Caught out by DazzleWhite

Options
globalds
globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
edited 28 June 2009 at 1:24PM in Praise, vent & warnings
I am usually pretty good at seeing rip off's before I fall for them.
But I clicked a link on a web site .I am not certain where I saw it .
The Offer is for a 14 day free trial.
The truth is nothing like that.
There have already been 3 charges on my Credit Card and even though I am yet to recieve anything I have been told to cancel will cost me $59.00 ..There is also a £1.50 charge on the card each time as it is US Dollar.

I have phoned to cancel my card which is with Halifax .
Now I just have to wait and see what happens next ..
But I wish I had googled before I filled in the forms ..
This is the kind of comments I am finding :
http://www.slideshare.net/dazzlewhitepro/dazzle-white-pro-free-trial
Holy Crap, this is such a freakin rip off. So much for a Free Trail sample. I was also told that I only had to pay the shipping cost and no obligation. I cancelled 3 days ago and a charge was still taken from my credit card for $59.95 and once I called they told me that I had to return the product in order to get my refund. I was also told by the young lady that it's the consumers responsibility to read the terms and conditions. What a crock! Stay away from this program because it sucks.
I am aware that it is my responsibility to check T&C's but this advert is misleading and I think a few more people are going to fall for this scam

Comments

• fwor
    fwor Posts: 6,811 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    At first sight it doesn't appear to be a scam, because if you look directly at their .com website, the words "free trial offer" do not appear - only the words "trial offer".

http://www.dazzlewhite.com/index.php

However, they run an affiliate programme, and if you look at a typical affiliate's web page, they call it "free". If you click on their link, you will of course go to Dazzlewhite's "trial offer" page, which is certainly not free.

http://www.topbargains.com.au/s/free-trial-of-dazzle-white-pro---tooth-whitening

It's clever, because Dazzlewhite can always claim to be blameless. It's always the naughty affiliate - with whom you have no agreement - that misled you. As usual, the first mention that the trial will cost you an immediate $58.76 is way down in the tiny print of the Terms and Conditions...
  • competitionscafe
    competitionscafe Posts: 4,050 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 29 June 2009 at 1:38AM
    Options
    See this thread where dazzle white was discussed:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1765773&highlight=dazzlewhite

According to their website their "World Headquarters" is at this address:

Gillmap Limited
    9 Broom Hill
    Stanley, DH9 8AZ
    Durham
    UK

If you look at Google Maps you will see that it's a semi-detached house. It's also only a few hundred metres from another address linked with a 'make money at home' with Google Revolution scam and a number of other nearby addresses also linked with similar Google Payday home working scams.

Something dodgy definately going on there!

Dazzle White are also the subject of a spam complaint.

Might be worth letting the OFT or Trading Standards know about this one.

Seems to be a lot of dazzlewhite complaints here.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • globalds
    globalds Posts: 9,431 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.
    I contacted customer support and if pushed they will cancel the other 2 things that it seems you sign up to whilst getting this "Free" offer .
    I have cancelled my card so I can't see how they can get any more money off me ..Other than knocking at my door.
    Still not actually received anything so next on the list should be trading standards.
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    Hmm - did a search on Google and it seems their head office is actually in Canada.
    Not sure why they say their "World Headquarters" no less is in a house in County Durham. :confused:

Seems a very dodgy company - according to this: http://www.webcops.net/just_think_media_spam_scams_8001.html they have been sued by Microsoft for software piracy and are behind some other scams for Acai and weightloss tea which have attracted a lot of complaints. :eek: Not a company you want to give your credit card details to anyway!
    -- Author Unknown --
  • Durutti
    Options
    They are a clever scam to get you to sign up for loads stuff. I was suspicious when after the payment page another one popped up offering free shipping for a further free trail, but I contacted their live chat page and this is the conversation, (The BBB is the American version of the OFT - Better Business Bureau) excuse the typos.

General Info
    Chat start time Jul 17, 2009 10:42:24 AM EST Chat end time Jul 17, 2009 10:56:13 AM EST Duration (actual chatting time) 00:13:48 Operator Fred Chat Transcript
    info: Please wait for a site operator to respond.
    info: You are now chatting with 'Fred'
    Fred: Hello and welcome to DazzleWhite. I'll be your live operator today. May I know, whom am I chatting with?
    you: John
    Fred: Hi, are you here to place an order?
    you: No, I wish to cancel my membership to everything I seem to have been subscribed to when applying for your FREE trial
    Fred: Could you please provide me with your full name, email address and postal/zip code, so that I can pull up your details?
    you: John
    you: # XXXXXXXXX Belfast, Co Anrtim BTXXXX
    you: XXXXXX
    Fred: Please allow me few moments, while I locate your transaction.
    you: I also wish to know why my $1.95 shippiseems to have leaped to $11.90
    Fred: You have been charged an extra $9.95 for international shipping.
    you: There was no mention of that until I received the email receipt.
    you: So I wish to cancel the free trial as well
    Fred: Please review the Terms and Conditions which you had indicated that you had read and agreed to before placing your order:
    Fred: http www dazzlewhite.com/confirmOrder.php (Can't post links)
    Fred: I apologize, but it is clearly stated in our terms & conditions that you will be charged and extra $ 9.95 for intl shipping.
    you: I would query the CLEARLY STATES as it is quite small and buried in other terms. So I shall cancel the The entire transaction, thanks
    Fred: You have been removed from the auto ship program and you will not be receiving any further shipments. As per the Terms and Conditions you agreed to before placing your order, your card will be charged the discounted rate of $58.76 for the first shipment of Dazzle Whitening teeth after the completion of the trial period.
    Fred: Your cancellation # is
    Fred: 134041
    you: Why would my card be charged $58.76?
    you: Or should I say you will not charge my card $58.76
    Fred: At the time you placed this order, your details were sent to our shipping department and your order has been processed. We are unable to stop it.
    Fred: You will receive the first month supply.
    you: Ok and can you stop it if I call my credit card company stop the payment and report your Firm to the Office of fair trading and the BBB
    you: your site is deliberately design to hide the fact you are charging much more than $1.95
    Fred: We have cancelled your order and you will not receive any shipment from us and your details have been removed from our system.
    you: Thank you very much
    Fred: Thank you very much for chatting with us today. Please contact us back for any further query. We are always here and happy to assist you.
    you: I will make a record of this conversation just in case, you do understand. AND I KNOW ITS NOT YOUR FAULT , PERSONALLY. Best of Luck
    Fred: Yes, I can understand.
    Fred: Good Bye.
    you: Bye
  • competitionscafe
    Options
    According to a search on Google the owner is called Jesse Willms and the real company address of Dazzlewhite is:

Just Think media
    11 Athabascan Avenue,
    Suite 240, Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada T8A 6H2
    Telephone: (780) 416-0211
    Email: [EMAIL="corporate@justthinkmedia.com"]corporate@justthinkmedia.com[/EMAIL]

The recommendation on the complaints website is to report it by filing a complaint at these websites :

https://econsumer.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

https://www.recol.ca/intro.aspx?lang=en
    -- Author Unknown --
  • jireh337
    jireh337 Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 21 July 2009 at 9:47PM
    Options
    :beer:
    Cheers Durutti for posting your chat conversation with dazzlewhite, I called them on the phone but they still were determined they were going to ship the order, no matter how furious I got or threatened them with the BBB!
    So I went for the live chat option, cutting and pasting your comments and it worked a treat I have just received a cancellation e-mail and I won't be receiving anything nasty through the post now or on my bank statement!
    Phew!!!!
    Can't believe I went for this in the first place, but my instinct about it was not good so I started to search their reputation - I am so glad that I did!
  • minky58
    Options
    unfortunately i was conned by this credible ad. i had not received my product until i phoned to cancel my order and then it arrived the next day. funny that! i was assured on the live chat that my subscription was cancelled but just to make sure i phoned them as well. i also contacted my bank who have put a stop on the account so no payments will be made. the bank informed me that it would be unlikely for the company to take action for non payment. i returned the product, with a covering letter quoting the cancellation number, on the same day as i received it. i have also kept a transcript of all conversations and live chat. i now wait in anticipation to see the outcome and whether they attempt to make a charge against my card. the next step will be the trading standards and its american/canadian equivalent the BBB.
  • joolsrob
    Options
    I am embarrassed to say that I too have been conned by Dazzle white and can't believe I have been so stupid! There is little consolation in the fact that I am not the only one out there unfortunately. After reading Durutti's live chat conversation I have literally just contacted them to cancel but was told that they no longer can help with cancellations by live chat so I have to phone 3 separate companies to cancel 3 (yes 3!) subscriptions. The numbers are as follows if anyone needs them.(I have pasted and copied extracts from the actual conversation I had - hope this is ok)
    First number I have is from the Dazzle white free trial order page: 0-808-120-1987
    Chat went on to say
    Ananya: To cancel Insiders secrets tips please call on 0-808-120-2346 Insider Secrets To Weight Loss (Shows on statement as Web Access Fee).
    Ananya: And, on 0-800-047-0192 to cancel Comprehensive Weight Loss E-book Package (Shows on statement as Membership)
    Ananya: When you subscribed to our services, you were automatically enrolled with Insider Secrets and Comprehensive. And, you have to cancel their services as well, if you won't wish to be charged.
    I could rant and rant about how badly misleading this offer was :mad: but know that I should have read all the small print - and my lesson learned is that if I can't be bothered to read all the small print then I won't be sending off for any so called "free trials"!

I will let you know once I have called the above numbers (in the next few minutes) how I get on.
  • pitkin2020
    pitkin2020 Posts: 4,029 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    why call them to cancel just call your bank and cancel through them
    Everyones opinion is the most important.....no wonder nothing is ever agreed on.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure