Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > TV MoneySaving > Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and ge... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Sky, Virgin & BT TV Haggle down prices and get serious discounts Article Discussion
Views: 1,170,431
Old 10-08-2010, 4:51 PM   #1
MSE Archna
Senior Researcher
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This thread is specifically to discuss the content of the

Digital TV Cost Cutting Article
and to discuss what deals you've been offered to help others in their haggling.

To discuss or ask a question about the article: click reply

To see past haggles read the old haggle thread.

Last edited by MSE Archna; 26-01-2011 at 10:41 AM.
MSE Archna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MSE Archna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
bbfb10
Old 20-01-2011, 3:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Last night I phoned up to "leave" sky as we are moving house. We have been out of contract for some time, but never tried to get a deal before. Spoke to a very helpful lady in retentions who let me upgrade my package (basic + sports) to everything and then gave me a 50% discount on the whole lot for 6 months. Ive gone from paying 40 p/m to 24p/m and now I get the movies! Happy days.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bbfb10 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Pmacl07
Old 20-01-2011, 4:29 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sky+ (I know it's bn on here a million times)

Been a sky customer since the analogue days n Called sky the other day as we have just normal sky in the lounge n 1Xmulti room, we have a sky + box in the lounge but can't use it as we don't have sky+ active anyhoooo lol called n asked to have the current multiple room changed to sky+ and one more multi room sky+ was told it would 396 in total WTF - going to try the cancellations route tonight - any tips etc would be good........

Many thanks
Peter
The Following User Says Thank You to Pmacl07 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Heinz
Old 20-01-2011, 4:36 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

As long as you have any Sky subscription, turning the Sky+ box's record/playback facilities on is FREE (Sky call it a Sky Plus subscription but that's historical from when they used to charge).
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
I will continue to help with Orchid programming whenever possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heinz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
tb4100
Old 20-01-2011, 6:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ten minutes ago I rang sky I tried to cancel and was offered the works,

6 months 1/2 price tv package ,HD sky + box and even the 15

postage refunded well pleased.

We already have virgin phone and broadband so we really were going to

cancel maybe not now.
The Following User Says Thank You to tb4100 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Enji_Benji
Old 20-01-2011, 6:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

called up to leave virgin and they didn't even try to offer me anything decent.

Have, at the moment:

XL TV and V+ HD box
2 additional V Boxes
M Broadband
Line Rental
Sky movies and sky sports

Paying 93.99 for that all.

Best offer I was given was 87. Absolutely shocking.

bye bye virgin.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enji_Benji For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
aldredd
Old 21-01-2011, 3:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Has anyone had any luck negotiating on the price of the 1TB sky box?
We're forever running out of space, as we record lots of HD content, and just watch as & when we have time.

We currently have TV+HD+BB+LL+LR package - so are pretty good customers. I just begrudge paying the 250 asking price for the box
The Following User Says Thank You to aldredd For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
tek guy
Old 21-01-2011, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by robd831 View Post
Tek Guy,

When I have rung up to "cancel" I have always been put through from the out of UK operators to a Scottish call centre who are much more willing to help and discuss. Cancel the cancellation and try again in a few days.....
Alright bud, might try this again, really was getting fed up with them, called them twice and was only getting offered HD+ box & installation free even tho I've got 4 mixes + Sports + movies on crummy old DigiBox .

Might try again later tho...
# 9
shayshay
Old 22-01-2011, 8:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Are the chances of getting a discount any better nowadays or is the world of half price for 6 months gone?

I have nirmal sky in just the one room but have movies and sport packages included however have a need to reduce some of my bills and my sky is currently 67. Is it worth threatening to leave or do they know that trick now?
The Following User Says Thank You to shayshay For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
bobstheboy
Old 23-01-2011, 7:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I tried to get a reduction from my HD , multi room, sports package. My HD box was bought privately and on the way out.

Nice guy who said there were no deals at the moment and could not reduce the price. He did offer an engineers visit (65) to assess the box and a repair or replace as necessary. I kept talking and he gave me the visit free. Not a great deal but if I get a new box free I will be happy. Are they new or reconditioned and will I get a guarantee ?
# 11
Heinz
Old 23-01-2011, 3:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobstheboy View Post
Not a great deal but if I get a new box free I will be happy. Are they new or reconditioned and will I get a guarantee ?
Almost certainly secondhand. 3 months warranty.
Much of the advice on residential telephony I have given over the past 9 years or so is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
The Following User Says Thank You to Heinz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
ncd
Old 24-01-2011, 10:14 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I phoned Sky on behalf of my inlaws on Saturday. They have been with Sky for 4 years and still have the old non-Sky+ box with 4 `mixes' and Sky Sports. I was put through the retentions team and they only offered a new Sky+HD box and installation. The guy wouldn't budge on lowering the monthly cost or anything else
# 13
aldredd
Old 24-01-2011, 10:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hmm, judging by other people's responses, it doesn't sound like SKY are giving much away - perhaps I'll just have to keep saving up for that 1tb box )
# 14
Heinz
Old 24-01-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncd View Post
I phoned Sky on behalf of my inlaws on Saturday. They have been with Sky for 4 years and still have the old non-Sky+ box with 4 `mixes' and Sky Sports. I was put through the retentions team and they only offered a new Sky+HD box and installation. The guy wouldn't budge on lowering the monthly cost or anything else
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldredd View Post
Hmm, judging by other people's responses, it doesn't sound like SKY are giving much away - perhaps I'll just have to keep saving up for that 1tb box )
Not giving much away?

They supplied and installed a standard box free of charge (OK, may have been some time ago) and are now offering to supply and intall a new HD box free of charge.

What other company does that sort of thing?

Last edited by Heinz; 24-01-2011 at 10:39 AM.
# 15
aldredd
Old 24-01-2011, 10:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
They supplied and installed a standard box free of charge (OK, may have been some time ago) and are now offering to supply and intall a new HD box free of charge.
hence 'much'

Quote:
What other company does that sort of thing?
Mobile phone companies will give away a 500 phone and if you're negotiating at renewal time, you can get a cracking deal on your monthly cost too.
# 16
bobstheboy
Old 24-01-2011, 1:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Engineer just been and installed a new HD box. He did say that it should have been a reconditioned box but he had just installed his last one so a new box it was !! Very happy.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobstheboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
bill the bus
Old 25-01-2011, 9:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Called Sky on Saturday to cancel as am on 90 day notice, underpaid menial Public Sector worker. Got a 50% reduction in my package, subs only, so saved 26 a month for 6 month and advised to call back in June to adjust package if am still not working. Was prepared to cancel if needed and but a Freesat box.
The Following User Says Thank You to bill the bus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
mik1234a
Old 25-01-2011, 10:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Sky tv

Sky have moved their call center to Asia and will happily keep you on the line for 3 hours, premium rate, before they tell you they have no authority to give you a discount. Eventually they just hang up. Sky tv used to have one of the best service levels going, now it is a complete sham.
The Following User Says Thank You to mik1234a For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
bobstheboy
Old 26-01-2011, 7:53 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik1234a View Post
Sky have moved their call center to Asia and will happily keep you on the line for 3 hours, premium rate, before they tell you they have no authority to give you a discount. Eventually they just hang up. Sky tv used to have one of the best service levels going, now it is a complete sham.
Well, having spoke to them in the past week, I should be surprised that their Asian Call Centre is manned by Scots
The Following User Says Thank You to bobstheboy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
moneysaversfan
Old 26-01-2011, 8:22 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I did this last week and received films for 6 months free; it actually works out 1.00 cheaper than if you didn't have the films in the first place!
The Following User Says Thank You to moneysaversfan For This Useful Post: Show me >>