Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • sal
    • 1st May 04, 9:59 PM
    Re: make money selling books & plant a tree
    • 1st May 04, 9:59 PM
    This looks like a great site. Being avid readers in this house and having a great mountain of books that are just so difficult to part with, the thought of making a bob or two and helping to save the planet in the process seems such a good idea.

Now I've gone and bought another book already! Oops!

Sal
  • sal
    • 28th Oct 04, 1:35 PM
    • 28th Oct 04, 1:35 PM
    This is worth bringing up to the top of the 'tree' again

I've had loads of books from this site now, all delivered quickly and in great condition. So easy to use too.

I've now put a few books on of my own to test the water. Easy again. And everyone benefits.

If it works maybe I'll move on to bigger things on ebay soon.

sal
  • sellingmysoul666
    • 28th Oct 04, 11:04 PM
    • 28th Oct 04, 11:04 PM
    Hi
    Thanks for the bump.
    I have now sold 20 books via this site.
    I always check out amazon first if the lowest item for sale in the marketplace is less than £3 I just put it on here.
    But green metropolis also advertise their books on amazon so you get the best of both sites.
    I have not had any problems so far.
    If its a heavy book it gives you the option of charging extra for postage - even better.
    Go trees

Helen
    • Glad
    • By Glad 31st Oct 04, 1:30 PM
    • 17,670 Posts
    • 37,810 Thanks
    Glad
    • 31st Oct 04, 1:30 PM
    • 31st Oct 04, 1:30 PM
    this is a nice site
    havn't bought yet but I will be ;D
  • Yoga Girl
    • 3rd Nov 04, 11:54 PM
    • 3rd Nov 04, 11:54 PM
    Thanks for bumping this post up or I would have missed it.

Have got 2 boxes of books that need a new home and this looks a good place to try my hand at this selling lark (ebay bit scary for me at mo!)
  • plotholder
    • 16th Sep 05, 9:05 AM
    • 16th Sep 05, 9:05 AM
    i've just put loads of books on here so am bumping this up again.

can't wait to see how many sell - those that dont after a few months i'll do a car boot.

really easy site to use and it can even find books without isbn number

great!
    • katchambers
    • By katchambers 17th Mar 06, 10:35 AM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    katchambers
    • 17th Mar 06, 10:35 AM
    money from recycling books - Green Metropolis (Merged)
    • 17th Mar 06, 10:35 AM
    Since I can't get a sellers account with amazon (don't even get me started on that!) I have looked into alternatives.

Abebooks seem like the best out of the bunch I found, apart from their high fees, so I was wondering if anyone has sold with them and whether it was any good, any advice?

Greenmetropolis pay £3 per book you sell so I think cheaper books and more popular books will be best with them, the books that you would only sell for 1 or 2 pounds anyway, plus they have no fees.

I will focus on abe for now and see if I can make a profit. I am going to some charity shops and the boot sale at the weekend, any advice for what books to look out for, what prices I should be paying etc?

If anyone knows any better bookselling places pls advise me, if not I will go with abebooks.

Thanks everyone
    Kat x
    • soolin
    • By soolin 17th Mar 06, 10:42 AM
    • 57,295 Posts
    • 40,480 Thanks
    soolin
    • 17th Mar 06, 10:42 AM
    • 17th Mar 06, 10:42 AM
    I've had stuff listed on green metropolis for a few weeks but I've never sold anything, but i don't know if I'm just trying to sell the wrong things of course.

Soo
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 17th Mar 06, 11:16 AM
    • 3,730 Posts
    • 9,345 Thanks
    Hermia
    I have given up with Green Metropolis. I listed loads of books with them over a six month period (all excellent condition, non-fiction & fiction, bestsellers & more obscure stuff) and not one thing sold. There seems to be more sellers than buyers. So, I ended up putting the books on Amazon. I think Abebooks is supposed to be good, but you'd need lots of books to sell to make the high fees worthwhile. You seem to get more businesses on Abebooks rather than private sellers.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 17th Mar 06, 11:33 AM
    • 3,285 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Since I can't get a sellers account with amazon (don't even get me started on that!) I have looked into alternatives.
    by katchambers
    You didn't get any help on the phone with amazon then? Can you try using a relatives details and you just sell and post them as a proxy
    • katchambers
    • By katchambers 17th Mar 06, 1:35 PM
    • 1,124 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    katchambers
    I wish I could, but my mum doesn't have a bank account and my husbands mum is so risk aversive she would never let us put her details on the net, I have tried everything to sell on amazon - I also have no idea why I can't - my credit isn't bad etc...

Kat x
    • ayla261
    • By ayla261 24th Mar 06, 6:45 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    ayla261
    money from recycling books - Green Metropolis (Merged)
    www.greenmetropolis.com

This site recycles peoples old books, it pays you £3.00 for every one you sell and it charges buyers only £3.75 per book (which makes it a great site to buy from too)
    5p from every sale goes to (i think this is right charity) the woodland trust, who plant trees to replace those that were used to create your book.
    Its very simple to load your unwanted books onto their system, you only have to enter ISBN number and check a box to state what condition the book is in
    You will need to pay postage on the books you sell but ive found that normally costs around 50p, therefore still netting approx £2.50 per book
    I earnt £14 in the first month or so from selling my old novels, since then i have come up with a better strategy...
    I search ebay for job lot/collections of cheap books that are local to my area, collect and then register them on www.greenmetropolis.com
    In two months I have made profit of £48
    This time next year Rodney...
  • shammyjack
    As an experianced eBayer and online seller PLEASE do tell how you can post a paperback book of low average weight say 200gms + packaging for 50p !

Or do you just stick a label and stamps on the book itself ?

shammy
    • ayla261
    • By ayla261 24th Mar 06, 7:01 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    ayla261
    I've got rid of loads that are roughly 400 pages or so and i ask post office to send cheapest way (second class normally) never paid more than 67p, maybe i've been lucky I've posted on another forum too and they pointed out textbooks are dear to send, my advice is stick to paperbacks, although the site does offer you options for additional payment if books are heavier than normal (eg large paperback, hardback and others)
    ps i usually send out in recylced envelopes too...normally the ones that come thru from O2 i have lots of those
  • shammyjack
    Average paperback weighs 60gms per 100 pages + binder so your 400 page book equates to 60 x 4 = 240 + say 50 gms binder so 290 gms total for the book, say 10 gms for a small bubble envelope so total 300 gms = 83p Second Class before the cost of the envelope !

shammy
    • ayla261
    • By ayla261 24th Mar 06, 7:39 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 408 Thanks
    ayla261
    okey dokey whatever you say, i thought id post so others could reap the benefits but now made to feel like liar, wont bother again

ps just checked my latest postage reciepts:
    71p
    47p
    71p
    67p
    £1.12 (this package had two novels in)
    74p

pps my last load of books was 6 boxes full bought from ebay for 99p, 12 have so far sold equalling £36 and allowing packaging priced 83p as you qouted (£9.96) still made profit of £26 and have around 200 books downstairs as yet unsold
    Last edited by ayla261; 24-03-2006 at 7:46 PM.
  • tee pee
    What A Great Idea
    • Chell
    • By Chell 24th Mar 06, 7:47 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    Average paperback weighs 60gms per 100 pages + binder so your 400 page book equates to 60 x 4 = 240 + say 50 gms binder so 290 gms total for the book, say 10 gms for a small bubble envelope so total 300 gms = 83p Second Class before the cost of the envelope !

shammy
    by shammyjack
    The site is about sharing/recycling books. If you reuse a jiffy bag from a freebie you have received then all it costs to pack is a bit of sticky tape.

The books are listed till they sell or till you remove them, the only fee is the 75p if they sell. If they don't sell it costs you nothing.

The minimum you can list something on ebay for is 10days, this costs you 15p even if it doesn't sell. If it does sell you have your FVF and possibly paypal fees.

Some books are better on eBay but most are better on Green Metropolis IMO.

On eBay you need to photograph your book and add a description, no need to do this on Green Metropolis, just enter the ISBN and the site does the rest.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
  • shammyjack
    Not calling anyone a liar but having been around here a little longer than you I know that members appreciate accurate information .

True postal costs are relevant to your post and I am not trying to demene it , I know it was made in good faith .

If you are posting books in an ordinary envelope with no packing or stiffeners then you will eventually get complaints . If selling on eBay with the postal methods you employ every feedback would be a negative !

shammy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,341Users online

Martin's Twitter