PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Breakfast ideas (apart from toast or cereal).

Options
Eliza252
Eliza252 Posts: 449 Forumite
edited 28 January 2014 at 1:54PM in Old style MoneySaving
I need to revamp my breakfast routine - I know loads of you dont eat breakfast in the morning but I can quite happily get out of bed and eat chocolate cake, I am usually really hungrey! - there is loads of talk of dinners on the mse board - but I rarely eat a big meal in the evening - just have a bit of soup...
The problem is I always assume breakfast cereal is reeeeaaly expensive - this is mainly because I can never eat just one bowl :rolleyes: . I coud go with toast but thats just boring :D . I have very limited time to wolf down breakfast (usually manage to drag myself out of bed by 6:30 and out of the door by 7:00).
Does anyone prepare their breakfast the night before? and what do you eat? Cheap breakfast tips please!!!

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!

Comments

• Debt_Free_Chick
    Debt_Free_Chick Posts: 13,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Porridge!

Cheap.

Filling.

Quick to make (put it on while you go for a shower or make in m/wave)

Good complex carbohydrates, ensuring a slow, steady release of energy into the bloodstream.

You could "spice it up" with some banana or honey, for extra energy.

:)
    Warning ..... I'm a peri-menopausal axe-wielding maniac ;)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    think the old saying goes breakfast like a king, eat dinner like a prince and supper like a pauper?

i never feel particularly in the mood for food at breakfast, but since making sure i do eat something, i am starting to feel a lot less lethargic during the day.

currently, breakfast involves eating my way through the cereal cupboard (which contains 2 packs half eaten cornflakes, shops own rice crispies, ready brek, several different forms of muesli, bag of porridge oats) followed by a slice of toast or piece of fruit, washed down with a glass of fruit juice or milk.

i've found the hardest thing has been getting into the routine of eating something after going for so many years not eating breakie. but i am slowly starting to feel the benefits, which is a good enough reason to plough on.

bon appetite!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    well, I managed to sleep in this monring so nothing for me this morning!!!! And I refuse to grab a coffee and croissant as that wouldn't be very mse old-style! although sometimes, I do let myself have this as a treat - but only if I have planned and factored it into my budget.

I usually run around like a mad thing in the mornings so quick is best. I usually have a bowl of cereal or a yoghart, or sometimes both.

However, I think I may start trying poridge. Any tips on how to make it?
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • Eliza252
    Eliza252 Posts: 449 Forumite
    Options
    hmm.. porridge. I do have a box of the dreaded ready-brek in the back of my cupboard (shuffles feet and looks guilty) but I got a bit board and I couldnt stop buying expensive dried fruit to put in it - plus the microwave wakes up my flat mate who doesnt get up till 7ish. mm... maybe I should drag it out again though - could come up with some weird and wonderful stuff to put in it I'm sure...! ;)
    I've made my debts bite-size too depressing to look at all at once so am handling them one at a time - first up Graduate Loan £1720 paid off! only £280 to go!!!
    Money to raise for tuition fees: £3000
    When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on!!
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I always eat cereal, but I always buy it on offer.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    r.mac

If I'm making porridge for us all I do it in the saucepan.

But if I'm making just one bowlful (DS insits on it almost daily) I put about an ounce and a half of oats (tesco value) and about 6floz of milk in a bowl
    microwave on high for 1 min, stir and micro for about 30 secs more.

I add raisins or apricots or banana at the end.

Bonus - no saucepan to wash!!!!:D
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    HERE is Jamie Olivers recipe for porridge, it is made up the night before, so all you have to do in the morning is heat it up (which you can do whilst you're in the bathroom so it's ready to eat when you're done)

I like porridge with sliced apple and raisins in hmmmm
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • Ticklemouse
    Ticklemouse Posts: 5,030 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Porridge the Ticklemouse Way :D

1 part Oats (Tesco Value are fine, just as good as expensive brands)
    2 parts milk (boys have s/skimmed, I used skimmed)

Cook in micro on high for 3 mins. Mine is a 950 watt m/wave. Stir. Add sultanas/raisins etc. I often blast for another 30 seconds to plump up fruit. Serve with sliced strawberries or prunes on top. No need for salt or sugar. Very filling and nutritious as well as cheap.

For measuring, I use small plastic pots that I used to put baby food in to freeze as they are the right size. Otherwise use say 1/2 cup oats to 1 cup milk and use a big enough bowl as it sometimes boils up over the sides :D Other peeps have their own ideas about how to make porridge and what to acompany it with but I don't like it made with salt and water, nor do I like it sweet. Just try it and see - different recipe and amounts each day until you find the one you like.

Enjoy.
  • honey
    honey Posts: 703 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I keep a bag of summer fruits in the freezer take a portion out the night before and in the morning add a yogurt (raspberry goes v. v. well).

It's a lovely refreshing brekkie, quite light though so you might want to have toast too!!:D
  • apprentice_tycoon
    Options
    my vote is for porridge too - made with a small measure of oats and one each of milk and water, mic'ed for 2 and a half minutes then a sprinkle of demerara on top
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure