🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Road Angel Classic - When is Lifetime Subscription not for Life?

Options
I have had a Road Angel Classic for 6 or 7 years and paid a 'life time Subscription' in 2006 thinking that it meant, if not my life, the life of the product.

Yesterday I received a letter from Road Angel telling me they were discontinuing the support subscriptions from June this year, and citing various reasons and justifications - mainly around the difficulty of migrating the database.

I will have had under 6 years of a 'life time subscription' which I feel is against both the spirit and wording of the the original deal, which reads -

Subscription Costs

Affordable Downloads & Receive 6 Months FREE, then pay only £49.00 a year
Or £79.00 for two years
Or one up-front payment of just £99.00 = life time subscription
Perform as many downloads as you like

The company is offering a current product with a small reduction but annual subscription costs are required, which I thought I had avoided by purchasing a lifetime subscription.

Owners have the opportunity to object by 11th May 2012, but in the meantime I am interested to know whether what the company want to do is actually legal, or whether there are already precedents defining what a lifetime subscription actually means.

Any views?

Comments

• vax2002
    vax2002 Posts: 7,187 Forumite
    Options
    Obviously making it quite clear they dont want your custom in future
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Delivery_Driver
    Options
    It seems like they deem a lifetime as the shelf life of that product.Begs the question why trust them on the next version?
  • pendulum
    pendulum Posts: 2,302 Forumite
    Options
    I'd probably accept their offer of the small reduction on the newer product, but only on the basis they carry on my lifetime updates from the old product on to the new one.

If they won't do that then I'd certainly try and argue for a good chunk of the money back.
  • colino
    colino Posts: 5,059 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    It sounds like a pretty ham-fisted, reputation risking con. Demand your money back and buy elsewhere.
  • Cadders1
    Options
    I also received a letter yesterday, and emailed my objections back straight away - no confirmation of receipt yet! It seems that they have redefined the definition of 'Lifetime'. My Road Angel was purchased December 2005, and will now become essentially unuseable, as it can't be updated. This does seem to be a case of false advertising, as I only purchased this unit based on their lifetime subscription offer. I have rejected their alternative offer, and will certainly request a refund if the service is discontinued. A refund should not only cover the initial subscription, but also reflect that they have written off my Classic. Would I deal with this company again????
    I will advise of any reply I get.
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I imagine that RA have calculated how many lifetime subscription users they have and think it's OK to have some of them being peed off, some of them being OK with it and some of them taking the opportunity to upgrade.

I now have 4 RA units sitting in boxes in the garage. Why? Tom Toms and other satnavs have just as good warnings and must have caned RA revenue and product sales.

To be honest the original RA Classic was the best unit they ever produced.
    The man without a signature.
  • Destination_..._?
    Options
    I came across a Nova alpha v3 speed camera warning device for sale advertising free life updates aswell looks very good little device . I spoke to the company selling it enquired regarding the updates for life for free , the gentleman said as long as this company exists you will have no problem it's some sort of limited special offer ?
    Really am tempted .
  • vikingaero
    vikingaero Posts: 10,920 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I came across a Nova alpha v3 speed camera warning device for sale advertising free life updates aswell looks very good little device . I spoke to the company selling it enquired regarding the updates for life for free , the gentleman said as long as this company exists you will have no problem it's some sort of limited special offer ?
    Really am tempted .

You probably mean the Novus Alpha...

How long will these companies last? Remember Adam Blair and the Talex GPS scam?
    The man without a signature.
  • Yorkshire_Dangermouse
    Options
    As per several others, I've responded by noting that they are trying to introduce the term "reasonable lifetime", when of course there is no mention of this in the contract or any of the marketing material.

As to options available to me/us, I've said that if they do terminate the service, then I'll be obliged to purchase an alternative product and (lifetime/successive annual) subscription, and either they pay for this or I'll see them in Small Claims Court.

Will be writing as well as emailing....
  • banjo_2
    banjo_2 Posts: 31 Forumite
    Options
    I too have recieved this letter and am not very happy , any ideas as to how to word a complaint letter ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport