IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Is the term Bus Gate legal?

Options
Hi

I accidentally drove into a lane labelled 'bus gate'. Pure accident as I was lost... tho I must be PUNISHED for my crime !!!:mad:

I was just wondering if that term is in fact allowed to be printed on the road instead of bus lane? :cool:

Also, this bus gate forked from a main road, so do the council still have to display a warning sign that there is a bus lane ahead, or is that just when the lane is on the left hand side of an existing road?

Ta very much :p

Comments

• LincolnshireYokel
    LincolnshireYokel Posts: 764 Forumite
    edited 30 June 2012 at 4:57PM
    Options
    I suspect there will be smart kids along later, and im no expert on this one, but first i suspect there woudl have to be TRO to make such a road marking, and secondly it woudl have to comply with statutory markings.

Theres nothing about a 'bus gate' in here

http://assets.dft.gov.uk/publications/traffic-signs-manual/traffic-signs-manual-chapter-05.pdf
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • fatbadger2
    fatbadger2 Posts: 195 Forumite
    Options
    THANKS,but what is a TRO and how would that help? :)
  • LincolnshireYokel
    Options
    Traffic regulation order, required to make any sort of road sign or marking legally enforceable. usually all stored atthe Council Highways department and you have a right to see them.
    **** I hereby relieve MSE of all legal responsibility for my post and assume personal responsible for all posts. If any Parking Pirates have a problem with my post then contact me for my solicitors address.*****
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Essex by chance?
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I drove through one about 6 months ago in Basildon, and was told that even though my car had a Hackney plate on the back, because I had no taxi light on, it is treated as a normal car.

They offered to take me to court, at which point I coughed up £30. Essex are some of the worst.

(To give you an idea, there is a picture of the back of my car on another thread this morning. I've now had the light nicked :()
    💙💛 💔
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 30 June 2012 at 8:24PM
    Options
    The use of a road marking has to comply with the traffic signs regulations and general directions regulations, marking 1048 BUS LANE has no other permitted varients, therefore if they have used BUS GATE then they have to have had permission from the Department For Transport.
    If they have not sought DFT permission the road marking is non compliant and should be a win at appeal, the road marking should look like http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/3113/images/uksi_20023113_en_152

You should also look at the signage, the regulations state that bus lanes have to be signed accordingly, if they dont conform they could also be non compliant and again all adds to the argument at appeal.

I am currently fighting one for my brother in Bath so am fairly up tp speed on bus lane stuff, however for even more advice I would say register on pepipoo and start a new thread in the council tickets section, take scans of all paperwork you have had from the council so far and street view links to the road in question and photos if you have them, the more stuff you can provide the better the defence you will have at appeal.

There a bit more info on ticketfighter as well. http://www.ticketfighter.co.uk/bus.htm
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 30 June 2012 at 9:00PM
    Options
    CKhalvashi wrote: »
    I drove through one about 6 months ago in Basildon, and was told that even though my car had a Hackney plate on the back, because I had no taxi light on, it is treated as a normal car.

They offered to take me to court, at which point I coughed up £30. Essex are some of the worst.

(To give you an idea, there is a picture of the back of my car on another thread this morning. I've now had the light nicked :()

Nope, you needn't have thrown in the towel so quickly! They did not offer to take you to Court, you just read it that way.

There is no Court over decriminalised contraventions, it's just an adjudicator. Like an office meeting, that's all. And MOST PEOPLE WIN.

If you are a taxi driver it's in your interests to know about pepipoo forums, see below, you could have won!

fatbadger2 wrote: »
    Hi

I accidentally drove into a lane labelled 'bus gate'. Pure accident as I was lost... tho I must be PUNISHED for my crime !!!:mad:

I was just wondering if that term is in fact allowed to be printed on the road instead of bus lane? :cool:

Also, this bus gate forked from a main road, so do the council still have to display a warning sign that there is a bus lane ahead, or is that just when the lane is on the left hand side of an existing road?

Ta very much :p

As muckybutt says, register on pepipoo as they can help most people win most Council PCN appeals in the end, as long as you don't give up when you get a standard 'computer says no' letter like poor CKhalvashi did!

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showforum=30

HTH, look at a few threads and learn about the forum, then register and put up a new topic with pictures of your PCN (all sides of all letters, all small print except car reg and name/address and PCN number).
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • jrrowleyws
    jrrowleyws Posts: 652 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fatbadger2 wrote: »
    I accidentally drove into a lane labelled 'bus gate'. Pure accident as I was lost...

If you do challenge your ticket... Please don't use the excuse of being lost. Even when you are lost the highway code still applies as does British law.

"I didn't mean to run over the person, I was lost and so didn't look where I was going"
  • mikey72
    mikey72 Posts: 14,680 Forumite
    Options
    Maybe you need to get up to speed on bus gates, and previous rulings, before posting categorical statements to the op?
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mikey72 wrote: »
    Maybe you need to get up to speed on bus gates, and previous rulings, before posting categorical statements to the op?

Who is that directed at ?
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family