Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article
Views: 135,157
# 1
MSE Wendy
Old 03-10-2011, 3:32 PM
Campaigns Manager
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default NEW THREAD: Cheapest iPhones article

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

This is a new thread for this article - read the old iPhones article thread here.

To discuss or ask a question about this article: click reply
*** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***

Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 13-10-2011 at 5:52 PM. Reason: New thread
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Aidy
Old 05-10-2011, 9:43 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

iPhone 3GS prices have dropped this week

Orange Free then 15 pm 50 mins 50 texts 100 mb data

O2 refurb Free then 13.50 pm 50 mins 250 texts 100 mb

Both 24 months
# 3
Former MSE Becca
Old 05-10-2011, 10:26 AM
Former Tech Writer / Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default iPhone 4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by garfybeds View Post
The new iPhone will be announced on 4th October. Close-out of holidays in shops 14/15 October point to that being the release date. The question is - what phone/s will they release

The new iPhone has been announced - the iPhone 4S will be available in the UK from 14 October and comes in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models, starting at 499 on a no contract basis.

Have a read of the updated Cheap iPhones article for details on the new model. Tariff prices have yet to be announced, but we will update the guide as soon as we know more.

MSE Becca

Last edited by Former MSE Becca; 05-10-2011 at 2:46 PM.
# 4
Gigglepig
Old 05-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Nice to see the prices are dropping :-)

Now that new new iphone 4s is out, where is the cheapest place to buy the old Iphone 4 without a contract?

And what is the cheapest place to get the old 4 refurbished?
# 5
imnothere
Old 07-10-2011, 12:09 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSE Becca View Post
The new iPhone has been announced - the iPhone 4S will be available in the UK from 14 October and comes in 16GB, 32GB and 64GB models, starting at 499 on a no contract basis.

Have a read of the updated Cheap iPhones article for details on the new model. Tariff prices have yet to be announced, but we will update the guide as soon as we know more.

MSE Becca
Some of the tarriffs have been announced
# 6
Flibbertygibbet
Old 07-10-2011, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Some info here

http://hexus.net/mobile/news/apple/3...ne-4s-tariffs/
# 7
Former MSE Becca
Old 07-10-2011, 12:21 PM
Former Tech Writer / Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnothere View Post
Some of the tarriffs have been announced

Thanks, we are working on updating the tool right now

Will post on here when it is updated!

MSE Becca
# 8
jetfighter
Old 07-10-2011, 1:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'll be paying the equivalent of 34.95 per month over 24 months by buying direct from Apple (unlocked) and getting a GiffGaff SIM. Can't wait - ordered the 32GB this morning.
Mortgage-free as of 06/02/2010! Now we're concentrating on saving money for our future plans by upping our income, through bank interest, rewards, incentives, cashback and being current account tarts!
# 9
grumbler
Old 07-10-2011, 2:03 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfighter View Post
I'll be paying the equivalent of 34.95 per month over 24 months by buying direct from Apple (unlocked) and getting a GiffGaff SIM. Can't wait - ordered the 32GB this morning.
Is my understanding correct that you were happy to take a loan at more than 40% APR for buying a toy? If so, using your savings, or at least your credit card, would be a much wiser financial decision.
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed

Last edited by grumbler; 07-10-2011 at 2:17 PM.
# 10
jetfighter
Old 07-10-2011, 2:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbler View Post
Is my understanding correct that you were happy to take a loan at about 40% APR for buying a toy? If so, using your savings would be a much wiser financial decision.
Nooooo, not at all. Not sure where you've got the 40% APR thing from either!

I was trying to say that I would be spending the equivalent of 34.95 per month by buying the phone upfront for 599 (with money I have!) and then 10 per month on GiffGaff. To illustrate that if you can afford it, buying upfront works out cheaper in the long term. I can't imagine there are any contracts offering a free iPhone 4S 32GB for 34.95 per month. (I may be proven wrong.)

To clarify, I paid 599 for the phone upfront, from money I have. No loans. I will be paying 10 per month to GiffGaff. Over the course of 24 months, which is the standard contract length, I will have spent 839 in total. Divided by 24, this is 34.95.

That was what I meant!
Mortgage-free as of 06/02/2010! Now we're concentrating on saving money for our future plans by upping our income, through bank interest, rewards, incentives, cashback and being current account tarts!

Last edited by jetfighter; 07-10-2011 at 2:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetfighter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
grumbler
Old 07-10-2011, 2:20 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I see. So the monthly 34.95 figure included 10 for giffgaff?
My apologies for misunderstanding.
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
# 12
jetfighter
Old 07-10-2011, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbler View Post
I see. So the monthly 34.95 figure included 10 for giffgaff?
My apologies for misunderstanding.
Yes that's right. Sorry for being unclear!
# 13
R34GTT
Old 07-10-2011, 2:36 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was considering buying from Apple and sticking with my 8 per month Talkmobile micro sim. However after analysing some different tariffs from Vodafone in a spreadsheet, a 12 month contract for the 64GB version works out at 9.42 per month if you subtract the RRP of the phone from the total annual cost. This includes subtracting Vodafone cashback of 59 and Quidco cashback of 40. Upfront cost is 299.

((51*12)+299-59-49-699)/12=9.42

For the effective 9.42 tariff element of the contract I get 1200 mins, unlimited texts, 750MB data and the 25MB a day when abroad in Europe. Plus I don't have to stump up 699 in one go. I'm not 100% doing it yet, but it is very tempting.

Last edited by R34GTT; 07-10-2011 at 2:42 PM.
# 14
crockpot
Old 09-10-2011, 9:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was thinking of buying phone from Pple 499 and getting a micro sim from 3 for 15 a month on a 30 day contract, so will work out at 680 over 12 months.

Or anyone any idea when tesco will have there prices out?
# 15
jetfighter
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockpot View Post
I was thinking of buying phone from Pple 499 and getting a micro sim from 3 for 15 a month on a 30 day contract, so will work out at 680 over 12 months.

I seem to remember Tesco being quite slow last time... certainly slower than the major networks. Is that right? My memory is a bit hazy, hmm. They may be quicker this time though, knowing the demand will be high.

Have you looked at GiffGaff? They offer 30-day packages starting at 10 per month with unlimited data, with no contract. They use the O2 network so coverage isn't an issue. Still trying to find the catch!
# 16
Bella_b
Old 09-10-2011, 12:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm on Giffgaff and couldn't be happier with them! They offer payg services.. top up only or one off monthy "goodybay" options.

I'm not a big phone user and they track how many mins/calls you make and send you an email regarding which of their packages is best for you. Mine is just simple standard pricing at 10p min call and 6p text. Some goodybags have unlimited calls or unlimited txts. The goodbags last for 1 month and they are a good idea, they don't roll over unless you buy another one. If the goodybag ends and you dont buy another then you just go back to standard pricing. They have data goodybags coming out soon for people who have tablets.. and blackberry services like push email coming soon too! I'm really happy with them. If you recommend them then you can they give you money for each person you recommend. I'm not into that but I've heard people who have earnt hundreds of pounds!

At the moment with quidco you can get 5 cashback when you order a free sim from Giffgaff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bella_b For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
diadeb
Old 10-10-2011, 4:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfighter View Post
I was trying to say that I would be spending the equivalent of 34.95 per month by buying the phone upfront for 599 (with money I have!) and then 10 per month on GiffGaff. To illustrate that if you can afford it, buying upfront works out cheaper in the long term. I can't imagine there are any contracts offering a free iPhone 4S 32GB for 34.95 per month. (I may be proven wrong.)

To clarify, I paid 599 for the phone upfront, from money I have. No loans. I will be paying 10 per month to GiffGaff. Over the course of 24 months, which is the standard contract length, I will have spent 839 in total. Divided by 24, this is 34.95.
That's good to know someone else has done the maths. I felt that was probably the case, so I've been hanging on awaiting to see what happens with models versus prices. I can feel a purchase coming this side of Christmas at least!
MFiT-T3 Number 61 Reduce mortgage by 50000
Mar 13 5660/11.32% June 13 12513/25.03% Sept 13 16951/33.90% Sept 14 38391/78.78% paid off

MFiT-T2 Number 34 Reduce mortgage by 66471
Dec 12 100% paid off!
# 18
EnzoMan
Old 10-10-2011, 7:09 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockpot View Post

How do you find the 3 network? I keep hearing bad thing's but their prices seem pretty fair for the amount of mins and data they are offering.

I've pre ordered my iPhone 4S from Apple and I'm waiting to get a micro sim which has the best data and min allowance, so far that seems to be giffgaff...
# 19
Woody's Girl
Old 10-10-2011, 8:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoMan View Post
How do you find the 3 network? I keep hearing bad thing's but their prices seem pretty fair for the amount of mins and data they are offering.

I've pre ordered my iPhone 4S from Apple and I'm waiting to get a micro sim which has the best data and min allowance, so far that seems to be giffgaff...
Sorry to butt in but had to reply. I'm with 3, I have a HTC Wildfire, it was the cheapest package at the time but I wouldn't use them again, their network coverage is awful and phone keeps cutting off mid call. I thought perhaps it was our area but my husband's friend has an iphone on the network too and he says a lot of their calls cut off midway through a conversation.
# 20
decsdad
Old 11-10-2011, 12:06 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ok, I have an iPhone in three, no problems, never cut off, and I have been with them 10 years( Mysore and son too, no issues). Which is a good thing as you really dintwant to have to phone their customer services, 0/10.
Get a free three payg sim and see if you get a good signal at home, work etc then you'll know what to expect.