Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • sazziecee
    • 22nd Nov 10, 9:58 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 9:58 AM
    Sorry for daft question, but how many people do you think the crown would serve? my first year cooking my own xmas dinner, but there are only 4 of us (2 adults and 2 kids)
    • Lynsey
    • By Lynsey 22nd Nov 10, 10:02 AM
    • 9,255 Posts
    • 31,905 Thanks
    Lynsey
    • 22nd Nov 10, 10:02 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 10:02 AM
    The crown should easily serve 8 (more if kids only have a small portion). It's a pity it's frozen, or I would have bought one and halved it (frozen half).

Lynsey
    **** Sealed Pot Challenge - Member #96 ****
    No. 9 target 600 - (x21)
    No. 6 Total 740.00 - No. 7 1000.00 - No. 8 875.00 - No. 9 240.00 (so far)
  • lucerysmum
    • 22nd Nov 10, 10:05 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 10:05 AM
    we had this size last year for New Year and it did 4 adults & two kids - and we had it cold with crackers, bread etc at tea time - so should be plenty big enough.

Nice with bacon across the top when you cook it !
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 22nd Nov 10, 10:15 AM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 15,879 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    • 22nd Nov 10, 10:15 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 10:15 AM
    A normal small to middle sized chicken is around 1 to 1.5 kgs and is usually plenty for our family (2 adults then 4 kids-but aged 12 (nearly 13 and eats like an adult), 7, 3 and a baby). Obviously the baby doesn't each much, but the others do ok. I would say that sized turkey, would be plenty for 2 adults and 2 kids-loads of leftovers to keep you going into new year lol.

The thing to remember with frozen turkeys is to read the defrosting instructions carefully well before xmas day. Some, especially large ones can take a long time to defrost, last year ours was a "48 hrs in the fridge to defrost" one so you need to work out when to move it from freezer to fridge to be ready to cook on xmas morning.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Save 12k in 2016 challenge no 60 182.20/6000
    • flea72
    • By flea72 22nd Nov 10, 11:02 AM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 5,138 Thanks
    flea72
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:02 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:02 AM
    The crown should easily serve 8 (more if kids only have a small portion). It's a pity it's frozen, or I would have bought one and halved it (frozen half).

Lynsey
    Originally posted by Lynsey
    cook it whole, then freeze what you dont need, once cooked

F
    • lulugirl
    • By lulugirl 22nd Nov 10, 11:07 AM
    • 263 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    lulugirl
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:07 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:07 AM
    But wouldnt you get ill refreezing it again?
    • jumpingjackd
    • By jumpingjackd 22nd Nov 10, 11:48 AM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 832 Thanks
    jumpingjackd
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:48 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:48 AM
    Originally posted by lulugirl

Not if you cook it first.
  • cornishlady
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:52 AM
    • 22nd Nov 10, 11:52 AM
    Originally posted by lulugirl
    not when you cooked it ,what you should never do is defrost frozen meat &refreeze before cooking it, but once cooked its fine to refreeze again .
    • flea72
    • By flea72 22nd Nov 10, 2:00 PM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 5,138 Thanks
    flea72
    you can defrost and eat any meat, from each state of freshness, once

so you can freeze fresh meat, defrost, cook and eat

then you can freeze cooked meat, defrost, cook and eat

you just have to check whether the 'fresh' meat has previously been frozen. alot of chicken and fish has previously been frozen and defrosted instore for sale. the packing should say, or ask the butcher/fishmonger

F
  • sirbrainy
    Don't believe all the rubbish advice you see printed.

The basic point is keeping food at a low enough temperature so that the multiplication of harmful bacteria is considerably slowed.

You could perfectly well thaw a turkey crown, chop it in half and refreeze the half you didn't need - virtually zero risk to health as the bacteria will not have had any chance to multiply.

Also, provided you reheat any food to 100C for 5 mins or more you will kill off nearly all bacteria.

Why do you think it is perfectly OK to eat semi-rotted meat such as certain game birds? Answer - because you heat it before eating.
  • sirbrainy
    not when you cooked it ,what you should never do is defrost frozen meat &refreeze before cooking it, but once cooked its fine to refreeze again .
    Originally posted by cornishlady
    That's poor generic advice.

If you (say) thawed chicken to the point where you can cut it in half and then re-froze half of it, the increased risk to health is zero.

What you need to avoid is completely thawing a meat and leaving it in the fridge for a couple of days before refreezing it.

Even then, if you cooked it thoroughly you would kill off the harmful bacteria.
  • sirbrainy
    Food scares in the past such as Salmonella can nearly always be explained as uneducated people not understanding how to cook properly and kill off the harmful bacteria.
  • savvyme
    Turkey crown 8 in Morrisons
    Went into Morrisons today and they haven't got them. Wondered whether it's only online or if this promotion hasn't started yet??
  • kirstiejayne
    Went into Morrisons today and they haven't got them. Wondered whether it's only online or if this promotion hasn't started yet??
    Originally posted by savvyme
    Me too!! Went to Morrisons especially to get one of these and they were nowhere to be seen!
    Thank you to everyone that contributes on these pages!

• wirehair
    • By wirehair 23rd Nov 10, 1:53 PM
    • 4,260 Posts
    • 55,237 Thanks
    wirehair
    Originally posted by savvyme
    I went to get one also made a special journey , they were all priced up at about 14 .
    Never pay more than you have too
  • ellilew
    I also made a special journey and there were none! The freezers had loads of turkeys in and they had a tag on the shelf for the 8 crowns but it looked to me like they had never put any out as they would have been jumbled up with whole turkeys. I asked a member of staff and they said there were none in stock.
  • savvyme
    I also made a special journey and there were none! The freezers had loads of turkeys in and they had a tag on the shelf for the 8 crowns but it looked to me like they had never put any out as they would have been jumbled up with whole turkeys. I asked a member of staff and they said there were none in stock.
    Originally posted by ellilew
    There wasn't even a tag on the shelf for the 8 Turkeys, only Morrisons own for 14.
    • Arthurian
    • By Arthurian 23rd Nov 10, 2:51 PM
    • 585 Posts
    • 526 Thanks
    Arthurian
    The turkeys have made a run for it! Last seen furiously paddling a raft to warmer climes, with a bottle of Morrisons half-price Bollinger under each wing....
  • little_evo
    The turkeys in Wolverhampton Morrisons must have made a run for it too because there was none to be found and I made my husband search through all of the turkeys which were lumped in together looking for the elusive 8 turkey which had to weigh between 3 to 4kg and the smallest I could find was 4.005 and if I had bought this is went up to 12. Plenty of 8 crown turkeys though.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

697Posts Today

4,690Users online

Martin's Twitter