Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• jbrook52
    Options
    Hi I was wondering if someone might be able to give me an indication of my chances of successfully claiming compensation in the following scenario....

Travelling from London Gatwick to Port of Spain approximately 2 weeks ago the flight made a scheduled stop in St Lucia to drop off and take on more passengers. As we taxied to to the runway to complete the journey to Trinidad the plane was grounded, we sat on the plane for 2 hours, then in the departures lounge for 3 hours before being transferred to a hotel. This resulted in me arriving at my destination approximately 24 hours after I should have.

We were given a letter of apology at the time stating:

"The technical fault affecting the aircraft whilst in transit here in St Lucia is taking our engineers some time to repair as a spare part is required that is not immediately available. As a result we have had to delay your departure until tomorrow"

I read on the CAA website that "This means that airlines can only cite technical faults as a reason for not paying compensation if the fault was originally caused by an event that was “out of the ordinary”. So technical faults such as a part on the aircraft failing before departure will generally not be considered extraordinary circumstances."

Should I pursue this? Any advice much appreciated
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    jbrook52 wrote: »
    Any advice much appreciated

Have a read of the FAQs so you understand the legal issues.
  • johners1990
    Options
    Hello everyone. This is my first post so sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

I flew with BA last month, but my flight was delayed then cancelled, which stopped me boarding my connecting flight (also with BA). In the end, I was delayed by about 11 hours.

I tried to claim compensation, but the link on the MSE website to the BA process wouldn't allow me to login with my flight reference number, saying that 'this flight has passed'.

Has anyone tried to claim compensation from BA and had success? If so, could you point me in the direction of the right link(s)?

Thanks in advance!
    Craig
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Options
    Craig Start here.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4384701

Your post will probably be moved on to that thread as random posts clutter the forum up.
    If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
  • neetsy15
    neetsy15 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

I've read through the flight delay and cancellation info but I'm little unclear as to wether i have a claim or not for cancellation.

My original flight was flying with BA Glasgow to Gatwick and Gatwick to Tampa. The Gat-Tam flight was cancelled approx 12hrs before we travelled. We were rerouted on a Virgin Atlantic flight direct from Glasgow whilst at Glasgow Airport to Orlando International.

Do we have claim due to the fact that we didnt arrive at our oringally booked airport?

Any advice would be appreciated
  • David_e
    David_e Posts: 1,498 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    neetsy15 wrote: »
    Any advice would be appreciated

I'd read the FAQs again as the information is there. Alternatively, speak to a no win no fee firm.
  • Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you should have been provided transportation to get you from Orlando to Tampa
    What was the time that you arrived in comparison to the original time eg 4 hours earlier, 2 hours later
  • neetsy15
    neetsy15 Posts: 60 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Thanks for both your replies, we landed approx 30 mins later than we should have in Tampa. BA did offer transport however the timescales involved (waiting on other travellers and waiting for a coach) meant we couldnt meet family in Tampa as arranged. So we opted to sort car hire at MCO and make the drive ourselves.

I've had a look over the FAQ's again but couldnt see an option that covered our situation. Technically we landed at a similar time although in the wrong airport and by the time got through MCO customs and travel to Tampa it was around 9pm which was approximately 4.5hrs after our scheduled arrival at Tampa.

I'll make contact with BA but was really just looking to arm myself with any info you had before calling them.

Kind regards
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    IMO neeetsy, you won't have a claim, as you 'jumped ship' through free choice. The airline was going to provide transportation for you.
    It would be the same if you was on a flight back to the UK from - say - Madrid, which had an engine problem that meant an unscheduled stop in - say - Paris - for the engineers to have a quick look over. If you decided at that time (in Paris) that you'd rather not take a chance and fly on that plane any longer, and make your own way for the last part of the journey... do you see?
  • theflyerford
    Options
    Any tips for compensation for this story. I was delayed from Sydney to Edinburgh eventually arriving 15.5 hours late. The delay was announced at the gate and was due to a "dizzy pilot" on the official letter it says the reasons for the delay were "operational". I went through the official EU compensation method with a version of the suggested compensation letter that was received by BA a couple of weeks ago. They replied today stating:
    "Thank you for contacting us. I am sorry for the delay in our response.

Your claim for compensation has been refused because flight BA0016 on 02 July 2014 was delayed due to the medical emergency, which prevented the aircraft operating as scheduled. Under EU legislation, British Airways is not liable for a compensation payment in this situation.

Unfortunately airline operations are subject to circumstances outside the airline's control. British Airways takes all reasonable measures to avoid delaying a flight in such circumstances. Consideration is given to whether there are any operational options available before a decision to delay is made. We are sorry that the delay was necessary in this case.

Thank you again for following this up with us. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you on board again soon."

Any suggestions on what next?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure