Aldi - what to buy?

Options
Am a die hard Sainsbury's shopper but with Xmas coming up there are all the extra bits and pieces to buy so life getting expensive.
I saw the Aldi wine list and will try one or two of those and I see the twice weekly offers but wondered what people regularly buy at Aldi that otherwise might be a bit of a treat eg smoked salmon etc

Would just like some ideas to get me started as will probably be busy tomorrow anyway!

Comments

• motherkitty
    Options
    I don't usually shop at Aldi but have been there a couple of times recently and am thinking of doing a whole shop there soon.
    Bought some lovely German ham which was 99p for 5 slices I think, and a fresh chicken for 2.75. Very nice and much cheaper than Tesco's/Morrisons.
    Have also bought their red label teabags which are 1.99 for 160 and are nice too.
    My SIL does pretty much all her shopping there and recommends frozen chicken breasts, ice cream and a nice fruity red wine!
  • Tilly_MFW_in_6_YRS
    Options
    Having lived in Germany I love shopping in al@I. Their Chablis is good when it is in. I can recommend the smoked salmon and goose. Their turkey crowns are great and their fruit conserves are superb. Good selection of baking ingredients and fruit/veg.

All in all, you could easily do your main shop in al@I and then the treats from sainsbobs
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • TravellingAbuela
    Options
    Just now they have an excellent selection of Christmas goodies. As well as Christmas cakes, they also have stollen, mini panettone, mince pies, etc. Plus a lovely selection of luxury biscuits, sweets and chocolates and quite a few children's choccy delights! Mmmm!

I split my weekly shop between Aldi and either Asda or Sainsbury's but find my Aldi list is getting longer and my Asda/Sainsbury list getting shorter! I couldn't do my entire shop in Aldi but maybe one day as they seem to keep increasing their product range. Just have a wander round on your first visit to get an idea of what they sell and, more importantly, their prices!
    "If you dream alone it will remain just a dream. But if we all dream together it will become reality"
  • Lugh_Chronain
    Lugh_Chronain Posts: 6,867 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 13 November 2011 at 11:09AM
    Options
    Have a look at Supermarket Own Brand Guide. Reviews are written by food critic Martin Isark and are given a score from 1 to 10. Appears to be quite reliable too. Tick whichever store you want to compare then type what you want to search for in the search box.

I'd be interested to know what their Pinot Grigio is like.

Incidentally, if you're after wine offers then try seaching the following:

http://www.quaffersoffers.co.uk/search_offers

http://wine.mysupermarket.co.uk/

You might also find the Great What/What Not to Buy at Lidl, Aldi and Netto Hunt helpful as well.
  • sheeps68
    Options
    My treat if I get to an Aldi is their dried Mango. You can get it elsewhere but its not as good in my opinion as Aldi's. Fruit and veg is good prices too. If there was one closer to me I think I'd do a lot of shopping in there.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,594 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I can't remember exactly what Aldi's call it: something like brioche with vanilla but it's exacty like a 'tear and share' tray bake I used to get in Waitrose. They also do small brioche rolls as good as any pain au lait I've bought in France,

Like someone else said, free range chickens and conserves. They have gammon joints (1.3kg?) which are really good value.

I only go occasionally (to buy their excellent Q10 Day Cream) but when I do I stock up with these favourites and always take advantage of the good price veg at 69p.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    The fruit and veg, the bars of milk chocolate, the cheese(but check if any is on offer in the multiples as aldi might not be cheaper)
  • spesh
    Options
    3 bird Roast! only 6.99

(they do a 4 bird christmas one now for 9.99)

It might seem expensive but they are 10.00 at tesco.
    Unlike tesco's it doesn't shrink to half the size and can feed you for days in sandwiches.

Great when family come around as your not trying to make portions work.
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Options
    Yes i forgot about the turkey crowns and the gammon joints.
  • moneylover
    moneylover Posts: 1,660 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is it a fresh turkey crown or one of those things in a silver tray like some of the pretend roasts are?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure