Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 10th Aug 10, 4:51 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion
    • 10th Aug 10, 4:51 PM
    Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion 10th Aug 10 at 4:51 PM
    This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Digital TV Cost Cutting Article
    and to discuss what deals you've been offered to help others in their haggling.

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

To see past haggles read the old haggle thread.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 26-01-2011 at 10:41 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 1
    • bbfb10
    • By bbfb10 20th Jan 11, 3:44 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    bbfb10
    • 20th Jan 11, 3:44 PM
    • 20th Jan 11, 3:44 PM
    Last night I phoned up to "leave" sky as we are moving house. We have been out of contract for some time, but never tried to get a deal before. Spoke to a very helpful lady in retentions who let me upgrade my package (basic + sports) to everything and then gave me a 50% discount on the whole lot for 6 months. Ive gone from paying £40 p/m to £24p/m and now I get the movies! Happy days.
  • Pmacl07
    • 20th Jan 11, 4:29 PM
    Sky+ (I know it's bn on here a million times)
    • 20th Jan 11, 4:29 PM
    Been a sky customer since the analogue days n Called sky the other day as we have just normal sky in the lounge n 1Xmulti room, we have a sky + box in the lounge but can't use it as we don't have sky+ active anyhoooo lol called n asked to have the current multiple room changed to sky+ and one more multi room sky+ was told it would £396 in total WTF - going to try the cancellations route tonight - any tips etc would be good........

Many thanks
    Peter
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 20th Jan 11, 4:36 PM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 20th Jan 11, 4:36 PM
    • 20th Jan 11, 4:36 PM
    As long as you have any Sky subscription, turning the Sky+ box's record/playback facilities on is FREE (Sky call it a Sky Plus subscription but that's historical from when they used to charge).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • tb4100
    • By tb4100 20th Jan 11, 6:15 PM
    • 80 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    tb4100
    • 20th Jan 11, 6:15 PM
    • 20th Jan 11, 6:15 PM
    Ten minutes ago I rang sky I tried to cancel and was offered the works,

6 months 1/2 price tv package ,HD sky + box and even the £15

postage refunded well pleased.

We already have virgin phone and broadband so we really were going to

cancel maybe not now.
  • Enji_Benji
    • 20th Jan 11, 6:56 PM
    • 20th Jan 11, 6:56 PM
    called up to leave virgin and they didn't even try to offer me anything decent.

Have, at the moment:

XL TV and V+ HD box
    2 additional V Boxes
    M Broadband
    Line Rental
    Sky movies and sky sports

Paying £93.99 for that all.

Best offer I was given was £87. Absolutely shocking.

bye bye virgin.
    • aldredd
    • By aldredd 21st Jan 11, 3:12 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    aldredd
    • 21st Jan 11, 3:12 PM
    • 21st Jan 11, 3:12 PM
    Has anyone had any luck negotiating on the price of the 1TB sky box?
    We're forever running out of space, as we record lots of HD content, and just watch as & when we have time.

We currently have TV+HD+BB+LL+LR package - so are pretty good customers. I just begrudge paying the £250 asking price for the box
  • tek guy
    • 21st Jan 11, 4:41 PM
    • 21st Jan 11, 4:41 PM
    Tek Guy,

When I have rung up to "cancel" I have always been put through from the out of UK operators to a Scottish call centre who are much more willing to help and discuss. Cancel the cancellation and try again in a few days.....
    Originally posted by robd831
    Alright bud, might try this again, really was getting fed up with them, called them twice and was only getting offered HD+ box & installation free even tho I've got 4 mixes + Sports + movies on crummy old DigiBox .

Might try again later tho...
    • shayshay
    • By shayshay 22nd Jan 11, 8:23 PM
    • 191 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    shayshay
    • 22nd Jan 11, 8:23 PM
    • 22nd Jan 11, 8:23 PM
    Are the chances of getting a discount any better nowadays or is the world of half price for 6 months gone?

I have nirmal sky in just the one room but have movies and sport packages included however have a need to reduce some of my bills and my sky is currently £67. Is it worth threatening to leave or do they know that trick now?
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 23rd Jan 11, 7:46 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    I tried to get a reduction from my HD , multi room, sports package. My HD box was bought privately and on the way out.

Nice guy who said there were no deals at the moment and could not reduce the price. He did offer an engineers visit (£65) to assess the box and a repair or replace as necessary. I kept talking and he gave me the visit free. Not a great deal but if I get a new box free I will be happy. Are they new or reconditioned and will I get a guarantee ?
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 23rd Jan 11, 3:40 PM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    Heinz
    Not a great deal but if I get a new box free I will be happy. Are they new or reconditioned and will I get a guarantee ?
    Originally posted by bobstheboy
    Almost certainly secondhand. 3 months warranty.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • ncd
    • By ncd 24th Jan 11, 10:14 AM
    • 288 Posts
    • 747 Thanks
    ncd
    I phoned Sky on behalf of my inlaws on Saturday. They have been with Sky for 4 years and still have the old non-Sky+ box with 4 `mixes' and Sky Sports. I was put through the retentions team and they only offered a new Sky+HD box and installation. The guy wouldn't budge on lowering the monthly cost or anything else
    • aldredd
    • By aldredd 24th Jan 11, 10:27 AM
    • 918 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    aldredd
    Hmm, judging by other people's responses, it doesn't sound like SKY are giving much away - perhaps I'll just have to keep saving up for that 1tb box )
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 24th Jan 11, 10:36 AM
    • 11,029 Posts
    • 4,444 Thanks
    Heinz
    I phoned Sky on behalf of my inlaws on Saturday. They have been with Sky for 4 years and still have the old non-Sky+ box with 4 `mixes' and Sky Sports. I was put through the retentions team and they only offered a new Sky+HD box and installation. The guy wouldn't budge on lowering the monthly cost or anything else
    Originally posted by ncd
    Hmm, judging by other people's responses, it doesn't sound like SKY are giving much away - perhaps I'll just have to keep saving up for that 1tb box )
    Originally posted by aldredd
    Not giving much away?

They supplied and installed a standard box free of charge (OK, may have been some time ago) and are now offering to supply and intall a new HD box free of charge.

What other company does that sort of thing?
    Last edited by Heinz; 24-01-2011 at 10:39 AM.
    • aldredd
    • By aldredd 24th Jan 11, 10:44 AM
    • 918 Posts
    • 658 Thanks
    aldredd
    They supplied and installed a standard box free of charge (OK, may have been some time ago) and are now offering to supply and intall a new HD box free of charge.
    Originally posted by Heinz
    hence 'much'

What other company does that sort of thing?
    Mobile phone companies will give away a £500 phone and if you're negotiating at renewal time, you can get a cracking deal on your monthly cost too.
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 24th Jan 11, 1:30 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    Engineer just been and installed a new HD box. He did say that it should have been a reconditioned box but he had just installed his last one so a new box it was !! Very happy.
    • bill the bus
    • By bill the bus 25th Jan 11, 9:44 PM
    • 469 Posts
    • 1,044 Thanks
    bill the bus
    Called Sky on Saturday to cancel as am on 90 day notice, underpaid menial Public Sector worker. Got a 50% reduction in my package, subs only, so saved £26 a month for 6 month and advised to call back in June to adjust package if am still not working. Was prepared to cancel if needed and but a Freesat box.
  • mik1234a
    Sky tv
    Sky have moved their call center to Asia and will happily keep you on the line for 3 hours, premium rate, before they tell you they have no authority to give you a discount. Eventually they just hang up. Sky tv used to have one of the best service levels going, now it is a complete sham.
    • bobstheboy
    • By bobstheboy 26th Jan 11, 7:53 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 727 Thanks
    bobstheboy
    Sky have moved their call center to Asia and will happily keep you on the line for 3 hours, premium rate, before they tell you they have no authority to give you a discount. Eventually they just hang up. Sky tv used to have one of the best service levels going, now it is a complete sham.
    Originally posted by mik1234a
    Well, having spoke to them in the past week, I should be surprised that their Asian Call Centre is manned by Scots
  • moneysaversfan
    I did this last week and received films for 6 months free; it actually works out £1.00 cheaper than if you didn't have the films in the first place!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

2,583Users online

Martin's Twitter