Cheapest way to stay at Holiday Inns - save up to 50%

Options
Obukit
Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
edited 22 September 2009 at 10:15AM in Overseas holidays & travel planning
Hi,

Just a quick note about how to book Holiday Inn hotels (this includes Intercontinentals, Crowne Plazas, Hotel Indigos and Express by Holiday Inns). If you just get a quote from IHG's website, it will not be the cheapest because they are always running special deals. All these rates have limited availability and some hotels may not run them at all - if not, the website will suggest nearby hotels or other available rates.

Unless you are 100% certain you will make the booking do not book these rates, as they are non-refundable. However, if you do make a booking and can't make it, most hotels will let you move it to another date subject to paying the difference in price, but this is at the hotel's discretion. Apart from Friends and Family, which will work worldwide, the rest of these rates will only work in Europe, the Middle East and Africa. If you're travelling further afield and Friends and Family isn't coming up trumps, Flyertalk have a really good list of loads of IHG rate codes to browse through.
Cheapest for multiple nights: TWO FOR ONE (book before 12th February 2010)
This rate does what it says on the tin, e.g. if a hotel is normally £60 a night, you pay £30 per night. If you are staying for a long period, make multiple reservations, let the receptionist know and they can keep you in the same room throughout.

Please note the rate applied will be the rate on your first night, so if you can try and start your stay on the cheapest night (normally Sunday and Friday) and get a more expensive night cheaply! You don't get Priority Club points with this rate.
Friends and family rate - FRIENDS AND FAMILY RATE (IHG endorsed link) (book before 30th September)
(N.B. Search on Google for an alternative link if you have problems with the one above.)
This rate is open to Friends and Family of IHG employees - the link above was sent to IHG by a senior manager so is okay to use.

You need to print out a voucher and fill in the employees name as "Anthony Bainbridge", along with details of your reservation from your confirmation email. Update 6th June: - It's really important you take this with you to the hotel or else in theory you could be charged full rate, or lose your deposit. Please don't forget - it's worth at least saving the voucher when you make your booking!

This link typically gives about 40% off normal rates, although people have reported up to 50%+, so always check this route! Please note you don't get Priority Club points for these reservations, which means you won't receive any qualifying nights towards promotions such as "Stay twice, get a free night" (above).
Next cheapest for weekend stays, plus qualifies for Priority Club promotion: LEISURE SAVER (book before ??? - ongoing offer)
This offer typically saves about a third off normal room rates. You DO get Priority Club points with this rate. This rate typically has pretty good availability so if you're trying to book at a hotel and it says 2for1 and Friends and Family aren't available, you can try this one. It's also good if you're paying for the room on expenses so want a cheap rate but also still want to collect loyalty points.
Next cheapest: EXCLUSIVE RATE (book before 21st December)
New rate so I'm not quite sure of that sort of discount you'll get - but they say 35% weekends and 25% during the week. Could be useful for busier hotels that don't normally have promo rates as they may not have cottoned on and blocked it off yet!
Finally - turn up and bargain!
You'll need to speak to the Front Desk Manager, or call and speak to reservations, but if it's quiet they do have the ability to negotiate on price - expect to save up to 20% on rack rates or get breakfast and/or dinner thrown in. To do this well, come when the reception is quiet (avoid 5.30-7.30pm midweek, or Saturday afternoons), and be polite but confident. Be aware that you will only get a discount if there's plenty of rooms available, so if they won't budge, you might be stuck. Finally, night staff seldom have the ability to bargain, so arrive before 10.30pm, and Central Reservations can't negotiate, so always call the hotel directly.

I hope that helps a few people booking hotel rooms - it would be good to hear from employees of similar hotels (Travelodge, Premier Inn, Ibis etc.) on how best to book their hotels :).

Comments

• Edale
    Edale Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just booked for May at Edinburgh (visiting the zoo) cost £72 instead of £106.
    Thanks very much!!
  • Obukit
    Obukit Posts: 670 Forumite
    Options
    No problem at all - hope you enjoy your stay :).
  • blindman
    blindman Posts: 5,659 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The TWO for one is only for stays up to 31st March
    applicable for bookings and stays made from 12th December 2008 up to 31st March 2009.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    blindman wrote: »

Works for other date if you try, I have checked some for April.

I have alos done 3 stays in Dec on the 2-4-1 rate and seemed to have got some priority points from somewhere.

definatley worth signing up you get express checkin.
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    They say you get express checkin but in my experience there is only ever 1 check in queue so doesn't work.
    travelover
  • littlereddevil
    littlereddevil Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    Options
    I just got 2 nights in Glasgow centre for £95.
    Cheers for this it is an executive room too,
    travelover
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    They say you get express checkin but in my experience there is only ever 1 check in queue so doesn't work.

No form filling at checkin
  • barriejohn69
    barriejohn69 Posts: 887 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    blindman wrote: »

I've booked 2 nights in may no problem
    I would like to thank everyone who contributed to the Ramada/Days Inn BRG thread.
  • kizziedog
    kizziedog Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Obukit,

Thanks for this post - looks good.

But....I want to park my car, so is there a way of getting an inclusive deal - one night hotel + 15 days car parking at Heathrow? I've tried going though the friends & family reservation but can't see any car parking anywhere.

Thanks
  • danz0l
    danz0l Posts: 343 Forumite
    Options
    hi Obukit and thanks for these great offers. Is there any way to book meals as part of these deals as no options are offered when you go through these links
    A male chef of 4. My restaurant is always full and i don't need to tout for business.
    OK OK
    I'm a house husband but it did sound better my way :beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family