Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > NTL How to get 1.5mb service for 750kb price (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
NTL How to get 1.5mb service for 750kb price
Views: 13,908
# 1
Tony H
Old 23-11-2004, 2:09 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default NTL How to get 1.5mb service for 750kb price

You have recently signed upto NTL 750kbps service after leaving an ADSL provider eg BT, BT Yahoo or Wanadoo.

You have seen Press, TV & Web advertisments for NTL 750kbps service stating it is Faster & Better than BT based ADSL, with NTL claiming to be the Number 1 Broadband ISP.

You frequently upload large files to websites, digital pictures for processing or send large e-mail attachments.

Then read on......

Today I telephoned NTL and told them that I had run speed tests on my internet connection using www.adslguide.org.uk and it generated results of approximately 704/115. I informed them that I was suprised at the second figure of 115 as this was 256kbps when I was with Freeserve / Wanadoo. Explaining that at no time was I informed that the upload speed would actually be 50% less than ADSL. Had I known this I would never have subscribed to NTL as uploading is an important part of my internet use "Winks' @ Martin ".

I suggested that they had two options open to them, the first was that my subscription be terminated with immediate effect under the premise that it had been falsely advertised or that they increase my upload limit to 256kbps inline with BT based ADSL.

NTL have 3 fixed services they are 300/64, 750/128 & 1500/256 they are no providing me with an upload speed of 256kbps which is the 1.5mb service for the price of the 750kbps @ 24.99 / Month.

I'm not sure how long people will be able to benefit from this advise, but their website still says the 750kbps service is Faster, Better & Cheaper than BT, this is obviously a lie as part of the service is actually 50% slower.

I hope you find this information useful.

Regards
Tony
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Labasheedy
Old 23-11-2004, 2:58 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Re: NTL How to get 1.5mb service for 750kb price

Thanks Tony. However I remain confused about the two parts of information you get when you run one of these tests.
for instance my results:
Downstream 857 Kbps (107.1 KB/sec)
I am paying for a 1mb line from BT and I understand the second figure there relates to my actual download speed. But you imply in your post that the second figure is variable depending on ISP.
I can't find any reference on BT's broadband site to actually download speed other than it is a 1mb connection.
How are the two figures related?

thanks
# 3
Tony H
Old 23-11-2004, 2:59 PM

When I returned to the PC this morning I found that the upgrade hadn't taken place....... >

Spent 15 minutes speaking with head office outling my complaint re being mis-sold and informing that my service was due to be upgraded FOC to allow for 256kbps uploads. I squeezed 2 months free giving me an actual price of 20.83 / month for 1.5mb / 256kbps service. ;D

Crikey 1.5mb is swift!! :
# 4
Labasheedy
Old 23-11-2004, 4:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Can you tell me where I can find a guaranteed speed of 256kb/sec? I cannot find this information on any broadband site.
# 5
Tony H
Old 23-11-2004, 4:29 PM

The speeds are variable, but you should expect to be within a certain range of this speed.

I have looked at the BT website but have failed to find any reference to the upload speed. Freeserve / Wanadoo specified this as 256kbps. Obviously these figures are variable.
# 6
Lopo
Old 23-11-2004, 9:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Tony,

You should be able to pull of 18.99 per month for the 1.5mb service for a year with the right conversation and tact.

I only also have the NTL phone line service in addition to the BB which is very much a factor.....I cancelled the cable TV in favour of sky+.

Interestingly, if you then call up a few days later and have a little clever tactical whinge about the phone service, you can get that knocked down too.

And for the icing on the cake...I have the company I work for paying me back the cost of the BB fee for remote working at home!!

Heheheee...!
# 7
Reyes
Old 24-11-2004, 12:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I rang them up and they said all they could offer me was a 3 month half price trial (from 37.99) at 18.99 . I am currently on 700 kbps speed. They were "NOT offering any other deals at all" they said !

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
# 8
Lopo
Old 24-11-2004, 1:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

These links should aid you in your quest....

>> here and >> here !!

I can imagine though that the service loyalty/pricing strategy may have changed within the NTL ranks with the impending speed upgrades taking place in the new year hence the 3 month offering may be the best you can currently get....dont ever settle for the first few offers as I found out and then tried again a few days later on the phone side of things!

By the way, when I wanted to cancel the cable tv, they actually offered it to me totally free for the year and relocate to another room oddly enough - but I let it go as I really just did not need it with the switch to sky+. I suppose they have nothing to lose seeing as the infrastructure is in place and there is always the off-chance you may want an extra channel or movie or interactive service while you have it.

I never tried cancelling all the services together, as its too obvious your on the scrounge...!!

Good Luck...!

[glow=purple,2,400]Lopo... ![/glow][glow=red,2,400]Lopo... ![/glow][glow=orange,2,400]Lopo... ![/glow]
# 9
Tony H
Old 24-11-2004, 1:52 AM

It's all good advice Lopo, and I will certainly refer back to it in a years time.

The advice I offer gives leverage to new customers only, I've been with them for 3 months. Using the 50% less upload capacity has given scope for marked improvement in value for money for the next 12 months anyhow.
# 10
Reyes
Old 24-11-2004, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Many thanks LOPO and all .

I will give that a try and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks.
# 11
Lopo
Old 24-11-2004, 11:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hmmm....missing the point a little Tony.

Even if your a new customer for the Broadband...if you have other services from NTL...why pay full whack for it all !?

Saving shouldnt stop just because your new to the Broadband service......keep the pressure on for more!

Call up and indicate compared other services to them.....best to duck under now with their promised retainer (here you go for a year!) prices before the prices do go up in the new year....then when it does and you reach the end of your fixed promise price...then its haggle time....win - win! I have until August roughly before I consider paying more than 18.99 since it what they promised me.....

Duck in their now!! haggle damn it!
# 12
Tony H
Old 24-11-2004, 11:45 PM

We got our services @ different times, and I have tried with TV & Telephone and am simply told "Tough, you signed a 12 month contract"......

That's why this advertising mistake was a blessing in disguise for me!!
# 13
Tony H
Old 25-11-2004, 3:42 PM

Sooooo have any of you folks secured a free upgrade yet?
# 14
Reyes
Old 25-11-2004, 5:18 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Well, yes I have managed to get onto the 1.5m (from 600/700k) for 18.99 (from 24.99) today but.. only for six months - they said that's as far as they could go.

So yes I am pleased about that.

More than doubled the speed for six pounds less !!!

Taa,one an' all.
# 15
Tony H
Old 25-11-2004, 5:39 PM

Have you had a contract for less than 12 month's or are you an NTL veteran?
# 16
sibbers
Old 25-11-2004, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I did also post about a week ago....
I managed to get the 750k service down to 12.49 a month for the next 6 months. They also told me to call back then if I was still unhappy and I could renegotiate.
The department I dealt with was called the "retention" department. I was passed through after saying that I was considering cancelling the service.
Broadband is now so competitive it is definitely worth negotiating....what have you got to lose?
# 17
Reyes
Old 26-11-2004, 9:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Tony H,

I have been with them for 18 months now....

# 18
dfarry
Old 26-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

You think that is good... well think again ;D

I have been through this special offer/discount thing with NTL and am very happy with the outcome...

There's quite a long thread about it on the NTL forum - http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/sh...ad.php?t=18068

and is worth checking out if you want to screw some extra speed out of NTL and no pay any more for the priviledge...

Also are you guys aware of the new year speed increases and caps?
# 19
Figment
Old 26-11-2004, 11:15 AM

I'm an NTL veteran (been with them 6 years, had broadband for most of them). Currently on the 750K package, with telephone and base analogue TV.

As of 08:59 this morning I was paying 24.99/month for broadband and 13.99/month for telephone and Tv.

After calling Customer Relations with the 'intention of moving my broadband to ADSL to save some money', from 09:01 this morning I am paying 19.99/month for broadband and the telephone/TV discounted by 10.49/month for 12 months.

No new contract, no additional commitment and a saving of 185.88 over the next 12 months

# 20
parent
Old 26-11-2004, 12:37 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

On the phone to ntl at the moment although its taking ages to get through. ;D