PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Its tough, it will get better and guess what its freezing brrrrr!

Options
kezlou
kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
edited 22 October 2010 at 12:18PM in Old style MoneySaving
I know this is naughty as the previous thread has been closed due to issues etc.

But please could we still have a thread open, i'm not sure about other people, but for me it really helped me out. When feeling really down due to personal / financial problems being able to speak to other people who were in the same situation as myself really helped me to carry on and get through everything.

The amount of assistance i personally received was amazing from cheap food bargain, clothes, growing veg and just general support etc

So if it would be possible could the thread be either reopened or just another one started. I don't really like the arms as it can be quite nasty. I'd rather stay on the old style, as i feel i've gotten to know various posters, would hate to lose that.

If not well please could one of the moderators please delete the thread.

Thanks

kezlou x
sorry all the phone went and peeps turned up so i'll add the info now.

This is a follow-on thread to Kittie's "It's tough NOW - so how are we coping?" thread.

Kittie started up that "installment" of her thread in November 2008 - because the original one had had 235,000 views and she felt the need for a change of emphasis.

That thread has now been running for some time - and has had over half a million views and BigMummaF suggested (and has been seconded) that perhaps it's time to start up the next "installment" of this popular thread.

As Kittie is the "founder" of this thread - I have sent her a P.M. yesterday asking for her views on starting up a new installment. I know she has been on MSE since then - so will have seen the PM - but does not tend to frequent the Old Style Board now. The need for this thread is greater than ever now - as it looks like the Hard Times are "bedding in" for a while yet...

So - kittie - if I may take the liberty of starting this new installment of your popular thread up on your behalf - as I know you feel we are much in accord in our way of thinking about the situation?

So - kittie - if I may take silence as assent to my suggestion that I start up the Mark 3 Version of the "It is tough Now" thread on your behalf??

- then here it is folks.

So - perhaps folks would like to now start putting up their "Its tough now" posts on this new thread.

EDIT: I've now put a post up on the previous thread to re-direct people over here.

FURTHER EDIT (as per suggestion) - link to old thread here:
cheers cat!!!:D:D:D
Kitties earlier one from 2006
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...gs+get+tougher
Kitties one from 2008
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=1295539

Ceridwen from earlier in the year
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2597781

Another edit i know but i had to do this:-

Just to say EVERYONE is welcome to the join / visit the thread including OLD and new viewers!!!!!!!!

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• the_cat
    the_cat Posts: 2,176 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 October 2010 at 12:06PM
    Options
    Do you know what, I was thinking of starting a thread up too! So thank you

I only rarely post but have lurked on all the threads and find the conversations interesting, the info from all the posters helpful and the thread (bar the recent spat) friendly

Perhaps this could be a new start, as it might be better not to let the silly arguement from the previous one spoil things for everyone

EDIT: LINKY TO ORIGINAL THREAD STARTED BY KITTY WITH LOTS OF USEFUL IDEAS FOR CUTBACKS ETC
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=147067&highlight=if+things+get+tougher
  • lovelife_3
    Options
    Thanks Kezlou for starting this, I was shocked when i saw the previous thread was locked. I don,t post often but like you have found tremendous support and encouragement from the people who contribute to this forum. There really is a feeling of us all being in it together. Of course people will have different opinions, thank goodness or life would be very boring, but we share a common humanity and a desire to be happy and do the best for our families in challenging times. I have witnessed a lot of compassion on here and it would be sad if that was lost.
  • lovelife_3
    Options
    And yes it is b****y freezing :)
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    Options
    I was thinking of doing the same - great minds think alike!

The thread has really helped me get more OS focussed and also helped me through what has been a difficult 2 months not to mention all the extra hints and tips that came out of that thread that I hadn't thought of. Checking that thread was part of my morning routine after the children went to school :(

Plus, last night I slept better knowing that my NI Stamp is paid until my kids are 12 - which I had no idea about until someone posted about it. That was a huge weight off my mind I can tell you.
  • kezlou
    kezlou Posts: 3,283 Forumite
    Options
    :rotfl:lovelife it is and guess what its starting raining cracking!!

Well that's the thing, the few past few months have been hard and being able to come here and say rant about the price of something or just going help what do?!

Any ways to the future and hopefully spat free thread.

Me too about the NI contributions, i was quite scared reading about that but wow a weight off my mind.

On the debt busting side, the cars back on the road all for a whopping £175, so now were sorted for the winter. New brake pads + discs, 2 tyres and new valve. So lots of jobs done and dusted.
    So i'm halfway through the 100 days challenge, so quite proud of myself so far. Just another £450 to go till i can hopefully reach it.

Oh and i looked in Aldi's and they are selling 907 grams of dried milk powder for £1.59. So i'm going to grab some, was a life saver last year when all the shops ran out milk due to snow.
  • JenniO
    JenniO Posts: 547 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the new thread. Money is v. tight this month and I told my OH today as he was buying a .20 p paper, um, thought we are trying to save money this month! :rotfl:He looked at me like I was an alien and said, 'it's only 20 pence!' Maybe I am getting a little too tight now? :o
  • jackieglasgow
    Options
    I think the problem with the long running threads is that previous contentious comments are still easily available for folk to look back, and this is why it can become a bit fractious at times. I loved the previous thread too, but I think the OS Daily provides the same platform, and as its a "fresh" conversation every day, there's less chance of being hijacked by the same issues over and over again. I've noticed Ceridwen Mardatha and a few of the other early morning posters haven't posted on OS at all today and that's quite sad. I don't always agree with what others say, but I hate to think of anyone feeling as if they can't post because of what someone has said to them.

Back on topic, How ar we coping? Well, I'm not at the moment, I am counting every penny and getting myself into a bit of a frenzy. Things are OK financially for us just now, but I worry because winter is on its way, and OH usually is out of work between December and sometimes even February, and our savings are nowhere near where I want them to be. Every penny is a prisoner around here just now.
    mardatha wrote: »
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window :D
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
  • Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    Options
    I like the expression "Every penny is a prisoner round here now" Jackie!

Its the same here altho things aren't too bad but once the CH kicks in daily then the gas will probably cripple me financially all winter - I have cut expenses in other areas but treated myself to Sky Multiroom and wireless internet so that I can be warm and snug in bed on the laptop or watching TV rather than sit up til all hours with the heating on - so really that should pay for itself over the winter months :)

My self employed work (and therefore, income) is dropping :( So I have been applying for part time jobs so hopefully will hear from someone soon :)

Keep missing the Ald* offers - does anyone know what useful goodies are on offer atm?
  • Swampmonster
    Options
    JenniO wrote: »
    Thanks for the new thread. Money is v. tight this month and I told my OH today as he was buying a .20 p paper, um, thought we are trying to save money this month! :rotfl:He looked at me like I was an alien and said, 'it's only 20 pence!' Maybe I am getting a little too tight now? :o

I buy the 20p paper but if there are none left I WILL NOT buy the 40p one as it seems extravegent and like the mantra says if it is twice the price will you enjoy it twice as much. I think not! :rotfl:
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    jackieglasgow

Hope things end up being better than you expect but there is no harm in planning ahead just in case.

We are trying to get as much done to the house as we can before winter so we can batten down the hatches.

DH still stunned by the four round trips he had to make to B and Q a few days ago so we could get loft insulation topping at £3 a roll, but a saving of £100 was worth doing.

Tomorrow we go for a flu jab at Sainsburys (£8 - cheapest deal we could find) and next week I hope to get light fittings up which should make the house feel more of a proper home.

Still need to get a sack of onions, carrots and potatoes to keep in garage but it is full of loft insulation so might need to wait a week or so.

I did not realise the thread had been closed:eek: so very pleased this has been started.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills