Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 29th Aug 11, 1:22 PM
    • 10,251Posts
    • 57,895Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    Handmade Christmas decorations
    • 29th Aug 11, 1:22 PM
    Handmade Christmas decorations 29th Aug 11 at 1:22 PM
    I'd like to start a thread for ideas and pics of handmade Christmas decorations.

I know it's still August, but we all know time has a nasty habit of flying by, and before we know it, it's time to put the decorations up.

I bought large cinnamon sticks from the florist wholesalers a few weeks ago, hoping I could incorporate them into a decoration made out of old welsh blankets, but i am just going blank.

So if anyone knows of any link or tutorials, pics etc which uses cinemmon sticks especially with fabric etc.. i would be greatful.

'gingle bells....gingle bells...gingle all the way'

Official MSE Insert:

Scroll down for a host of crafty DIY Christmas decoration tips, from pom poms and paper chains to felt gingerbread men and wreaths made from rags. Here's a pic of midnightraven3's cute felt gingerbread man (and lady) for inspiration.

This Forum Tip was included in
    MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 04-12-2015 at 5:01 PM.
    daydream fund total ..........not enough....lol...
    PAD ....SO FAR £349.07 (24-3-14)
Page 1
  • mary-op
    • 29th Aug 11, 5:50 PM
    • 29th Aug 11, 5:50 PM
    Brilliant idea !
    I'm doing some fabric hearts,trees, boots, gingerbread men people -stuff like that and a soft tree to create a ''christmas in a box'' so looking for any ideas there are about.
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
    • tootoo
    • By tootoo 30th Aug 11, 7:00 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,002 Thanks
    tootoo
    • 30th Aug 11, 7:00 AM
    • 30th Aug 11, 7:00 AM
    I'm very interested in this thread!
    The only ideas I've had so far are for padded gingerbread men...Although I'll need to buy some felt and I can't see any gingerbread type colour online...!
    I always say we don't have enough christmas decorations but by then it's usually too late!
    Looking forward to see and sharing so great ideas and even though I'm not hugely crafty I'd love to try!
    Tootoo
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 30th Aug 11, 7:18 AM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 6,590 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    • 30th Aug 11, 7:18 AM
    • 30th Aug 11, 7:18 AM
    there must be another thread about this
    because i know i posted on it recently
    but cant remeber where or why

sorry Mary, i know you have seen these at least once before

all super easy, no tutorials needed as they are self explanitory

children can make great things from felt

i'll stop now, you get the gist
    • BloomingTasty
    • By BloomingTasty 30th Aug 11, 7:34 AM
    • 200 Posts
    • 2,523 Thanks
    BloomingTasty
    • 30th Aug 11, 7:34 AM
    • 30th Aug 11, 7:34 AM
    I often lurk around the Christmas threads but I want to do more myself this year.

MIDNIGHTRAVEN3 I ADORE your gingerbread people. Want to have a go myself now.

COOLTRIKERCHIC never too early. I've spent most of this weekend trying to think of things to make so I'll be watching this thread with interest.

Only 117 days till Christmas :-))
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 30th Aug 11, 8:40 AM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 6,590 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    • 30th Aug 11, 8:40 AM
    • 30th Aug 11, 8:40 AM
    the gingerbread people are SO easy and you can use any bits you have lying around
    those ones are around 3" each
    their clothes are made from 1" ribbon
    • p-pincher
    • By p-pincher 30th Aug 11, 10:32 AM
    • 714 Posts
    • 3,584 Thanks
    p-pincher
    • 30th Aug 11, 10:32 AM
    • 30th Aug 11, 10:32 AM
    i'm going attempt to make these soon http://www.scoutiegirl.com/2009/12/tutorial-crafting-a-holiday-card-keepsake-ornament-by-nicole-of-lillyella.html

They look like they might be a bit fiddly but should have a bit of fun with the kids making them x
  • LJM
    • 30th Aug 11, 1:41 PM
    • 30th Aug 11, 1:41 PM
    they look like fun to make p-pincher
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
  • mary-op
    • 30th Aug 11, 4:24 PM
    • 30th Aug 11, 4:24 PM
    midnight - I think they might have been on the ''handmade for christmas'' thread ......not sure.
    Thanks for putting them on again though........now just need to actually make them...........lol
    I would be unstoppable if only I could get started !

(previously known as mary43)
    • sethsgran
    • By sethsgran 30th Aug 11, 8:46 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 4,739 Thanks
    sethsgran
    Excellent idea for a thread, I always make something new for my Christmas decoration collection. Not always tree decorations but I love handmade Christmas makes.
    When you go out into the world, watch for traffic, hold hands and stick together
    • sethsgran
    • By sethsgran 30th Aug 11, 8:48 PM
    • 2,825 Posts
    • 4,739 Thanks
    sethsgran
    http://www.craftsforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?57-Christmas-Crafts. Some ideas here
    When you go out into the world, watch for traffic, hold hands and stick together
    • mi55pink
    • By mi55pink 30th Aug 11, 10:20 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    mi55pink
    This decoration using Cinnamon Sticks looks lovely

http://annettesallsorts.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-news.html

These are a couple of decorations I made last year. I'm looking forward to making some for this year!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
  • twinkledust
    Excellent thread!

Can't wait to try some of the great ideas!!

ppincher - loving the xmas bobble idea out of cards thanks for link!!
    • midnightraven3
    • By midnightraven3 31st Aug 11, 9:21 AM
    • 2,723 Posts
    • 6,590 Thanks
    midnightraven3
    LOVE the little stockings!
    i have a couple of bags of tiny silver clothes pegs
    now i know what i shall be doing with them!

i made a felt robin last year too, but i made it completely round (like my christmas pudding) son laughed at it so i didnt use it
  • jcr16
    mi55pink, i love your garland. so inspiring.

this yr i am proberly only going to make a few felt dec's and a garland. my dd wants to decorate the polystrenice balls and eggs shapes with sequins. i did a few about 10 yrs ago and they were relly easy and effective.

i want to try and make a keepsake dec as it our babies 1st xmas. but i'm not sure what to make. all our others we purchased fab little teddy decs from woolies . but thats not a option this time. so i thought about trying to make something.

the cinnamon(sp?) sticks sounds fantastic.

never too early in my mind for xmas thinking.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
  • LJM
    i managed to get a few bits made last week some gifts and some for my home i love christmas
    Is loving life right now,yes I am a soppy fool who believes in the simple things in life
  • amy_lou
    It's never too early! (Especially when you work in a card shop, and are getting deliveries of CALENDARS already) I have started making stuffed hearts in folksy fabrics, will move onto stars and Christmas trees afterwards, also got a lot of felt in a pack off Baker Ross so will be doing gingerbread men and trees with that. My blanket stitch is coming on a treat and I am no longer bored in the evenings! I would like to make some things into garlands on kind of jute twine, but it is all a bit trial and error at the minute. Ideally I would like to sell some (when I get better and neater), where is the best place to do it online/are there any threads about this already?

• soba
    • By soba 9th Sep 11, 10:01 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 6,518 Thanks
    soba
    i'm going attempt to make these soon http://www.scoutiegirl.com/2009/12/tutorial-crafting-a-holiday-card-keepsake-ornament-by-nicole-of-lillyella.html

They look like they might be a bit fiddly but should have a bit of fun with the kids making them x
    Originally posted by p-pincher
    I made some of these last year and posted photos at the time but can't remember on which thread.

They are a bit fiddly to make, especially if you haven't got a punch for the circle shapes. I bought a couple of Fiskars puches off ebay in different sizes so that made things alot easier.

Also made elf shoes like these http://allsorts.typepad.com/allsorts/2007/11/ears-to-your-el.html
    Last edited by soba; 09-09-2011 at 10:13 PM.

• shiprob195
    • By shiprob195 9th Sep 11, 10:31 PM
    • 665 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    shiprob195
    I have started my Christmas preparations today by making beaded snowflakes.
    • danielag
    • By danielag 10th Sep 11, 5:47 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    danielag
    These are fab!!! Is there a tutorial for the gingerbread men etc?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

878Posts Today

5,398Users online

Martin's Twitter