Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Shopping & Freebies > Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales > Selling Books on Green Metropolis Discussion (Mer... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Selling Books on Green Metropolis Discussion (Merged)
Closed Thread
Views: 25,609
# 1
sellingmysoul666
Old 01-05-2004, 6:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Selling Books on Green Metropolis Discussion (Merged)

Hi
I can recommed a great way to sell books & give money to charity

https://www.greenmetropolis.com/index2.asp

I have had 3 sales from them in the past month.

You get £3 per book and; if its heavy you can charge extra for postage

You list your book & you get an email when it has sold with the address to send it to

When they receive the book the money is credited to your account then you ask for it to be send via BACS to your bank account.

Its much less stressfull than EBAY

Have a look there are loads of books listed including new releases

Helen ;D

Last edited by sellingmysoul666; 04-06-2010 at 9:47 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sellingmysoul666 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
sal
Old 01-05-2004, 9:59 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Re: make money selling books & plant a tree

This looks like a great site. Being avid readers in this house and having a great mountain of books that are just so difficult to part with, the thought of making a bob or two and helping to save the planet in the process seems such a good idea.

Now I've gone and bought another book already! Oops!

Sal
# 3
sal
Old 28-10-2004, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

This is worth bringing up to the top of the 'tree' again

I've had loads of books from this site now, all delivered quickly and in great condition. So easy to use too.

I've now put a few books on of my own to test the water. Easy again. And everyone benefits.

If it works maybe I'll move on to bigger things on ebay soon.

sal
# 4
sellingmysoul666
Old 28-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi
Thanks for the bump.
I have now sold 20 books via this site.
I always check out amazon first if the lowest item for sale in the marketplace is less than £3 I just put it on here.
But green metropolis also advertise their books on amazon so you get the best of both sites.
I have not had any problems so far.
If its a heavy book it gives you the option of charging extra for postage - even better.
Go trees

Helen
# 5
Glad
Old 31-10-2004, 1:30 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

this is a nice site
havn't bought yet but I will be ;D
# 6
Yoga Girl
Old 03-11-2004, 11:54 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for bumping this post up or I would have missed it.

Have got 2 boxes of books that need a new home and this looks a good place to try my hand at this selling lark (ebay bit scary for me at mo!)
# 7
plotholder
Old 16-09-2005, 9:05 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Smile

i've just put loads of books on here so am bumping this up again.

can't wait to see how many sell - those that dont after a few months i'll do a car boot.

really easy site to use and it can even find books without isbn number

great!
The Following User Says Thank You to plotholder For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
katchambers
Old 17-03-2006, 10:35 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default money from recycling books - Green Metropolis (Merged)

Since I can't get a sellers account with amazon (don't even get me started on that!) I have looked into alternatives.

Abebooks seem like the best out of the bunch I found, apart from their high fees, so I was wondering if anyone has sold with them and whether it was any good, any advice?

Greenmetropolis pay £3 per book you sell so I think cheaper books and more popular books will be best with them, the books that you would only sell for 1 or 2 pounds anyway, plus they have no fees.

I will focus on abe for now and see if I can make a profit. I am going to some charity shops and the boot sale at the weekend, any advice for what books to look out for, what prices I should be paying etc?

If anyone knows any better bookselling places pls advise me, if not I will go with abebooks.

Thanks everyone
Kat x
# 9
soolin
Old 17-03-2006, 10:42 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I've had stuff listed on green metropolis for a few weeks but I've never sold anything, but i don't know if I'm just trying to sell the wrong things of course.

Soo
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
# 10
Hermia
Old 17-03-2006, 11:16 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I have given up with Green Metropolis. I listed loads of books with them over a six month period (all excellent condition, non-fiction & fiction, bestsellers & more obscure stuff) and not one thing sold. There seems to be more sellers than buyers. So, I ended up putting the books on Amazon. I think Abebooks is supposed to be good, but you'd need lots of books to sell to make the high fees worthwhile. You seem to get more businesses on Abebooks rather than private sellers.
# 11
apprentice tycoon
Old 17-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchambers
Since I can't get a sellers account with amazon (don't even get me started on that!) I have looked into alternatives.
You didn't get any help on the phone with amazon then? Can you try using a relatives details and you just sell and post them as a proxy
# 12
katchambers
Old 17-03-2006, 1:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I wish I could, but my mum doesn't have a bank account and my husbands mum is so risk aversive she would never let us put her details on the net, I have tried everything to sell on amazon - I also have no idea why I can't - my credit isn't bad etc...

Kat x
# 13
ayla261
Old 24-03-2006, 6:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default money from recycling books - Green Metropolis (Merged)

www.greenmetropolis.com

This site recycles peoples old books, it pays you £3.00 for every one you sell and it charges buyers only £3.75 per book (which makes it a great site to buy from too)
5p from every sale goes to (i think this is right charity) the woodland trust, who plant trees to replace those that were used to create your book.
Its very simple to load your unwanted books onto their system, you only have to enter ISBN number and check a box to state what condition the book is in
You will need to pay postage on the books you sell but ive found that normally costs around 50p, therefore still netting approx £2.50 per book
I earnt £14 in the first month or so from selling my old novels, since then i have come up with a better strategy...
I search ebay for job lot/collections of cheap books that are local to my area, collect and then register them on www.greenmetropolis.com
In two months I have made profit of £48
This time next year Rodney...
The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to ayla261 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
shammyjack
Old 24-03-2006, 6:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Talking

As an experianced eBayer and online seller PLEASE do tell how you can post a paperback book of low average weight say 200gms + packaging for 50p !

Or do you just stick a label and stamps on the book itself ?

shammy
The Following User Says Thank You to shammyjack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
ayla261
Old 24-03-2006, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've got rid of loads that are roughly 400 pages or so and i ask post office to send cheapest way (second class normally) never paid more than 67p, maybe i've been lucky I've posted on another forum too and they pointed out textbooks are dear to send, my advice is stick to paperbacks, although the site does offer you options for additional payment if books are heavier than normal (eg large paperback, hardback and others)
ps i usually send out in recylced envelopes too...normally the ones that come thru from O2 i have lots of those
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayla261 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
shammyjack
Old 24-03-2006, 7:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Wink

Average paperback weighs 60gms per 100 pages + binder so your 400 page book equates to 60 x 4 = 240 + say 50 gms binder so 290 gms total for the book, say 10 gms for a small bubble envelope so total 300 gms = 83p Second Class before the cost of the envelope !

shammy
The Following User Says Thank You to shammyjack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
ayla261
Old 24-03-2006, 7:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

okey dokey whatever you say, i thought id post so others could reap the benefits but now made to feel like liar, wont bother again

ps just checked my latest postage reciepts:
71p
47p
71p
67p
£1.12 (this package had two novels in)
74p

pps my last load of books was 6 boxes full bought from ebay for 99p, 12 have so far sold equalling £36 and allowing packaging priced 83p as you qouted (£9.96) still made profit of £26 and have around 200 books downstairs as yet unsold

Last edited by ayla261; 24-03-2006 at 7:46 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ayla261 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
tee pee
Old 24-03-2006, 7:46 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What A Great Idea
# 19
Chell
Old 24-03-2006, 7:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammyjack
Average paperback weighs 60gms per 100 pages + binder so your 400 page book equates to 60 x 4 = 240 + say 50 gms binder so 290 gms total for the book, say 10 gms for a small bubble envelope so total 300 gms = 83p Second Class before the cost of the envelope !

shammy
The site is about sharing/recycling books. If you reuse a jiffy bag from a freebie you have received then all it costs to pack is a bit of sticky tape.

The books are listed till they sell or till you remove them, the only fee is the 75p if they sell. If they don't sell it costs you nothing.

The minimum you can list something on ebay for is 10days, this costs you 15p even if it doesn't sell. If it does sell you have your FVF and possibly paypal fees.

Some books are better on eBay but most are better on Green Metropolis IMO.

On eBay you need to photograph your book and add a description, no need to do this on Green Metropolis, just enter the ISBN and the site does the rest.
Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chell For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
shammyjack
Old 24-03-2006, 7:53 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Wink

Not calling anyone a liar but having been around here a little longer than you I know that members appreciate accurate information .

True postal costs are relevant to your post and I am not trying to demene it , I know it was made in good faith .

If you are posting books in an ordinary envelope with no packing or stiffeners then you will eventually get complaints . If selling on eBay with the postal methods you employ every feedback would be a negative !

shammy
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shammyjack For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread