Flight delay and cancellation compensation, BA ONLY

Options

Comments

• 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

....Since then there has been a new ruling and I would be grateful for any advice whether I would be able to resubmit my claim.

There has not been any new ruling. The law is 261/2004 - the 2004 is a clue as to when the regulation was first established. You were entitled to compensation and you still are.
  • northerngeezer
    northerngeezer Posts: 1,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    111KAB wrote: »
    There has not been any new ruling. The law is 261/2004 - the 2004 is a clue as to when the regulation was first established. You were entitled to compensation and you still are.

Hi 111KAB, thanks for the reply. Should I then just resubmit my claim as before or threaten legal action.

Once again thanks for your help
  • 111KAB
    111KAB Posts: 3,645 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi 111KAB, thanks for the reply. Should I then just resubmit my claim as before or threaten legal action.

Once again thanks for your help

I would ask them to re-consider the matter and give them 21 days to look back through their files. It is then for you to decide whether to pursue a claim yourself or use a NWNF however if 'threatening' you should be prepared to submit your claim to the court otherwise your threat becomes weak. Prior to issuing a claim you should forward a NBA.
  • Roger_Sleeker
    Options
    I would like to know if we can claim compensation from BA

Scenario - Note Milan has two Airports serviced by BA
    Malpensa and Linate

1. Booked on BA566 - 10/8/14 London Heathrow 15.00 to Milan 18.00 MALPENSA . Booked on air miles for my wife Son and myself so 3 people in total. We are also booked in to stay at the Sheraton hotel in this Airport at Malpensa Sunday evening 10/8/14. This was supposed to be a great start to our 11 day Summer holiday .
    2. 09/8/14 circa 14.00 hours - 25 hours prior to departure I received a text message saying the flight BA566 was cancelled. No phone call even though- they have my mobile number.
    3. I had to phone their call centre and when asked why the flight was cancelled? I Was advised "operational reasons". I asked what does this mean and they could not/would not elaborate!!
    4. So I asked what they intended to do about it?
    5. Offered A flight from Heathrow to Madrid (SPAIN) then to Malpensa arriving 18.10
    6. I refused this as I wanted a direct flight to Malpensa.
    7. They could not offer one but could offer a flight to Milan LINATE the other airport BA562 dep 12.05 and arriving 15.05.
    8. I asked for BA to provide transport (pay for a taxi) to get us from one airport to the other i.e. from LINATE to MALPENSA. BA refused saying I would have to pay myself and make a claim which they could not guarantee they would pay.
    9. Reluctantly I have accepted the flight to Milan LINATE as it would ruin the holiday otherwise if we cancelled all flights.
    10. So I am left with a self funded taxi ride across Milan!!!!!

SO! Long winded but can anyone help advise if we can claim compensation for the flight mainly but also taxi fares??? Very much appreciated
  • Gleeful
    Gleeful Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    edited 9 August 2014 at 10:53PM
    Options
    I would like to know if we can claim compensation from BA

Scenario - Note Milan has two Airports serviced by BA
    Malpensa and Linate

1. Booked on BA566 - 10/8/14 London Heathrow 15.00 to Milan 18.00 MALPENSA . Booked on air miles for my wife Son and myself so 3 people in total. We are also booked in to stay at the Sheraton hotel in this Airport at Malpensa Sunday evening 10/8/14. This was supposed to be a great start to our 11 day Summer holiday .
    2. 09/8/14 circa 14.00 hours - 25 hours prior to departure I received a text message saying the flight BA566 was cancelled. No phone call even though- they have my mobile number.
    3. I had to phone their call centre and when asked why the flight was cancelled? I Was advised "operational reasons". I asked what does this mean and they could not/would not elaborate!!
    4. So I asked what they intended to do about it?
    5. Offered A flight from Heathrow to Madrid (SPAIN) then to Malpensa arriving 18.10
    6. I refused this as I wanted a direct flight to Malpensa.
    7. They could not offer one but could offer a flight to Milan LINATE the other airport BA562 dep 12.05 and arriving 15.05.
    8. I asked for BA to provide transport (pay for a taxi) to get us from one airport to the other i.e. from LINATE to MALPENSA. BA refused saying I would have to pay myself and make a claim which they could not guarantee they would pay.
    9. Reluctantly I have accepted the flight to Milan LINATE as it would ruin the holiday otherwise if we cancelled all flights.
    10. So I am left with a self funded taxi ride across Milan!!!!!

SO! Long winded but can anyone help advise if we can claim compensation for the flight mainly but also taxi fares??? Very much appreciated

Deleted as I was wrong
  • Gleeful
    Options
    Also, see if your travel insurance covers this
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Roger: the Regulation is explicit on this point in para 3 of Article 8:

"3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger."

You should bring this to the attention of BA, who ought to know better.
  • Gleeful
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    Roger: the Regulation is explicit on this point in para 3 of Article 8:

"3. When, in the case where a town, city or region is served by several airports, an operating air carrier offers a passenger a flight to an airport alternative to that for which the booking was made, the operating air carrier shall bear the cost of transferring the passenger from that alternative airport either to that for which the booking was made, or to another close-by destination agreed with the passenger."

You should bring this to the attention of BA, who ought to know better.

Ah so I was wrong! Thanks
  • Roger_Sleeker
    Options
    Thank you both. What about compensation for the flight? Leaving for the airport in a couple of hours!
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thank you both. What about compensation for the flight? Leaving for the airport in a couple of hours!

You really need to FAMILIARISE yourself with the Regulation. Article 5 deals with cancellations. Para 1c says you:

"(c) have the right to compensation by the operating air carrier in accordance with Article 7, unless:

(i) they are informed of the cancellation at least two weeks before the scheduled time of departure; or

(ii) they are informed of the cancellation between two weeks and seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than two hours before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than four hours after the scheduled time of arrival; or

(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival."

You should be able to work it out from that. Compensation for that distance is €250 per passenger.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback