PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Breakfast ideas (apart from toast or cereal).

Options

Comments

• raeble
    raeble Posts: 911 Forumite
    Options
    Oh yes I make my porridge in the microwave as well. I can't be doing with it burning. Just make sure that it doesn't start to boil over while in the microwave, its a real pain to clean up.
  • Galtizz
    Galtizz Posts: 1,016 Forumite
    Options
    If it does burn in the pan sprinkle some bio powder in the bottom of the pan, add boiling water and leave it for as long as possible (try all day or 24 hours)

Then it'll just wipe off. :)

To clean the microwave put 1/2 a lemon and a small pot of water and set the micro going on high for 1 minute. It should loosen all the dirt and make it easier to wipe off with a DAMP cloth (don't use a wet cloth because of the electrics) :)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt ;)
  • r.mac_2
    r.mac_2 Posts: 4,746 Forumite
    Options
    All these sound great. I have added poridge oats (value brand of course) to my shopping list. Oh, along with some bananas and prunes! I will have a go and see if I like it!

On special occassions or weekends, I like scrambled egg on a bagel for brekkie. Yum Yum.
    aless02 wrote: »
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response :p
  • margaret_3
    margaret_3 Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Options
    r.mac wrote:

I usually run around like a mad thing in the mornings so quick is best. I usually have a bowl of cereal or a yoghart, or sometimes both.

However, I think I may start trying poridge. Any tips on how to make it?

I use a traditional Highland porridge which has been handed down.
    It is very easy to make as well as being cheap and very creamy.
    The previous night soak about 1 tablespoon of oatmeal per serving [fine or medium according to your taste]with enough milk to make a paste.
    In the morning,over the hob add sufficient boiling water to your desired consistency, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, a knob of butter and a pinch of salt and stir it well until boiling point, reduce the heat and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes. Don't put the salt in until it's nearly ready as putting it in early makes the grain coarse.
    This sounds quite complicated but it's not.
    I made mine this morning in between having a shower and getting dressed.
    Not only is genuine oatmeal cheaper than oats, but this is a deliciously creamy porridge
    Margaret
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Penny-Pincher!! Posts: 8,325 Forumite
    Options
    Hi There

I either have a bacon butty with HP & milky coffee, or toast & marmite or porridge.

Saturday we have a brunch about 11'ish with sausage, bacon, egg, beans, mushrooms, hash browns & fried bread..yummy :D

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!
    FEB GC/DIESEL £200/4 WEEKS
  • Jay-Jay_4
    Jay-Jay_4 Posts: 7,351 Forumite
    Options
    It's gotta be toasted crumpets with melted cheese on!

They must be Warburtons crumpets and they must have Cathederal City cheese on. I toast the crumpets in the toaster and melt the cheese in a bowl in the micro. fattening, stodgy and expensive....YUM :D
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• rchddap1
    rchddap1 Posts: 5,926 Forumite
    Options
    I don't usually have breakfast, but this morning I was hungry and had some shredded wheat with lots of nice cold milk. It filled a rather large hole in my tummy.

Mind you, it is a while since I have had porridge and I do love it. I think that I'll have to put it on the menu for tomorrow.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 :eek: Now seemingly a normal little monster. :beer:
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
  • catznine
    catznine Posts: 3,192 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I usually have some home made muesli with fruit juice. I make this up once a week when I have some time to play! Big bowl oats, chopped up dried apricots, sultanas, dates, walnuts then add some bran. I vary this according to what is in the larder, if I have sunflower seeds or linseeds then they go in as well. Then in the morning just put some in a bowl and I pour over some apple or orange juice. Very quick to make.

If we are not in a hurry I cook up some eggs, this morning boiled organic eggs with wholemeal toast and marmite and a big glass orange juice.

I agree that normal toast is a bit boring and I sometimes make cinnamon toast, which is naughty but nice, After you butter your toast sprinkle on a mixture of 4tsp sugar (brown is better) and 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Pop under grill until bubbling.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • elvis_bloggs
    elvis_bloggs Posts: 8,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My usual brekkie is a big bowl of muesli followed by a bigger bowl of porridge, with salt not sugar...then I have a couple of fruity yoghurts followed by coffee and a bread roll, then I have a second cup of coffee....for my elevenses I just have alka-seltzer. 1a_y_tongue1.gif

• Loadsabob
    Loadsabob Posts: 662 Forumite
    Options
    I have started to have a bowl of bran flakes with a whole banana chopped in. That way I get bran, milk, one of my five fruit and veg...and enough energy to take me through to lunch. I buy one bunch of organic bananas per week. I like them when they're just starting to turn yellow, and I keep them in the fridge so that they don't ripen further - I hate them when they go speckly! Unfortunately I have found that I prefer the Kellogs flakes at £1.88 to the Tesco ones at £1.30ish...I preferred the flavour and found the own label ones were all broken up, so went mushy in the milk quicker...which I also don't like!

I've always thought of cereals as expensive, too! My boyfriend convinced me it's NOT a luxury! I guess you can pay over the odds for some sugary rubbish, but bran flakes go a long way.

I'm definitely going to have a go at the Highland porridge with oatmeal instead of oats. I heard from a Scot on TV, too, that it was nicer, and creamy. I can't wait - and I already have oatmeal in for my facial scrub!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport