IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Roxburghe debt collectors A S Security - Parking fine

Options
Hello people,

I received a parking fine in a car park by A S Securi-T on 03-11-2011. I read few forums here which advised to ignore it an I did the same.

Today I've received a letter from Roxburghe debt collectors saying I need to pay that fine, now with an increased amount.

My question is shall I ignore it yet again or should I take any form of action like replying them to saying the named person and car are not registered to the address or anything like that?

They have actually spelled the name wrong anyway :)

Suggestions will be appreciated?

I need to know to what extent these guys can go? They got the info off DVLA for the address which means they are real?

Thanks

Comments

• demented_weasel
    demented_weasel Posts: 63 Forumite
    edited 16 December 2011 at 7:29PM
    Options
    Did they call it a fine? Only the police and councils can issue parking fines.

You've received a speculative invoice.

When they issue real court papers, come back for advice. Otherwise ignore
  • funkycoldribena
    Options
    Let me take a really wild guess....its signed by Michael Sobell.....
    How do I know that???
    Went shoplifting at the Disneystore today.

Got a huge Buzz out of it.
  • HO87
    HO87 Posts: 4,296 Forumite
    Options
    Could you clarify exactly who it was that issued the original parking charge? Was it: AS Securi-T Ltd, AS Securi-T, or VP Parking Solutions Ltd t/a AS Securi-T?

AS Securi-T Ltd of High Street, Southampton, went into liquidation earlier this year (March IIRC) and the winding up of the company is being dealt with by the Official Receiver. This company should not be trading and, according to staff at the OR's office in Southampton, no other legal entity has any right to trade in that name least of all be collecting debts of their behalf.

For sake of ease I would simply ignore all of the nonsense from Roxborg. They remain under investigation by the Office of Fair Trading who told them formally in May that the OFT was "minded to revoke" their debt collection licence. Bear in mind that as a DCA they have as much power as you and I to enforce debts - but of course are always anxious for you to think otherwise. Why else do DCA's "big up" their authority by issuing threats to take action they all too frequently have no authority or power to take in the first place? This sort of action when practiced in the schoolyard is called bullying and is no more acceptable when carried out by large anonymous organisations trying to line their own pockets than when used by spotty youths with an aggression problem.

Ignore them!
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • ShabsZ
    Options
    Did they call it a fine? Only the police and councils can issue parking fines.

You've received a speculative invoice.

When they issue real court papers, come back for advice. Otherwise ignore

Well they call it PARKING CHARGE NOTICE, not fine! And say that they I did not pay the amount originally that's why they have been asked to collect the amount now...???

Just want to know if they can go any further if I don't pay?
  • trisontana
    trisontana Posts: 9,472 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    ShabsZ wrote: »
    Well they call it PARKING CHARGE NOTICE, not fine! And say that they I did not pay the amount originally that's why they have been asked to collect the amount now...???

They are at liberty to send you some more toilet paper if they wish.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • HO87
    Options
    ShabsZ wrote: »

Thanks ShabsZ but who are "they"? What business name - in full - is shown on the ticket?
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016). :(

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
  • ShabsZ
    Options
    HO87 wrote: »
    Could you clarify exactly who it was that issued the original parking charge? Was it: AS Securi-T Ltd, AS Securi-T, or VP Parking Solutions Ltd t/a AS Securi-T?

AS Securi-T Ltd of High Street, Southampton, went into liquidation earlier this year (March IIRC) and the winding up of the company is being dealt with by the Official Receiver. This company should not be trading and, according to staff at the OR's office in Southampton, no other legal entity has any right to trade in that name least of all be collecting debts of their behalf.

For sake of ease I would simply ignore all of the nonsense from Roxborg. They remain under investigation by the Office of Fair Trading who told them formally in May that the OFT was "minded to revoke" their debt collection licence. Bear in mind that as a DCA they have as much power as you and I to enforce debts - but of course are always anxious for you to think otherwise. Why else do DCA's "big up" their authority by issuing threats to take action they all too frequently have no authority or power to take in the first place? This sort of action when practiced in the schoolyard is called bullying and is no more acceptable when carried out by large anonymous organisations trying to line their own pockets than when used by spotty youths with an aggression problem.

Ignore them!

It says "Our Client: A S Securi-T" has instructed Roxburghe that the mentioned vehicle and driver should have paid. And that failure to do so in time it was passed on to them and they contacted DVLA for the details (under Regulation 27(1)(e) of the Road Vehicles (Registration and Licensing) Regulations 2002) and that they have been advised that the mentioned name was the registered keeper at the time.

It also says to pa the amount (£104) within 14 days of the letter.

Now what do you guys suggest? :(
  • ShabsZ
    Options
    HO87 wrote: »
    Thanks ShabsZ but who are "they"? What business name - in full - is shown on the ticket?

Sorry for the confusion, let me rephrase it again :)

Initially, 'A S Securi-T' issued a ticket to which no reply (or payment) was made and now Roxburghe Debt Collectors have sent a letter saying that they have been instructed by 'A S Securi-T' about the unpaid 'PARKING CHARGE NOTICE' and after contacting DVLA the mentioned name is the driver of the vehicle at the time.

???
  • ShabsZ
    Options
    Let me take a really wild guess....its signed by Michael Sobell.....
    How do I know that???

Nope, it's signed by Steve Dargonne ...
  • HO87
    Options
    Thanks ShabsZ. To the best of my knowledge there is no such company as AS Securi-T. What other detailsof this company were given on the original ticket? The fact that Roxborg appear to have obtained the registered keeper details from DVLA rather than AS Securi-T themselves - which is what would normally happen - suggests to me that they have no standing.

Although of little consequence to you it is of some note that Roxborg - a member of the BPA AOS and therefore entitled to access to the DVLA "electronic link" are acting on behalf of non-AOS members in terms of carrying out DVLA checks on their behalf. It is my belief that this was specifically outlawed some years ago by the DVLA.

From the point of view of debt collection the usual scenario is that a debt collector acts "on behalf" of, in this case AS Securi-T, and writes a few letters chasing the debt. If they coollect on it they take a cut and the past the rest back to the PPC. Rarely, very rarely the PPC "sells" the debt to the debt collector by what is known assignment (usually for pence on the pound) who then collect the full outstanding amount on their own behalf.

In this case Roxborg are not alleging that they "own" the debt and I assume you would have recalled if you had received a letter from AS Securi-T stating that in accordance with the terms of the Law of Property Act 1925 they had assigned the outstanding money to Roxborg. In which case Roxborg are merely acting on behalf of their client and will presumably report back to them in due course. That report would also - presumably - include the details of the registered keeper of the vehicle involved in your case that Roxborg admit they have obtained from the DVLA. As AS Securi-T do not appear to be registered for the purposes of the Data Protection Act 1998 then any such disclosure of that detail to their client may represent a breach of the Act. It is certainly at odds with the terms of the ATA agreement between the BPA and the DVLA and you might consider complaining to the DVLA and the BPA (though don't expect any action by either).

As there does not appear to be a legal entity known as AS Securi-T then it cannot enter into a contract (it doesn't legally exist) neither can it be owed any money and nor can it pursue any legal action. To my knowledge neither AS nor their "real" successor company VP Parking Solutions have ever done court. In any event, for the reasons above, the chances of there ever being any formal action can only be regarded as somewhere on the scale of nil to zero.

Steve Dargonne is Roxborg's "Parking Services Manager". Used to work at a bank on the south coast a few years ago. Well known character.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure