Hole in double glazed patio door for cat flap.

Options

Comments

• akitabow
    akitabow Posts: 89 Forumite
    Options
    I can recommend Hammonds in Leigh on sea Essex, They did my windows which I am really happy with and over the weekend came back to replace a unit in my door with a cat flap in for my new addition (a cat not a baby :)) I can forward their details to anybody who wants them just pm me.
    " When life keeps trying to let you down just remember you are not full of hot air so cannot be deflated"
  • TheBlackLodge
    Options
    Hi all,
    I have been reading the cat flap threads with interest.

I am looking for a recommendation for someone to put a cat flap in a double glazed glass door in the Lutterworth area, so anyone does anyone know someone that can do this around there or Nuneaton, Coventry, Rugby sort of way?

Any help on this would really be appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris
  • samtheman1k
    samtheman1k Posts: 473 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I was told that you can't put a catflap in a glass door after manufacturer because they are toughened glass, and cutting it will destroy the structure of the glass and thus it will lose it's toughness. The only safe way is to remove the pane of glass, and get a new smaller pane with a PVC panel at the bottom in which you can easily put in a catflap (or do it through a wall like we did!). The cost of replacing the whole plan should only cost a few hundred quid, similar to what it would cost to get someone to drill a hole through the glass anyway.
  • Grovey1
    Grovey1 Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    I was told that you can't put a catflap in a glass door after manufacturer because they are toughened glass, and cutting it will destroy the structure of the glass and thus it will lose it's toughness. The only safe way is to remove the pane of glass, and get a new smaller pane with a PVC panel at the bottom in which you can easily put in a catflap (or do it through a wall like we did!). The cost of replacing the whole plan should only cost a few hundred quid, similar to what it would cost to get someone to drill a hole through the glass anyway.

You cannot cut toughend glass as it will just shatter what they do is cut the hole in the glass before it is toughend so it would be a complete new glass unit you dont have to have pvc you can just get a new glass unit if you want to keep the glass so after the glass has been cut and put through the tougheing process it is still a strong piece of glass as I work in the trade I know you can put the cat flap in glass or a upvc panel the choice is yours.
  • bugsonic
    bugsonic Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Can any body recommend a glazier or company (within South Devon/Torbay) who can fit a sureflap cat flap into a sealed D/G patio door, I fully understand that the unit would replace the existing one and need to supply the item to be fitted which I have on order. Any help / advice would be great and some idea of cost too! the unit size would be 18" wide - 70" high

many thanks

Bug
    Waddle you do eh?
  • rufusredsetter
    Options
    Hi,

After picking up on this thread I decided to purchase a double glazed unit with a hole in it for a cat flap for a French door from Jackson's Joinery. Julian was very helpful and professional and I was most impressed with his customer service. Thanks to all the people who have already posted positive comments about this company as it made my decision to purchase very easy.
  • maggieball
    Options
    Does anyone know someone reliablewho could give me a reasonable quote to fit a cat flap in a double glazed section of a back door on a newly built house - dimensions approx 52cm x68cm? I live in Cambridge.

• SophieInCam
    Options
    Hi Maggieball,
    Have you managed to find someone in Cambridge? I also live in Cambridge and am trying to do the same thing!
  • ytfcmad
    ytfcmad Posts: 380 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    bugsonic wrote: »
    Can any body recommend a glazier or company (within South Devon/Torbay) who can fit a sureflap cat flap into a sealed D/G patio door, I fully understand that the unit would replace the existing one and need to supply the item to be fitted which I have on order. Any help / advice would be great and some idea of cost too! the unit size would be 18" wide - 70" high

many thanks

Bug

Devonshire Windows Paignton
  • Janetitus
    Options
    Hi

Looking for someone to come and fit a cat flap into Upvc french patio doors in Bristol area......I've been quoted £290 exc VAT exc cat flap and wanting to better this if possible.

Please either respond or private message me

Thank you
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family