Vent - Vue Cinema allocated seating

Options
Went to watch Star Trek at my local vue cinema and they've introduced allocated seating for the whole auditorium. Not just VIP but standard as well.

It's very annoying as we like to position ourselves away from disruptive people who talk or eat noisily. Now you've got no way of knowing when you get your seats who is around you.

Plus when the film starts latecomers instead of just finding the most convenient available seat now have to walk around trying to find their seat!

I thought this practice had been abolished in the 80's.

It's very annoying and i will in future be sticking with the Odeon or AMC who thankfully don't adopt this ridiculous practice!

In protest I kept my 3D glasses :)

Comments

• Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,834 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    goater78 wrote: »
    Went to watch Star Trek at my local vue cinema and they've introduced allocated seating for the whole auditorium. Not just VIP but standard as well.

It's very annoying as we like to position ourselves away from disruptive people who talk or eat noisily. Now you've got no way of knowing when you get your seats who is around you.

Plus when the film starts latecomers instead of just finding the most convenient available seat now have to walk around trying to find their seat!

I thought this practice had been abolished in the 80's.

It's very annoying and i will in future be sticking with the Odeon or AMC who thankfully don't adopt this ridiculous practice!

In protest I kept my 3D glasses :)

That's normal practice at any cinema I've been at and you are meant to keep the glasses to use next time. I ought some for the first 3D film I saw and keep using them
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    That's normal practice at any cinema I've been at and you are meant to keep the glasses to use next time. I ought some for the first 3D film I saw and keep using them

They try and make you recycle them at Vue. They have a box. You don't get a discount for reusing your 3d glasses at vue so you may as well return them and get a fresh pair next time.
  • SuperHan
    SuperHan Posts: 2,269 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It could be worse... I went to a Vue cinema the other week, had my tickets allocated, went to the theatre 5 minutes before the scheduled start time and my seats had been ripped up, and there were workmen in the room.

I went back out, checked I had the right screen, I did. They asked the workmen to be quick.

Some 15 minutes later, the workmen left, and we went in to the screen. We asked if we were okay to sit on the VIP seats considering the inconvenience, and were told, no, not if we hadn't paid for them!

It turned out we were the only 2 people in the whole screen to watch the film... So we sat in the VIP seats out of spite, and in the end got a very cheap, essentially private film screening.

However, the customer service was terrible!! I think I'll be sticking to the local Showcase in future.
  • skintchick
    skintchick Posts: 15,114 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I prefer allocated seats.
    :cool: DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007 :cool:
    :heartpuls married 21 6 08 :A Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 :heart2: My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 :heart2: I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014! :j
  • System
    Options
    skintchick wrote: »
    I prefer allocated seats.

Any reason? It would be interesting to see what the positives of allocated seating are?
  • The_One_Who
    The_One_Who Posts: 2,418 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ^ A friend likes allocated seating (and at the cinema he uses it is always allocated) because he's found a seat that he loves, for distance from screen, sound, access, etc.

Personally, I prefer to choose when I enter, but I always expect cinemas to allocate seats if they are expecting a busy showing.
  • System
    Options
    ^ A friend likes allocated seating (and at the cinema he uses it is always allocated) because he's found a seat that he loves, for distance from screen, sound, access, etc.

Personally, I prefer to choose when I enter, but I always expect cinemas to allocate seats if they are expecting a busy showing.

Yes that's my problem. You can choose a really good seat for sound, access, distance.

Then when you get in you find you're sat next to a schmuck :)
  • ellay864
    ellay864 Posts: 3,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options

I've just got home from watching Iron Man 3 in my allocated seat at our local Odeon :)
  • SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We don't have allocated seating in our local cinema but then we don't have VIP seating either.

If you want a particular seat, you just have to make sure you get there early....and 3D glasses you pay a refundable deposit and get it returned when you return the glasses.

That said, the prices are a hell of a lot cheaper than the Cineworld just up the road, not only for admittance but for food and drink too, the cherry on the top is that if you order hot drinks or food, they even bring it to you at your seat. Last night, I ordered two cups of tea, one for straight away and one for later on in the film....
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • Helix
    Helix Posts: 2,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

Around here Odeon do have allocated seating but Cineworld don't so I normally go Cineworld.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure