🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

£1 FlipFlops - Wedding Favor

Options

Comments

• SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Okay if it's for the ladies then how about popping some of those gel pads for shoes in a bowl for people to help themselves?

I liked the personalised packets of Rolos that we got at one wedding. Wouldn't have broken the bank and was simply ordinary Rolos with the Bride and Groom's name on the pack. And Rolos are romantic.
  • lemondropp
    Options
    SandC wrote: »
    Okay if it's for the ladies then how about popping some of those gel pads for shoes in a bowl for people to help themselves?

I liked the personalised packets of Rolos that we got at one wedding. Wouldn't have broken the bank and was simply ordinary Rolos with the Bride and Groom's name on the pack. And Rolos are romantic.
    Why? People should be able to take care of themselves in the footwear department.

Personalised bits of cra.p are expensive, they are already getting a meal, entertainment etc.
  • SandC
    SandC Posts: 3,929 Forumite
    Options
    Oh I'm with you, i wouldn't bother at all myself but I think the OP is going to anyway so thought I'd give some suggestions.
  • kingfisherblue
    Options
    I'm 43, and if I was invited to a wedding and given flip flops to wear, I'd wonder why the bride and groom didn't think I was old enough to decide for myself what to wear on my feet. I don't like flip flops - they are uncomfortable and unattractive - and I am quite capable of choosing my own footwear, thank you. It is patronising to imagine that adult guests can't sort themselves out with shoes.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Its lovely when we visit our friends homes and they have them on display in there bathrooms. :j
    Quick.... they're coming .... where the hell did you hide the soddin' things? Fuuuuuuck.... they're outside.... quick, bung this lot in that dish and shove it in the bathroom ...... you KNOW she always checks.... and gets huffy if we've forgotten!! Then, don't forget to put them back in the loft when they've gone ... and put out the decent stuff again.
  • mildred1978
    mildred1978 Posts: 3,367 Forumite
    Options
    SandC wrote: »

I'm not sure how rolos can be romantic when they're made by Nestl!????

"Here have a rolo, darling. You'd hardly know they were made by baby killers, would you??"

:(
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • raven83
    raven83 Posts: 3,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I must admit, when I first read the OP, I thought it had to be a wind up!:o
    Raven. :grinheart:grinheart:grinheart

• DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    Options
    The gesture would be totally wasted on me as I find anything that goes between my toes really painful. Seems like a silly waste of money tbh.
    Slightly bitter
  • iwannabeonthebeach
    Options
    I went to a wedding a few weeks ago where they'd put out a basket of flip flops for people to wear when dancing and none of them were used
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    The common thing now is to have a basket of flip flop so people can change shoes if their shoes are hurting....if you buy new shoes especially for a wedding and they cut in you would be thankful!

As for comments like "I also agree that the Americanised approach of 'favours' (UK spelling) is just, well, ugh. "
    Times change, and "new traditions" come in. Why does it matter if its american, european or whatever!

OP, I wouldn't get everyone a pair as some wont want or need to change. Get enough for say 25-50% of the women guests.

Good luck :)

It matters thatit is not passable as an old and unmissable custum in the country in which the couple are marrying or the culture they are from. It matters, on a money saving site, that people are going into invreasing amounts of debt to pay for a party, particularly if they are under the misapprehension that people want cheap flip flops, tat with the date of someone else's wedding day on them, or stuff with their friends names on.

Really, i go to weddings to widh my friends food luck, to share in their joy and pleasure, and often enough now, to meet up with people only seen when another one gets married, catch up on their news, and be happy.

The little fold up shoes that fit in tiny clutch bags (or with a husbands wallet in the inside pocket of his jacket) are a godsend, and yes, shoes can hurt, but you know, in the days my friends and i danced all night.....we were not above kicking our shoes off if need be. Somehow thie joyful exuberance of dancing barefoot seems less awful than shuffling adound in cheap flip flops and getting blisters between the toes!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport