Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > Debt Free Diaries > fighting my way out of the misery, moody,mayhem m... (Page 16)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
fighting my way out of the misery, moody,mayhem muddle.
Views: 17,966
# 301
retiredandskint
Old 05-12-2011, 7:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Excellent job Robsmum.

Have you tried your doctor's surgery or any of the many products for help in giving up smoking? It can be done I was a 40+ a day (more at weekends) and did it 18 years ago.
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 302
beanielou
Old 05-12-2011, 7:37 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Ive more or less done it as well.
Only have a very odd one now when I have a drink.
Maybe 10 all year to date.
Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs**

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
It starts with you, it starts from now.
# 303
DreamerHelen
Old 06-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Wow...I think you're inspirational....well you certainly are to me anyway hun!! Well done!!!

With regards to cutting down on smoking....I was smoking 40+ a day and had been smoking for 17 years when I decided to quit....It was because my Boyfriend at the time told me what cigarettes had done to his Mum...and that really shocked me. He then gave me an Incentive...something that I really really wanted if I could give up Smoking for 3 months....which I did.

I went to the Doctor's...and they sent me to a "Stop Smoking Clinic" but I didn't find that helpful given that the Advisor openly told me that HE hadn't given up smoking himself!!!!

In the end it was mostly willpower....and the fact that I couldn't afford it...

Maybe you could start by saying you will cut down by one pack a week....Baby steps remember? Maybe that will help...

I believe in you hun...you CAN and WILL achieve your Goals...look how far you've come already....
Debt At LBM £48,106.15 DFBXMAS #184 £295.26/£48,106.15 (£47,860.89) Emergency Fund #13 £15.47/£1000 1.54% Achieved!! Debt in 100 days £245.90 Left To Clear SPC #089 SPC7 2014 - Target Is a FREE Christmas!! - Stars From SueUU x12
The Following User Says Thank You to DreamerHelen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 304
robsmum
Old 06-12-2011, 1:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Day off today and weekly housework blitz done, only the ironing left. I swear the fairies drop that off over night!

Successfully fitted the draught excluderOH isn't able to do DIY and BIL when I asked him to fit it said it would have to wait until after Christmas! That was all the incentive I needed. Am so chuffed about the ease with which I did it am going to buy another and do my kitchen door.

Going to start 2nd pyjama case today then once that's done my sewing machine can go away until after Christmas -I need the table.

Thank you for all your supportive comments they really help to keep me motivated.

Am going to tackle the smoking straight after Christmas as I think I have more chance when I'm not surrounded by heavy smokers. Sounds like delaying tacticsit's not just giving myself a fighting chance.
More later.
Debt at start of DMP 1/6/09: £2942 - £1942
Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
£2 saving plan:-
The Following User Says Thank You to robsmum For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 305
robsmum
Old 08-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Just done BIL's cleaning so that's an extra £20 earntGoing to finish the 2nd pyjama case this afternoon and thats another persent done.
Am Christmas shopping on Saturday with BIL -rather I am accompanying him and stopping him having a tantrum for which he buys me lunch. This is my annual gritting of teeth session and pointing him in the right direction. Getting it easier each year as I keep sending him on Amazon
Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
# 306
robsmum
Old 13-12-2011, 7:25 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

BIL's Christmas shopping doneOur Christmas shopping done apart from last minute fresh things
Weekly housework blitz also done

Plans for this week:
Refresh Christmas decorations
Put up tree
Wrap presents
Start Christmas baking
Clear veg patch if weather permits
Last of this weeks ironing.

All looking good so far - am impressed with how much simpler everything has been this year all down to getting organised!

Just read that the average family wastes £50 of food a month -don't think I've wasted that in a year
Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
# 307
robsmum
Old 20-12-2011, 1:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Last day off and alone before Christmas! Got the weekly housework blitz all done, just thye usual ironing left.

What I've learnt this year is organisation is definately the key, along with baby steps and 15 minute bursts. I haven't been this organized in yearsIt is a lovely feeling to reach Christmas completely un-stressed and solvent
I've even coped with BIL's annual Christmas meltdown -this year has been far worse than normal as he's having to move out of his comfort zone and go with his parents to his daughters in Exeter. He's phobic about ChristmasI just gritted my teeth, let him waffle on and suggested next year he either got counselling or volunteered for the Salvation Army

Going to browse around the net and see if I can find a simple budgetting sheet for next year and have some lunch.
Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
# 308
JennyJewell
Old 21-12-2011, 11:19 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hellloooooooo
Just wanted to say hello because I've been so busy and haven't got on here for aggeeeessss!!!!
You've done well with your diary hunny - well done
Hope you have a lovely Xmas - it's already sounding like a chilled start
Catch you soon love
Jen xx
Everything happens for a reason
The Following User Says Thank You to JennyJewell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 309
JennyJewell
Old 31-12-2011, 7:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Happy New Year robsmum and her lovely followers
Love Jenny xx
Everything happens for a reason
The Following User Says Thank You to JennyJewell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 310
beanielou
Old 31-12-2011, 10:12 PM

Wishing you lots of health and happiness in 2012.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
# 311
laura2481
Old 02-01-2012, 11:27 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

HI RM! Happy new year xxxxxx
# 312
robsmum
Old 12-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Happy New Year to any followers! Finally made it back after a hectic Christmas and New Year. Christmas was nice but were surrounded by illness and trauma(fortunately not us directly) which continued until last weekIt seems it was decreed somewhere that any problem I can sort out!

Finally got the house cleared, cleaned and sorted out post Christmas and now feel up to facing this years challenges.

Off for a small potter in the garden before lunch and then work on monthly plans.
Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
# 313
beanielou
Old 12-01-2012, 12:45 PM

Glad you are ok.

The Following User Says Thank You to beanielou For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 314
robsmum
Old 17-01-2012, 12:52 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Day off today and weekly housework blitz done. It's freezing today and having just had workmen fitting a new aerial and satalite feed its only just warmer indoors than outHave now shut all the doors and put back up heating on to get back to at least 18 degrees.

Good news we got our electricity statement yesterday and we are £121.00 in credit and our DD has been reduced by £7.00 a month,proof that being frugal does help.

Financial:
Solvent but a bit tight for a few weeks. I owe OH £97.00 but that's the only thing I owe. Soon get back on the straight and narrow.
House:
All tidy and cleaned post Christmas. Chasing the HA to find out when our replacement kitchen and heating is happening - was promised before the end of financial year but can't see that happeningat present they are reluctant/not interested in even returning our calls
Garden:
First seeds sown and in propagator - chillis, leeks and a coffee bean plant and pheasant eyes(annual flower). Carrotts sown in growbag in greenhouse.
Small bit of weeding and tidying also achieved.
Health and Wellbeing:
Got to make dentist appointment for check up. Starting on smoking reduction next week.
Knowledge and Learning
Have taught myself a basic understandng of spreadsheets and am hoping to use them to keep a watchful eye on the budget.
Read 2 different style books and am enjoying that challenge of expanding my reading.
Creative:
Having worked out why my blocks for patchwork quilt were not working am going to try again and start a quilt.
Still to do this week:
2 weeks of menu plans
Ironing
Seems to be a good start to the year.
Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
# 315
beanielou
Old 17-01-2012, 1:11 PM

So & see your local council manny/wifie as they should be able to help re kitchen.
As you say though a good start to the year

# 316
robsmum
Old 19-01-2012, 3:12 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Done BIL's cleaning today so that's £20.00 extra earntHave also managed to work out how to do the block for the quilt and managed 1 but at this rate it will take me 20 years to do a quilt!

Going to have a few 15 minute bursts now and get ironing done, swish and wipe of main areas and bit of tidying for weekend. Suffering a bit with a dose of CBA
Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
# 317
robsmum
Old 24-01-2012, 2:08 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Day off today and still suffering witrh a dose of CBA! Haven't yet done the weekly housework blitz, only the kitchen so far

Financial:
Still tight but paid OH £20 so that is a bit less I owe him and won £5 on the lottery (that will go into my savings pot when I cash it in).

House:
A bit untidy ans needs a quick blitz.

Garden:
1st seedlings are beginning to germinateneed to get them out of propagator and into greenhouse.

Health and Wellbeing:
Dental appointment made. Not started on smoking reduction.
Creative:
Have made another block for quilt and have now run out of 1 lot of fabric.got 2 more cut out so can do them before I have to spend anymore money.
First preserves of the year made: mango chutney,caramalized onion chutney and orange and lemon marmalade.
Knowledge and Learning:
Still reading different books. Attended another parish council meeting, very informative.

Off now to do a very quick blitz and try to rid myself of CBA

Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
# 318
beanielou
Old 24-01-2012, 5:13 PM

Think the CBA is the time of year.
Keep plodding.

# 319
robsmum
Old 02-02-2012, 3:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Been a rough week or so. BIL has needed a lot of support emotionally and practicaly due to having his old car written off. Fortunately he wasn't hurt just very frustrated.
After 10 days of searching the internet and the local area he at last found a car yesterday and collects it tonight. That problem is now solved.

Finally got an answer from the HA regarding our kitchen and heaters - as I thought it is now going to be during the next finacial year and not this one as promisedI am very frustrated as we had put everything on hold, so now are going to re-plan. I have put in a formal complaint but don't think it will make much difference.

Have decided to go over the entire house at the weekend armed with a note book and see what needs/wants doing and tackle it from there.

Work have the builders in - the start of a big messy project which has made that quite difficult also. Boss lady expects the house to be maintained as normal whilst building work takes place

So now writting this week off and starting afresh at the weekend

I will not be beaten by these challenges.
Buffer Zone 1; £84 -
# 320
beanielou
Old 02-02-2012, 5:27 PM

Keep plodding!