IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Apoca parking fine Luton Airport info needed please

Options
We have received a fine for stopping for 2 seconds in a bus lane, I have read the threads on the fact that they appear to send threatening letters etc but has anyone got information about how long to expect these letters if you do not pay and also has anyone got any information on their own personal experience when they have not paid. I did not see any signs, since i have been and looked and yes they are their but at bus level! I know I will worry so would like some information to help me know what to expect.

Comments

• hederahelix_2
    Options
    Hi Debsxx, I'm in exact situation, just received parking enforcement notice from Apcoa re stopping at luton airport, so will be watching this thread with interest...
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ignore all notices and threatograms from APCOA they are well known and have never taken anyone to court.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Pearly11
    Pearly11 Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Apparently it varies from company to company and from what I see (just googled for Apoca car parking) this seems to be indeed a PPC. I don't think what you've been sent can be called a 'parking enforcement notice' it's technically an invoice and therefore not enforceable. There is a a thread under the stickies on the top of the forum that may give some idea what to expect. Eventually they will run out of steam...how long this may take? No idea.
  • hederahelix_2
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, that puts my mind at ease. I was kind of expecting this letter, as we were told by a bus driver at the airport who spotted us there that a fine would follow. But I will definitely ignore them...
  • Pearly11
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, that puts my mind at ease. I was kind of expecting this letter, as we were told by a bus driver at the airport who spotted us there that a fine would follow. But I will definitely ignore them...

Nice of the bus driver, but it can't be called a 'fine'. Some of these companies use 'penalty'. It's all incorrect. The only ones who issue fines or penalties are local authorities or police. If one of these are receive then action should be taken immediately.

What these companies issue are invoices and unlike penalties or fines invoices are not enforceable.

Whatever they write to you do under circumstances engage into any form of communication with them. If you get worried, then ask for more advice in here. You are in no way obliged to contact them or supply with any information they request. Have a look at the stickied thread with a link to a youtube clip. There is a solicitor showing you what to do with their mail.
  • muckybutt
    muckybutt Posts: 3,761 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Be prepared for the onslaught of threatograms though, first couple might give you the heebie geebies but they are only trying to get you to cough up, most of us regulars on here have been there and ran the gauntlet of bog paper and pish from them - and come out the other side still smelling of roses, nice thing is knowing they wasted £2.50 getting your details of DVLA.
    You may click thanks if you found my advice useful
  • Pearly11
    Options
    muckybutt wrote: »
    Be prepared for the onslaught of threatograms though, first couple might give you the heebie geebies but they are only trying to get you to cough up, most of us regulars on here have been there and ran the gauntlet of bog paper and pish from them - and come out the other side still smelling of roses, nice thing is knowing they wasted £2.50 getting your details of DVLA.[/QUOTE]

Not to talk about the work force involved, the paper, the postage, the envelopes, the ink and the depriciation of the machinery used to produce the pamphlets :D
  • hederahelix_2
    Options
    Pearly11 wrote: »
    muckybutt wrote: »
    Be prepared for the onslaught of threatograms though, first couple might give you the heebie geebies but they are only trying to get you to cough up, most of us regulars on here have been there and ran the gauntlet of bog paper and pish from them - and come out the other side still smelling of roses, nice thing is knowing they wasted £2.50 getting your details of DVLA.[/QUOTE]

Not to talk about the work force involved, the paper, the postage, the envelopes, the ink and the depriciation of the machinery used to produce the pamphlets :D

Yes, but I can imagine there are a lot of people out there who receive these letters, and don't check out the relevant forums and will pay them anyway. I think they get nice earner for little investment!
  • Sirdan
    Sirdan Posts: 1,323 Forumite
    edited 3 February 2011 at 8:29PM
    Options
    Debsxx wrote: »
    We have received a fine for stopping for 2 seconds in a bus lane, I have read the threads on the fact that they appear to send threatening letters etc but has anyone got information about how long to expect these letters if you do not pay and also has anyone got any information on their own personal experience when they have not paid. I did not see any signs, since i have been and looked and yes they are their but at bus level! I know I will worry so would like some information to help me know what to expect.

I don't want to say too much in case someone from APCOA strays on here but I can assure you they can't possibly enforce this because they have failed to meet some basic requirements for the formation of a proper contract with the driver of the vehicle.

From my personal experience of the Luton Airport pretend bus lane :-

"Alleged contravention 02 -entry into bus lane" alleged to have occured in late October.

Parking Enforcement notice from APCOA early November.

Roxburghe Debt Collectors letter mid December

(This is the one that talks utter drivel about the keeper being liable -THEY ARE NOT and alleges that the driver is an agent of the keeper under contract law ..UTTER UTTER bilge.)

Graham White Solicitors -Notice of Intended Legal Action ..exactly 14 days after the Roxburke .bull.

(The costs associated with issuing a claim includes £100 for a warrant ..but that's drivel too ..you can't ask for a warrant on the original claim ..a warrant is only issued IF they take you to court AND if they win AND if you then don't pay)

Graham White Solicitors Final Warning -14 days after their first drivel..

(Notice how all those scary numbers adding up to £207.25 are now not present ..almost like they know their previous letter was just bluff is'nt it ?)

So the Final Warning letter above says "we shall refer the matter in seven days" .. so here I am more than 3 weeks later ..and ..... NOTHING ..not even another begging letter ...I can only assume they have referred the matter to the shredder and moved onto the next intended victim. :-)
  • esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 February 2011 at 8:36PM
    Options
    Again they prey on the gullible, most would think a bus lane violation was an offence. Because it is in the real world, where they are governed by traffic orders and statute.

What would they put in particulars of claim for the county court? This naughty man drove on my bus lane and in doing so agreed to pay me £50! Then he didn't so it is now £100 plus costs!

Just proves the point that all these git's are doing is mimicking official traffic regulations conning the unknowing!

Wouldn't it be nice to get one of these cases in front of a proper Judge in the high court. Sort the barstewards out once and for all.

For the OP as stated by others expect several letters threatening plagues and damnation will be brought down upon you. However in the real world its a few sheets of A4 with crap on!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure