Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • koolkatsaffi
    • By koolkatsaffi 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    • 606Posts
    • 2,341Thanks
    koolkatsaffi
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week?
    • 19th Mar 12, 12:00 PM
    What is your charity shop bargain of the week? 19th Mar 12 at 12:00 PM
    MSE Official Insert:

We love the charity shop bargain thread and love to highlight what you've spotted, including £2 Liboutin shoes! Click on the last few pages to read the latest bargains others have found.

Back to the original post...

-----------

Like many moneysavers I have a bit of an addiction to charity shops (CS) ...

In my opinion it is a win/win situation for all concerned and the BEST form of recycling...I feel a great sense of satisfaction when I buy items from CS - far more than if I brought the items from a high street shop - It is not just the money issue, It is the fact that my purchase will help others too...

I regularly trawl the local ones and frequently visit others further afield with friends as a girls lunch/day out...

After reading a few posts on MSE it was suggested that we start a new thread of posting our latest charity shop bargains and finds...

I will start...

This last week I needed a Mothers Day gift for my Mum in Law...I had already bought some gorgeous artificial full pom-pom head chrysanthemums that she had been cooing over in a local shop...I didn't want to just give her the flowers on their own, plus they would need an extra large vase to display them properly...The vases in the shops were silly prices (£20+) so I popped along to our local hospice shop where I found a fabulous, immaculate, tall vase perfect to display them in for just £2.50

She was over the moon with them and so pleased with the vase!

So come on folks - What is YOUR latest bargain/find?

If you havenít already, join the forum to reply!

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 18-08-2014 at 2:02 PM.
    Gains & £'s saved..Far too many to mention! Needless to say I LOVE MSE!

'Smile in the face of adversity..Whilst thinking where you can bury the bodies'

Area representative for National Association for Bikers with a Disability A cripple is a person who thinks a disabled person cannot ride a motorcycle
Page 273
    • GreenBitterfly
    • By GreenBitterfly 8th Sep 16, 2:30 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    GreenBitterfly
    some charity shops I think send a certain amount of for ragging, but from my point of view it would be nice to have a bin of not-too-bobbly clothes that sold for pennies for sew fans like me. I'm sure it'd be thought of as a pain in some shops tho cos having to keep them in a separate rummage bin.
    Originally posted by purpleybat
    I don't think it was clothes they were talking about, but general bric a brac, I sneaked a look at the bags the lady was bringing in, and they did seem general items that perhaps wouldn't be suitable for charity shop selling, like those plastic flower type windmills you can buy at the seaside.

Yesterday, I went to the Oxfam bookshop, and I managed to pick up a hardback copy of the Susan Hill book, Howards End is on the Landing. I was just mentioning to my mum, I should buy a copy, and as it's out of print in hardback, I was eyeing up a secondhand copy on World of Books. But I couldn't believe it when I saw a copy, in the Oxfam shop, it was £2.49, a bit more than my usual budget for charity shop books, but I've never seen it anywhere else in a charity shop, so I thought I best buy it.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 8th Sep 16, 3:39 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    9 books by one of my favourite authors for £6. Dearer than my own local CS where they would have been half that price but I really wanted them and it's all for a good cause after all.
    GC £250 each month. Aug £187.35. Sept £174.44
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 8th Sep 16, 4:07 PM
    • 1,071 Posts
    • 7,195 Thanks
    Living proof
    That sounds amazing! I wish we glad an evening car boot, especially with things at those prices! I love soap and glory stuff!
    Originally posted by Georgiegirl256
    I did leave some for others! I just can't work out how late in the season it will run as it's outside and even if they put in lighting it would be difficult to see the stalls in detail. In Scotland there was a big car boot and indoor market on a Sunday in a car auction building, and that was great all year round. Sadly now sold off for housing I hear, although I am sure the younger generation will breath a sigh of relief!
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 9th Sep 16, 11:36 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 21,334 Thanks
    Mirů
    This week's bargains......

M & S tan jersey top with £18 price tag attached....50p

M & S navy scoopy neck t-shirt.....50p

both from the hospice sale

Gap dark brown 'ankle grazers' .....on the £1 sale rail at the community shop. I thought these were going to be a bargain ....put them thro the washer and turned them inside out to give them a good press only to find that someone had done some alterations and very badly. They had narrowed the legs by sewing very bumpy seams and left the edges raw and also they had shortened them by using that dreadful iron-on wundaweb stuff. Had to unpick everything and cut off the hems and start again. Only took me 2 hours and 3 broken machine needles! Anyhoo....got there in the end and now have a well-fitting, good quality pair of trousers
    "Change is inevitable..........except from a vending machine"
    • Margaret_
    • By Margaret_ 16th Sep 16, 10:30 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    Margaret_
    Today I found three rather nice little sherry glasses for £1.50. I've been after some for a while, so I'm very pleased.
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 16th Sep 16, 10:34 AM
    • 63 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Indigo sweater as new £2.50 and a RedHerring tee shirt BNWT £2.50
    GC £250 each month. Aug £187.35. Sept £174.44
    • Georgiegirl256
    • By Georgiegirl256 16th Sep 16, 10:43 AM
    • 6,555 Posts
    • 18,605 Thanks
    Georgiegirl256
    Have had lots of clothng bargains lately (Abercrombie and Fitch, Altitude shorts for cycling , can't remember what else lol!) as one of the AgeUK shops (not the £1 one) has a 50p sale on! Que loads of mad women running around with arm fulls of clothes!
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 16th Sep 16, 12:09 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 21,334 Thanks
    Mirů
    This week's bargains from the hospice chazza sale.......

Stone coloured lightweight jacket £4

Silky kimono-type smocky top in navy and bottle green 50p

I'm currently looking for lightweight clothes that will not crease & crumple and both will be perfect for a forthcoming touring holiday which will involve living out of a suitcase for two weeks

(Now, if only I could find a nice new four wheeler suitcase!)
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 16th Sep 16, 3:23 PM
    • 19,773 Posts
    • 38,740 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    No chaz-ing for me this week, quite the reverse in fact.

Instead I picked up some books from a lady that needed some items donating to the charity shop, they went to CRUK. I didn't buy any back as light fiction / crime isn't my thing.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Sep 16, 3:42 PM
    • 14,727 Posts
    • 33,861 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Against my better judgement I bought a Wallis jersey dress in various shades of greens & purples tropical print.
    It fits me perfectly and goes with my jade green Birkenstock sandals and will be the first thing in my suitcase for my up-coming holiday.
    I almost put it back on the rack at £6.99 but once I'd tried it on, it was mine.
    That'll teach me to wander into British Heart Foundation shop.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 19th Sep 16, 6:05 PM
    • 3,086 Posts
    • 34,117 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Last week 16 different charity shops in 4 days! (in 4 different towns).... and there were more but we ran out of energy in the heat

Brand new candle holders 4x @ 25pence each- destined to be donated as raffle prizes.
    Joanna Hope (dear) b&w dressy top £1

Last month local shop - full length pair lined curtains- £1- going to be made into quite a few shopping bags to sell for charity.
    Berkertex beaded jumper £1- prezzie in the £5 challenge stakes
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!

If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Thank You
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 19th Sep 16, 6:26 PM
    • 19,773 Posts
    • 38,740 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    I popped into a South Essex chazzer at the weekend and was pleased to come out with a copy of one of my favourite books for 25p and a beautifully embroidered pink t-shirt (Designers for Debenhams) for our princess for 40p. Who would have thought that spending 65p could secure mucho, mucho happiness?!

Today I wore a beaded blouse that my mum secured from that same chaz last week for 75p. Compliments followed me...
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • C J
    • By C J 19th Sep 16, 8:25 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    C J
    From the Blue Cross shop on Saturday I bought a selection of books for just 30p each, all in fabulous as-new condition :

Alan Bennett, Writing Home (includes The Lady In The Van)
    Terry Pratchett, Thud!
    A set of three Alan Garner books (Elidor, The Moon of Gomrath, and The Weirdstone of Brisingamen) which I haven't read since I was a child so am looking forward to re-reading then passing on to my daughter's primary school library
    A set of three brand new and sealed in cellophane Top Gear books, silly ones about their various car challenges which can go into Mister CJ's Christmas stocking.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • Towser
    • By Towser 19th Sep 16, 9:26 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 1,389 Thanks
    Towser
    Now that term time is back at last I can go chazza shopping while the kids are school.

DS1 needed an umbrella so I found one in the local hospice shop having a sale so that they could refurb the shop. 50p bargain.

Not so fast. DS1 thought it was great as it was quick release and up. I had to stop him playing with it to avoid breaking it. Next thing I know it has been left on school bus not to be found so far!

In one hand and out the other.
    • C J
    • By C J 20th Sep 16, 8:21 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 3,798 Thanks
    C J
    I've lost count of the number of umbrellas (hockey sticks/violins/clarinets) which my daughters left on the bus when they were younger. When daughter number two wanted to learn a musical instrument, I insisted she learn piano simply so she wouldn't leave it on the bus.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 22nd Sep 16, 11:52 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    bobsa1
    I got one of these today.
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/18108/Lakeland-20cm-Chinois

New in box for the princely sum of £1.50 and dd a denim skirt for £2
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 23rd Sep 16, 8:20 AM
    • 14,727 Posts
    • 33,861 Thanks
    Pollycat
    A BNWT M&S strappy sun dress in purpley/pink with a ditsy print.
    Original M&S tag for £25 and the Age UK tag reducing it to 99p.

It's on the 'possible' list for my upcoming holiday, will be good to pop on to take a walk out for lunch or round the pool.
    • Mirů
    • By Mirů 23rd Sep 16, 12:19 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 21,334 Thanks
    Mirů
    Just a couple of things this week.......

Winter weight black trousers, as new and fit perfectly everywhere! Waist right size and in right place, length right and legs just the shape I like. Amazing!! Strange there wasn't a makers label in them or I would go looking for more. £3

DK travel guide book, perfect for a forthcoming holiday 25p, (£9 on Amazon)

Both from the community chazza....
    • sazzlebgood?
    • By sazzlebgood? 23rd Sep 16, 10:12 PM
    • 36 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    sazzlebgood?
    spent £2.50 on a large clock and 8 picture frames to make a new piece of art work for our front room all bought from our local hospice shop. Been inspired by the fill your home for 'free' on channel 4. Although my art work isn't free it makes me smile as I've used an old map book and cut out maps of all our favourite holiday places ; )
    £12.50 saved on grow your own and save
    • bobsa1
    • By bobsa1 24th Sep 16, 10:34 PM
    • 1,776 Posts
    • 1,660 Thanks
    bobsa1
    We had a wander round quite a few cs today but I only bought a Lakeland pudding steamer New in box £2.50 I've wanted to make a Christmas pudding for years but the wrapping and steaming faff has put me off so I'm really pleased with this find
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,412Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin