better!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure