sportsdirect.com taking us for mugs

Options
I was on sportsdirect.com buying my lad a Spain football top (£25). Clicked on checkout and then went to pay via PayPal as I couldn't be bothered setting up an account. I noticed PayPal told me there were two items in my basket, I assumed the other was P&P but I clicked to go back and review to see how much they charged. It was coming to £28.98, that is £25 for the top, £2.99 P&P and 99p for a Sports Direct branded mug. What? :mad:

I assumed I must have clicked on something by accident so I removed the mug, went back to the checkout, logged into PayPal, a few more clicks and order placed.

Later I did a quick search on Twitter (key words Sports Direct Mug) and it revealed a variety of people either saying they’d noticed Sports Direct had sneakily added a mug to their order or yay they’d received a ‘free’ mug (I think if they check their invoice they’ll find out otherwise). I did tweet Sports Direct customer service asking for an explanation, unsurprisingly they failed to respond.

Now this really is sneaky and I was wondering if in fact its legal. This isn't plus selling. It’s the equivalent of an employee following you about Asda/Tesco (other supermarkets are available) and sneaking food into your trolley when you’re not looking. When you reach the check-out, and if you notice it, can you be bothered to return it to the shelves?

If they've got a problem because they've bought too many branded corporate gifts well tough they’re not passing it onto me!

So if you're using that website, make sure they're not taking you for a mug.

Comments

• Geordie_bear
    Options
    What do you expect from a shop owned by Mike Ashley, as a Toon fan they've been treating the supporters with the same level of contempt too. :o
  • bcl999
    bcl999 Posts: 3,620 Forumite
    Options
    I sent a message via their website system, got an immediate auto-acknowledgement and a proper reply within two days. Maybe you should try there.
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,780 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 August 2013 at 12:18PM
    Options
    wow - yes they do.

did a test 'purchase' and clicked on view my bag (prior to registering) and there's the mug.

Dodgy practice!
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Fuzzy14
    Fuzzy14 Posts: 39 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I saw a great post by somebody who bought a mug and it came with another mug :rotfl:

Apparently the mugs are not that bad quality (save the hideous branding), I'd just like it to be opt in not sneaked on by default.

bcl999 I'm not to interested in what they say tbh, just making others aware.
  • londonTiger
    londonTiger Posts: 4,903 Forumite
    Options
    IMO the mug should be free for orders over a certain amount (up to a maximum amount per address). This is marketing for them. People drink tea in front of their laptops and computers, they have a massive web address on these mugs.

They're hidieously ugly, they're there purely for marketing and they should give them away. Can't see the cost price for them being more than 33p each for them.
  • fsdss
    fsdss Posts: 1,429 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    this has happened to me today!, when i checked out on line, i had 1 item in my basket, now i have a mug! but i have been charged for the mug!

on top of this i have paid extra to have 24 hr delivery, 3+ days later the delivery arrives (i have taken into account the bank holiday).....waste of time!
    imo this is not right (possibly illegal?) and needs looking at
    Give blood - its free
  • paulofessex
    paulofessex Posts: 1,728 Forumite
    Options
    Perhaps it's their way of up selling as they can't tempt you with a Sports Direct carrier bag like they do in store...lol
  • Tallaght
    Tallaght Posts: 1,632 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    They stock them high and sell them low.As time goes on sports direct constantly reduce prices.
  • bod1467
    bod1467 Posts: 15,214 Forumite
    Options
    I just tried a test order and no mug was added, even when I created a test account* and went as far as the payment page. Have they changed the website already?

(There's a post on their Facebook page about this issue too).

*I used the address of what used to be the Nationwide BS in my town. It's an empty shop unit now. :rotfl:
  • missesther
    missesther Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    Having received these mugs before I just double checked and it's on the invoice as a free gift and with no extra charge - are they now charging?!
    i before e, except when you run a feisty heist on a weird beige foreign neighbour
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure