Odd food combos

wigglebeena
wigglebeena Posts: 1,988 Forumite
edited 13 July 2010 at 7:10PM in Old style MoneySaving
When you're using up bits and bobs in an MSE old-stylee way, do you ever eat some odd combinations? I often wind up with stuff I wouldn't serve to someone else but happily chow down on myself. E.g. currently eating my lunch - mashed potato, pasta sauce and a boiled kipper.

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]

Comments

• jo101_2
    jo101_2 Posts: 153
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi

I come up with some odd combos too when I am trying to use up what I have.

The other day I had such a mish mash on my plate that it reminded me of being on holiday where you pile everything on your plate at an all you can eat buffet.
    Jo
    Starting with a clean slate.

August grocery challenge - £250
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    I have real hangups about this which I know I should get over but I can't! I'd never serve curry with pasta or bolognese with potatoes - I have no idea why as I know it makes no sense but I just can't. For what its worth I think its me who's odd not people who do!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • rachbc wrote: »
    I have real hangups about this which I know I should get over but I can't! I'd never serve curry with pasta or bolognese with potatoes - I have no idea why as I know it makes no sense but I just can't. For what its worth I think its me who's odd not people who do!

I'm the same. I have to have the right mix of things. All my family love pasta salad made with mayo and salad cream and veg served cold. I just can't eat it as its not right.
    I can't drink water out of a mug either or drink soup out of a mug:rotfl::o
    You learn to love to live
    You fight and you forgive
    You face the darkest night
    Just live before you die
  • midnightraven3
    midnightraven3 Posts: 2,720
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    longtermlurker

i want to hug you!!!!

i have builders in
    about half an hour ago one went to take a mug and dispense water frm the fridge thingy
    i went "noooooooooooooo" and had a glass in his hand, mug in the dishwasher before he could blink

my daughter said "oh noooooooo you cant drink water from a mug, she wont let you":rotfl:
  • dandy-candy
    dandy-candy Posts: 2,213
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    On more than one occassion I've found my DH sitting down to toast with Marmite, tuna, baked beans and cheese on it. I'd like to be able to say it was because he was starving and that was all he could find in the cupboard but sadly not - he actually likes that combination! Ewww it makes me feel ill just thinking about it...
  • longtermlurker

i want to hug you!!!!

i have builders in
    about half an hour ago one went to take a mug and dispense water frm the fridge thingy
    i went "noooooooooooooo" and had a glass in his hand, mug in the dishwasher before he could blink

my daughter said "oh noooooooo you cant drink water from a mug, she wont let you":rotfl:

Thank goodnes I'm not the only wierdo:rotfl: I can't drink bathroom water either it doesn't taste right:o

Sorry op for highjacking your thread.
    You learn to love to live
    You fight and you forgive
    You face the darkest night
    Just live before you die
  • debtdesperado
    debtdesperado Posts: 379 Forumite
    Pre-MSE I used to follow recipes slavishly and that used to generate loads of leftovers... but I didn't have the knowledge to be able to do anything else with them. It was actually cheaper for me to buy ready meals and then there was no waste... (crackers, I know).

Now I am MSE, when I have a load of leftovers, I just think get one more meal out of it - it hasn't got to be delicious, it's just got to fill you up for a few hours and means that you can delay going to the shops for another day!

A complete turnaround!
  • Bronnie
    Bronnie Posts: 4,165
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    When you're using up bits and bobs in an MSE old-stylee way, do you ever eat some odd combinations? I often wind up with stuff I wouldn't serve to someone else but happily chow down on myself. E.g. currently eating my lunch - mashed potato, pasta sauce and a boiled kipper.

No! Another one who can't do this either!

Wouldn't waste them either, but would probably make a fishcake with the mash and kipper and the pasta sauce on plain spag with parmesan for another cheap meal.
  • taurusgb
    taurusgb Posts: 909
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Forumite
    I had some left over boiled new potatoes and some left over cooked rice in the fridge last week, so I asked my teenagers who wanted the rice and who wanted the potatoes with salad for lunch? - they argued a bit over who should have what, so I stir fried the rice and potatoes together and they loved it.....and I frequently have whatever is left over from last nights dinner on toast for my lunch - no matter what it is!!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading ;)
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
  • melli_2
    melli_2 Posts: 161 Forumite
    my lunch today leftover chickpea and chirzo tapas style dish and the last of my potato salad. Not mixed together though :rotfl:
    I'm always eating random left overs, want not waste not etc
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport