Options

Comments

• Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 5 September 2017 at 11:14PM
    Options
    Hi Araeho,

Am I right with the following summary of events?

The aircraft that should have been operating your flight was en route from Munich to Manchester when they had to off load a passenger, presumably while still at Munich.

The aircraft arrived into Manchester 1h 16m late.

The flight crew could not then operate the flight out to Tenerife South where you were waiting to depart back to Manchester?

You were delayed overnight in TFS?

If the above is correct then I would say that the delay was caused by EJ operational decisions, which do not constitute an EC. Your thoughts are along the right lines.

What EJ have to prove to CEDR is how 'what happened' to delay you could be considered as an EC. They will fail on this point.

I believe they would also fail for the reason that, additionally, they could not prove that this delay or cancellation could not have been avoided although they took all reasonable measures. Particularly as EJ would have know about the impending delay when the aircraft was still in Munich, giving them a heads up at 14.47 (13.47 UK time?). Also, as Manchester is a major base they should have sufficient standby crew available as a contingency for this type of delay. Obviously they didn't, so another EJ operational decision.

One final point, EJ were running this flight too close to the deadline, with very little operational leeway if/when a very short delay, such as this, was to occur. A delay of only 1h 16m should not result in 2 flights being delayed overnight. It was all within EJ's control, they just dealt with it very poorly.

I would continue on the CEDR route as MCOL is always your backup.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • araeho
    araeho Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Tyzap,

Thanks very much for the reply much appreciated and glad I'm on the right lines. I totally agree with you that it's got to be down to Operational Decision making rather than anything extraordinary and that will be the focus of my response.

I agree that it wouldn't be reasonable for an airline to know when a passenger would need to be off-loaded but as part of normal operations they should expect some offloads for a variety of reasons, not just fear of flying and plan their schedules accordingly.

I cant believe a court would uphold a 1 hour delay as being extraordinary. If they do then it's a bad show for the industry.

I'm going to try and source some evidence of judgements where courts have said that airlines must build in sufficient time for such delays which although cant be predicted on a flight by flight basis, can be predicted (and expected) in the normal running of an airline service.

Will keep you all posted with further developments.

Thanks again.

Andrew.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    araeho wrote: »
    Hi Tyzap,

I'm going to try and source some evidence of judgements where courts have said that airlines must build in sufficient time for such delays which although cant be predicted on a flight by flight basis, can be predicted (and expected) in the normal running of an airline service.

Thanks again.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

This is from the Better Enforcement document, which is a COMMISSION NOTICE
    Interpretative Guidelines on Regulation (EC) No 261/2004

e. Reasonable measures an air carrier can be expected to take in extraordinary circumstances

Whenever extraordinary circumstances arise an air carrier must, in order to be released from the obligation to pay compensation, show that it could not avoid them even if it had taken all reasonable measures to this effect.
    Furthermore, the Court52 has found that under Article 5(3) of the Regulation, an air carrier can be required to organise its resources in good time so that it is possible to operate a programmed flight once the extraordinary circumstances have ceased, that is to say, during a certain period following the scheduled departure time. In particular, the air carrier should provide for a certain reserve time to allow it, if possible, to operate the flight in its entirety once the extraordinary circumstances have come to an end. Such reserve time is assessed on a case-by-case basis.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    Options
    araeho wrote: »
    Hi Tyzap,

Thanks very much for the reply much appreciated and glad I'm on the right lines. I totally agree with you that it's got to be down to Operational Decision making rather than anything extraordinary and that will be the focus of my response.

I agree that it wouldn't be reasonable for an airline to know when a passenger would need to be off-loaded but as part of normal operations they should expect some offloads for a variety of reasons, not just fear of flying and plan their schedules accordingly.

I cant believe a court would uphold a 1 hour delay as being extraordinary. If they do then it's a bad show for the industry.

Thanks again.

Andrew.

The judgement you're looking for is Eglitis v Air Baltic:

https://rescommunis.wordpress.com/2011/07/12/the-european-court-of-justice-issues-decision-today-on-extraordinary-circumstances-for-airline-delays/
  • DrLisa
    Options
    Hi All, I was due to take a flight from Bristol to Edinburgh at 07:10 departure to arrive at 8:20. The flight departed at 12:40 but because it was so delayed I had missed the start time of meeting I was going to Edinburgh for, thus made the decision not to board. I left the airport just as the gate opened for boarding (~12pm) having been there since 6am. Easyjet provided a £6 refreshment voucher while at the airport.

I submitted a claim for compensation to Easyjet as I believe I'm entitled to €250 because the flight was delayed over 3h. I have received an email from Easyjet refusing compensation because I was not on the flight when it finally departed. Because it's over 5h delayed, my understanding is that I'm entitled to €250 compensation, a refund on the flight (outbound and return) and associated costs (parking, car hire etc).

Does anyone know if this is the case or am I incorrect? Many thanks!
  • Tyzap
    edited 8 September 2017 at 11:22PM
    Options
    DrLisa wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this is the case or am I incorrect? Many thanks!

Hi DrLisa,

Your diagnosis is correct, as you can see from the following extracts from the EC261 regulation.

Had EJ followed the regulations correctly they would have issued each passenger with a written explanation of the regs and the option on offer at that time. They don't usually like to make things too obvious tho!

CEDR may be your best route if they prove to be intransigent.

I believe that these are the relevant regs applying to your situation...

Article 6
    Delay
    1. When an operating air carrier reasonably expects a flight to be delayed beyond its scheduled time of departure:
    (a) for two hours or more in the case of flights of 1 500 kilo- metres or less; or
    (b) for three hours or more in the case of all intra-Community flights of more than 1 500 kilometres and of all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometres; or
    (c) for four hours or more in the case of all flights not falling under (a) or (b),
    passengers shall be offered by the operating air carrier:
    (i) the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(a) and 9(2); and
    (ii) when the reasonably expected time of departure is at least the day after the time of departure previously announced, the assistance specified in Article 9(1)(b) and 9(1)(c); and
    (iii) when the delay is at least five hours, the assistance speci- fied in Article 8(1)(a).

Article 8
    Right to reimbursement or re-routing
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall be offered the choice between:
    (a) — reimbursement within seven days, by the means provided for in Article 7(3), of the full cost of the ticket at the price at which it was bought, for the part or parts of the journey not made, and for the part or parts already made if the flight is no longer serving any purpose in relation to the passenger's original travel plan, together with, when relevant,
    — a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;

Article 7
    Right to compensation
    1. Where reference is made to this Article, passengers shall receive compensation amounting to:
    (a) EUR 250 for all flights of 1 500 kilometres or less;
    (b) EUR 400 for all intra-Community flights of more than 1 500 kilometres, and for all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometres;
    (c) EUR 600 for all flights not falling under (a) or (b).
    In determining the distance, the basis shall be the last destina- tion at which the denial of boarding or cancellation will delay the passenger's arrival after the scheduled time.
    2. When passengers are offered re-routing to their final destination on an alternative flight pursuant to Article 8, the arrival time of which does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked
    (a) by two hours, in respect of all flights of 1 500 kilometres or less; or
    (b) by three hours, in respect of all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres and for all other flights between 1 500 and 3 500 kilometres; or
    (c) by four hours, in respect of all flights not falling under (a) or (b),
    the operating air carrier may reduce the compensation provided for in paragraph 1 by 50 %.
    3. The compensation referred to in paragraph 1 shall be paid in cash, by electronic bank transfer, bank orders or bank cheques or, with the signed agreement of the passenger, in travel vouchers and/or other services.

Good luck.
  • Vauban
    Options
    I'm not sure that there's anything in the Regulation that offers clarity on this point (i.e. if your flight is delayed, but you choose not to take it, whether you're entitled to compensation - beyond a refund (after 5 hours) and expenses).

I think that the OP is NOT entitled, however unfair this sounds. This is because of the wording of the Sturgeon judgement, which established that delays could be treated the same as cancellations under the Regs. However, Sturgeon gives the following criteria for a qualifying delay:

"... passengers whose flights are delayed may be treated, for the purposes of the application of the right to compensation, as passengers whose flights are cancelled and they may thus rely on the right to compensation laid down in Article 7 of the regulation where they suffer, on account of a flight delay, a loss of time equal to or in excess of three hours, that is, where they reach their final destination three hours or more after the arrival time originally scheduled by the air carrier."

In other words, if the passenger doesn't arrive at the destination on the delayed flight, then they don't get the protection of Article VIII.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Vauban wrote: »
    I'm not sure that there's anything in the Regulation that offers clarity on this point (i.e. if your flight is delayed, but you choose not to take it, whether you're entitled to compensation - beyond a refund (after 5 hours) and expenses).

I think that the OP is NOT entitled, however unfair this sounds. This is because of the wording of the Sturgeon judgement, which established that delays could be treated the same as cancellations under the Regs. However, Sturgeon gives the following criteria for a qualifying delay:

"... passengers whose flights are delayed may be treated, for the purposes of the application of the right to compensation, as passengers whose flights are cancelled and they may thus rely on the right to compensation laid down in Article 7 of the regulation where they suffer, on account of a flight delay, a loss of time equal to or in excess of three hours, that is, where they reach their final destination three hours or more after the arrival time originally scheduled by the air carrier."

In other words, if the passenger doesn't arrive at the destination on the delayed flight, then they don't get the protection of Article VIII.

It won't be the first or last time that these regs have caused confusion due to their poor wording and lack of clarity. Although in many instances this can be attributed to the fact that an example of each and every situation would be impossible to list.

I'm of the opinion that the op is due compensation for the following reasons.

Under article 3 Scope, it is stipulated that for the passenger to be in scope they must...

(a) have a confirmed reservation on the flight concerned and, except in the case of cancellation referred to in Article 5, present themselves for check-in,

It does not specify the need to have flown, which would surely otherwise be a stated prerequisite to qualify.

Under article 6 Delay, it states
    (iii) when the delay is at least five hours, the assistance specified in Article 8(1)(a).

8(1)(a) includes the following wording...

together with, when relevant,
    — a return flight to the first point of departure, at the earliest opportunity;

That wording would not be required if, as you suggest, a flight would have be taken to qualify for compensation.

It would be against the spirit of the regs to allow a passenger to be delayed at departure for over 5 hours and not receive compensation when the trip is no longer required.

Without any specific case law to guide us that I know of, this is a difficult question.

I may be 'splitting hairs' here so I would suggest that the op should still refer to CEDR or even MCOL for an adjudication by someone more qualified to answer the question than myself.
  • Vauban
    Options
    I agree with all this - these are the arguments I'd use too. Particularly the point about natural justice and treating all passengers fairly and equitably (which was the main legal justification in the Sturgeon judgement for the ECJ deciding that delays of three hours should attract the same protections as cancellations). Clearly, two people who've waited at an airport for over five hours have suffered the same delay and inconvenience, regardless if one of them subsequently chooses not to fly.

However, the case law gives a specific definition of what delay means in this context: and it's the passenger arriving late, not the plane or the flight. And that gives a reasonable legal argument to the airline to resist compensation. The airline may win, they may not. But the OP should know their case is neither straightforward nor slam-dunk - as most others reported here are.

I think your idea of going to an ADR is good. Or the OP could explore with Bott whether they'd take this on in principle - Bott will have a view of how most judges are interpreting the Regulation in this scenario.
  • Tyzap
    Options
    Yes, I agree, Bott & Co would be the natural place to take this complaint. However, I'm not sure that there is the commercial volume for them to justify the initial expense if it were to be contested, but maybe.

It's the first time I can recall this question arising on these pages, so not a common complaint.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback