Love2shop? Love2rob more like!

Options
I have had some "Love2shop" vouchers in my purse for ages. After I was made redundant, I figured I would save them for my DD birthday present.

Unfortunately, when I fished them out to use I saw they expired last September.

I wrote a very polite letter to High Street Vouchers/Love2shop/love2reward and all their other pseudonyms, and told them I had always used their vouchers to give as gifts, that unfortunately I had fallen upon hard times and noticed the vouchers had expired when I needed to use them. I asked if there was any way they would re-issue the vouchers on this occasion.

I had a curt reply saying "it is not our policy to reissue expired vouchers, Sorry for any inconvenience".

What? so they are just keeping my £20? I understand they would incur a small cost of a paper voucher and a stamp, but I really think that is rubbish customer service.

I read once that there is millions of pounds worth of vouchers floating around that no one will ever spend.

I certainly will never buy a voucher again- of ANY description!

SFG x

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    You've had them a long time and could and indeed should have used them when they were still in date. Most vouchers have a use by date and love to shop are one of the more generous in my opinion.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • sinizterguy
    sinizterguy Posts: 1,178 Forumite
    Options
    I certainly will never buy a voucher again- of ANY description!

SFG x

The best thing to do for someone who cannot keep track of expiry dates.
  • superflygal
    superflygal Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    Options
    I see your point, but that is pretty dreadful customer service in my opinion. The only worse service I have ever received than that is The Disney Store online.

The fact remains, they now have my £20.

SFG x
  • superflygal
    superflygal Posts: 1,122 Forumite
    Options
    You've had them a long time and could and indeed should have used them when they were still in date. Most vouchers have a use by date and love to shop are one of the more generous in my opinion.

Gosh, if they are one of the better companies, the rest must be appalling!:rotfl:

SFG x
  • mije1983
    mije1983 Posts: 3,665 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Gosh, if they are one of the better companies, the rest must be appalling!:rotfl:

SFG x

And on the flip side, if this is the worst customer service you have ever experienced (bar one), you are VERY lucky!
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mije1983 wrote: »
    And on the flip side, if this is the worst customer service you have ever experienced (bar one), you are VERY lucky!

as if that justifies any poor service from any company.
  • Truepat
    Truepat Posts: 3,278 Forumite
    Options
    This is not poor customer service, it is poor customer behavior.
    Many places issue vouchers with expiry dates, people do have to take a little bit of responsibility for their own failings.

After postage, stationary, inks, validation, QA and other time required in admin charges I doubt there would be much of your £20 left.

After saying that, you have given it one shot, but why not try again and see if they will offer any kind of goodwill gesture.
    35, semi retired, sun, sand, sea, life is good
    When you are done moaning remember that there are people who would love to have your standard of living!
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Truepat wrote: »
    After postage, stationary, inks, validation, QA and other time required in admin charges I doubt there would be much of your £20 left.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

What would they do, print it in gold plate?
  • Sooler
    Sooler Posts: 3,108 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Truepat wrote: »
    Many places issue vouchers with expiry dates.

That's poor.
  • WTFH
    WTFH Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Options
    Sooler wrote: »
    That's poor.

Most places issue vouchers with expiry dates and have done for years.
    Certainly back in the 1980s major high street stores had dates on them. Your clubcard points have dates on them. It's not poor, it's standard practice and has been for a long time.

...and contrary to what some people might say on here, it's not about trying to "steal", "lie", "con", etc the consumer, but simply trying to keep track of the P&L. If a business sells a £100 voucher, then that is (almost) £100 pure profit to report. But when that voucher is used, it becomes £100 pure loss, and the two balance out. If that is done in the same fiscal year, it's simple to balance the books. Where the voucher is used in a different fiscal year, then it means the two years of reporting are either incorrect or they have to be estimated (Neither of which is a particularly good solution) or, the vouchers have to be tracked.

So, there's one major reason why vouchers have expiry dates.
    1. Have you tried to Google the answer?
    2. If you were in the other person's shoes, how would you react?
    3. Do you want a quick answer or better understanding?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure