Orchid V4, V4+ Programing Tool Support

Options

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    You could try clearing your dialler and manually entering one carrier (eg 1899) and one routing (eg mobiles).

Then try a call to your mobile and see if it goes via 1899. If it does the dialler isn't broke!
  • Heinz
    Heinz Posts: 11,191 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Quentin wrote: »
    You could try clearing your dialler and manually entering one carrier (eg 1899) and one routing (eg mobiles).

Then try a call to your mobile and see if it goes via 1899. If it does the dialler isn't broke!
    To clear the entire Carrier Code table enter the following code:
    ** # 0000 * 2222 * 6 and
    To clear the Routing Code table enter the following code:
    ** # 0000 * 1111 * 6
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • johnniegif
    johnniegif Posts: 127 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 30 October 2010 at 11:58PM
    Options
    Just bumping this query up :)

I have had a number of problems when programming the Orchid dialler with Kevin's wonderful spreadsheet. It had me tearing my hair out as some lines would get programmed and others not. I adjusted the setting in the spreadsheet for "Post Pause Dial" in the Config tab. This sometimes helped as the modem was trying to program the Orchid quicker than it could receive them! But I later found that my main problem was that my modem/other people's modems were not 100% compatible with the spreadsheet/Orchid. I am using an ancient USB modem which works with Win 98, Me, 2000 & XP but nothing later than that. All my computers use Windows 7 except for my Netbook, which I regularly use to update the Orchid's for family and friends.

As mentioned above. You can reset the dialler - using the programming strings in the spreadsheet - but typing them into your telephone by hand. As suggested, keep the programming simple initially to test things are working. If they do, either find a compatible modem or enter all programming strings by hand.

Another thought, if the person you are calling picks the 'phone up straight away, 18185 doesn't get chance to say "0 pence per minute" So that might explain why there was no annnouncement. After programming 18185 for mobile numbers, test your routing by dialling your mobile, don't answer and wait to hear if it says 6p or 7p a minute.

Finally, just as a sanity check, login to your 18185 account and make sure you have the announcement for '0p per minute etc." set!

Good luck.
  • the_devil_made_me_do_it
    Options
    Have tried updating the clock & all other essential codes. I also programmed in my house phone to route mobile calls via 18185. Unfortunatly, when I telephoned my mobile using the landline, no tariff message.

I have checked my 18185 account & the hear tariff message box is defo ticked.

Only other thing I can think of is either the dialler isn't compatible with my relatively new o2 broadband or I have wired everything in wrong somehow.

Any thoughts?
  • Heinz
    Options
    The ADSL filter should be the first thing plugged into the telephone wall socket.

The Orchid is then plugged into the UK telephone socket on the ADSL filter (the broadband modem or router is obviously plugged into the other socket therein).

Your telephone is then plugged into one* of the sockets on the Orchid V4.

* Use the other socket for your modem if programming the V4 in that way.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    Options
    I pulled the fone into the other spare socket on the dialler & proceeded to manually create a table.

Seems it's working! I have mobiles routed to 18185 & I got the 7p per minute message. Will try again tomorrow.

• Heinz
    Options
    Sorry, forgot the usual reminder this morning.

Update the clock in your Orchids to take account of the BST to GMT change.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=1830574&postcount=2
  • RiTSo
    RiTSo Posts: 62 Forumite
    Options
    Heinz,

Thanks for the details in answer to my questions, very helpful as usual! I've just picked up a USB modem so have reprogrammed using the latest time/carriers/routings, hopefully this should sort it out!

Whilst in the spreadsheet I noticed that in advanced options there are settings to clear the tables, I think this may have been what I was asking in one of my questions above. I'd rather wipe them altogether and then start afresh if I update.

To program your mobile on the 'Rule 33' do you need to enter values in both tables or just one of them? I'm thinking you program it so that if a randmom number is dialled, let's say 888 for instance, then this is translated into your own mobile number? Is this the case?

Also, does your dialler have a power supply? It's been a while since I set mine up but it doesn't have one at present.

Thanks again.
    Options
    I pulled the fone into the other spare socket on the dialler & proceeded to manually create a table.

Seems it's working! I have mobiles routed to 18185 & I got the 7p per minute message. Will try again tomorrow.

Still got dialler problems. I'm only hearing a tariff message when I call mobiles. For some reason the dialler isn't programming all the codes.

Am now considering going with BT anytime, as I can't afford a huge phonebill.
  • Heinz
    Options
    RiTSo wrote: »
    Whilst in the spreadsheet I noticed that in advanced options there are settings to clear the tables, I think this may have been what I was asking in one of my questions above. I'd rather wipe them altogether and then start afresh if I update.

To program your mobile on the 'Rule 33' do you need to enter values in both tables or just one of them? I'm thinking you program it so that if a randmom number is dialled, let's say 888 for instance, then this is translated into your own mobile number? Is this the case?

Also, does your dialler have a power supply? It's been a while since I set mine up but it doesn't have one at present.
    Yes, I cleared all Carrier and Routing codes when I started (see post 453 above).

My 'Rule 33' requires my mobile number to be added as a new Carrier and a Routing Rule to be added telling the V4 to Translate the dialling of 88 into that Carrier.

My own V4 is a V4+ and I do have the power supply connected but my relative's, which I also program, is a standard V4. It should not make any difference though (Caller Display works on both of them).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure