PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The dangerous wind this week. Self-help

Options
I am worried for those of you in the danger areas as highlighted by the met office

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html?day=2

I believe that there is a real risk of windows blowing in as well as objects flying around outside. If I lived up there, then I would be putting emergency stuff into a room that is facing away from the direction of the coming wind. You need to work that out from the weather forecast on bbc but from memory, that would be in a room facing east/n.east. Imagine the worst case scenario and plan as though it could happen.

documents
warm clothing
flasks of hot drinks
foods

Close your curtains if the windows start rattling or before going to work. Several people had windows blown out when we lived in s wales and it is very frightening. Your winds will be far worse if the met office is right

Comments

• rising_from_the_ashes
    Options
    We've got a Red warning for gales here for tomorrow & Friday :( ..... must try to remember to put the sand bags in the car in the morning for some extra weight (it's tiny and very light so does blow around a lot).

Great advice Kittie, funnily enough I've left my curtains shut the past few days as it's been so cold (and it stops the drafts and helps keep the worst of the cold out during the day).

The cats will not be let out tomorrow morning (just in case I can't get them back in before I leave for work) as don't want them stuck outside if it gets really bad during the day.

Unfortunately it's recycling day and there are already loads of the stupid recycling boxes we've got flying around with the contents everywhere ....

I have dug out the corded phone, put batteries into the torches / camping lanterns and also left the gas fire with the pilot light on in case the power goes.

Not looking forward to it ....... keep safe everyone.
    Grocery Challenge £211/£455 (01/01-31/03)
    2016 Sell: £125/£250
    £1,000 Emergency Fund Challenge #78 £3.96 / £1,000
    Vet Fund: £410.93 / £1,000
    Debt free & determined to stay that way!
  • freyasmum
    freyasmum Posts: 20,597 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oooh, I'm right in that red area.

Should've heard the wind all last night too - I've never heard anything so loud :o
  • skintscotslass
    Options
    I'm in the red too...very scary.

Thank you for thinking about us Kittie. I'm definately keeping the curtains closed while I'm at work.
  • cooking-mama
    cooking-mama Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    edited 7 December 2011 at 10:37PM
    Options
    :eek:Thanks Kittie i didnt realise it was gonna be so bad,we only got our 6ft gate put back up at the weekend after the last high winds last week..suppose id better bring in the artificial outdoor tree and lights...door canopy icicles and plastic greenhouses:(
    we have a santa hanging from a bedroom window..might leave him there to take his chances;)
    im working 12 til 8 tomorrow,hope i dont get blown all over the road driving to or from work,ive only got a wee VW polo.
    OMG ,just read this from the met office,as to what to expect.

"Widespread structural damage, e.g. roofs blown off, mobile homes overturned, power lines brought down.
    Risk to personal safety from flying debris.
    Potentially widespread and/or prolonged interruptions to power.
    Expect widespread transport disruption due to e.g. roads blocked by fallen trees.2

Thats it...Santas coming in!
    Slimming World..Wk1,..STS,..Wk2,..-2LB,..Wk3,..-3.5lb,..Wk4,..-2.5,..Wk5,..-1/2lb,Wk6,..STS,..Wk7,..-1lb.
    Week 10,total weightloss is now 13.5lbs Week 11 STSweek 14(I think)..-2, total loss now 1 stone exactly
    GOT TO TARGET..1/2lb under now weigh 10st 6.5(lost 1st 3.5lbs)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion about keeping the curtains shut - I hadn't thought about that!

Luckily I can stay in tomorrow - nipped out and stocked up on milk and the like today.
    February Grocery Challenge - £100.87/£180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - £0.60/£1.50
  • Aarons_mummy
    Options
    I have a red warning for tomorrow as well :o I can stay in tomorrow but no chance for Friday so hoping it's died down by then. I have plenty shopping in, batteries for the torch, candles and lighter/matches to light it with, plenty of books to read and toys to play with. I'm a bit scared since it'll be our first red warning alert in my own house eek!
    Credit Card: £796 Left/£900 October 2011 :eek:
    Store Card: £100 October 2011 :o
    Declutter 100 Things In January 100/100:j:beer:
    No Buying Toiletries 2012
  • Cat501
    Cat501 Posts: 1,195 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Battening down the hatches here too! I see the Scottish Government has advised all councils in the west of the central belt, where I am, to close their schools all day, and those in the east, at lunchtime. So my council, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to shut at 1pm!

I swear they'd find a way of opening in the event of a nuclear attack!:)
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Options
    I don't think my home is mobile but if it blows hard enough I'll find out.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • PolkaDotsAndLace
    Options
    Cat501 wrote: »
    Battening down the hatches here too! I see the Scottish Government has advised all councils in the west of the central belt, where I am, to close their schools all day, and those in the east, at lunchtime. So my council, in their infinite wisdom, have decided to shut at 1pm!

I swear they'd find a way of opening in the event of a nuclear attack!:)

No Fife schools closed as yet, but I do wonder if that'll change - have read that the Forth and Tay Bridges are likely to close, which would make commuting a nightmare for a lot. Would mean OH got a day off work!

Really hoping we don't get a power cut.
    February Grocery Challenge - £100.87/£180
    February Don't Throw Food Away Challenge - £0.60/£1.50
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills