Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion

Options

Comments

• jeff_tower
    jeff_tower Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    Goonie wrote: »
    Hi Kingcog, please could you keep the thread updated as to whether you ever receive a 50% offer as I have cancelled and it's due to all be switched off toward the end of the month so am interested in how long it takes to receive the offer, if ever

Thanks
    I got cut off in January after about 10 years with Sky and received nothing by phone or post. A mate cancelled about a month after me and within a fortnight got a phone call offering him 50% off for a year. So I assume its random, but I think I read somewhere you only get so many discount offers and I did have a few, but I really don't have a clue how they decide who gets the offers.
  • pawlala
    pawlala Posts: 1,416 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    got Sky Sports half price and ESPN free both for three months. Will be going back for another deal when the season starts too.
  • ludders
    ludders Posts: 25 Forumite
    Options
    Top thread. Im on virgin xl tv/phone and M broadband for £50.40 just gone up 8%. Thats now over £600 a year!

looked at uswitch and had a webchat on sky who offered for £12.18 Fee SKY unlimited broadband calls and tv extra, its the deal with sky 333 tv channels any time calls even free to NZ cost for 12 month contract and free cloud web access outside
    6 months at 24.75 0r 148.5
    6 months at 49.75 or 298.5
    fee at 12.18
    = 459.18

less £25 ms voucher 434.18.

Thats a big saving and could blow on sky sports for £240 which is just £70 more than im on.
    so im going to call soon, would be tempted by a tivo and mutiroom for less or im off
  • ludders
    Options
    robhw wrote: »
    Just joined the site to say thanks for all the advice in this thread. My Virgin bill had recently gone up to nearly £62 and I decided the time was right to try and renegotiate.

My current package:
    TVXL, V+HD, Extra V box, 10Meg BB, Evening & Weekend Phone

The way I approached the call was to price up the 12 month cost of a similar package for a new customer. The closest (and best value) at the mo seems to be premier package with Tivo 500GB, TVXL, Extra HD box, 60Meg BB +superhub, Weekend Phone. £58.40/m with first 6 months half price. Total 12 month cost £571.80 (18 month contract).

I also, out of interest, priced up Sky and with M&S Voucher a similar package costs £550 for 12 months.

With this ammunition I basically phoned up retentions and said I wanted to be offered the equivalent of a new customer offer or I would move to Sky. I think the important thing to mention was that I wanted my 12 month cost to be circa £570. She immediately offered me the following:

Tivo 500GB (no install fee), TVXL, 30Meg BB + Superhub, Weekend phone

for £46.40/m for 12 months. Also, after 12 months this would go up by only £5 for the next 12 months but I can renegotiate if I want to at that stage. Total 12 month cost - £556.80

I accepted, but then phoned back and spoke to somebody else telling them I had just noticed new customers were getting free multiroom HD and was told I could keep my existing V+HD box for free since I had TV XL!

All around great result I think and shows it's well worth doing a bit of research and costing up beforehand. Hope this example helps some other existing customers also get a good saving. :)

Hmm that looks good for me
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Options
    ludders wrote: »
    Top thread. Im on virgin xl tv/phone and M broadband for £50.40 just gone up 8%. Thats now over £600 a year!

looked at uswitch and had a webchat on sky who offered for £12.18 Fee SKY unlimited broadband calls and tv extra, its the deal with sky 333 tv channels any time calls even free to NZ cost for 12 month contract and free cloud web access outside
    6 months at 24.75 0r 148.5
    6 months at 49.75 or 298.5
    fee at 12.18
    = 459.18

less £25 ms voucher 434.18.

Thats a big saving and could blow on sky sports for £240 which is just £70 more than im on.
    so im going to call soon, would be tempted by a tivo and mutiroom for less or im off

Go through Topcashback or Quidco for over £100 Cashback on top of this deal.

Anon
  • mainvein
    mainvein Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    Richardas wrote: »
    After seeing the deals offered to new customer I phoned Virgin having been informed on-line that existing customers could upgrade to one of the new collections.
    I am currently on 10M broad band and an old fashioned box paying nearly £60 a month with 'Talk anytime'.
    After an argument with the chap who answered the phone who was qoting £68 he passed me on to customer services.
    The end result was that I ended up (after a small haggle) with the 'Essential Collection' - Tivo box, 30M broad band (up from 10) and 'Talk Anytime' thrown in for free. We have lost a few TV channels but most are ones we don't watch anyway.
    Total cost £38.90 - down from £59.10 for better services.

i phoned them up the other day as i noticed the new deals which really gets on my nerves. i was basically told to leave if i wasnt happy.

the chap offered me the chance to get the new collections at the existing customer prices, which i dont want to pay. Then he said i could have a 1tb box as a sweetner, but i had to pay the 'half price' install fee of £50 (prev woman said it was free for 500gb). According to him a 1tb box costs twice as much to install as a 500gb box.

in the end, when i threatened to cancel after over 10 years the absolute very best he could offer was for me to have 10mb broadband, phone and worst tv for £43 a month - basically just cut my tv down, thats not an offer, thats just basic cutting services.

i've been back and forth with virgin on their facebook page too and they quite clearly state that they do not make any offers at all and sorry to see me leave - not impressed by their customer retention at all - they have made me want to leave by not trying to keep my custom
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 14,546 Forumite
    Options
    mainvein wrote: »
    i phoned them up the other day as i noticed the new deals which really gets on my nerves. i was basically told to leave if i wasnt happy.

the chap offered me the chance to get the new collections at the existing customer prices, which i dont want to pay. Then he said i could have a 1tb box as a sweetner, but i had to pay the 'half price' install fee of £50 (prev woman said it was free for 500gb). According to him a 1tb box costs twice as much to install as a 500gb box.

in the end, when i threatened to cancel after over 10 years the absolute very best he could offer was for me to have 10mb broadband, phone and worst tv for £43 a month - basically just cut my tv down, thats not an offer, thats just basic cutting services.

i've been back and forth with virgin on their facebook page too and they quite clearly state that they do not make any offers at all and sorry to see me leave - not impressed by their customer retention at all - they have made me want to leave by not trying to keep my custom

My experience with Virgin Media in recent years is that you rarely get the decent offers by threatening to leave. Unless you strike lucky rare) you have to give notice to leave and then await the callback. Outbound Retentions have the best offers to keep you (you cannot call them).

Anon
  • mainvein
    mainvein Posts: 16 Forumite
    Options
    yeah, i think i will just leave them and see what they come back with. im personally not fussed who provides my services, but i do actually quite like virgin and the internet is top notch but i just cannot stand their customer services.

all im really after is decent unlimited broadband
  • ludders
    Options
    Anon wrote: »
    Go through Topcashback or Quidco for over £100 Cashback on top of this deal.

Anon
    Hiya unless im wrong its not the same deal tcb, but thanks for post
  • zolablue25
    zolablue25 Posts: 1,652 Forumite
    Options
    ludders wrote: »
    Hiya unless im wrong its not the same deal tcb, but thanks for post
    Not sure what you are saying here, but if you are suggesting that you can't negotiate a good deal and take TCB then I think you are mistaken. If you go through TCB (or Quidco) then negotate online with their 'live chat' personnel it should track and hopefully pay out. The live chat folk do offer some cracking deals.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure