Virgin Media retention deals (post your haggling successes)

Options

Comments

• Rycall
    Rycall Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Neffi1uk wrote: »
    Also currently paying £76 for the same package. Was offered a reduction to £65 or £59 for vivid 100. Have gone through with cancellation request for now and hope to get a call like you had in a couple of days offering something around £55 which is what I'd pay if I moved to sky.

I've just had a similar offer from retentions but I've decided to put in my cancellation notice and see if they call me. We currently have XL TV, 200mb and weekend calls and since my last offer ended I'm now paying £76 which is soon to rise to over £80. I called them earlier and they tried to drop me to 100mb for £67, give me a £50 credit and upgrade our second tv box to something newer.

I wasn't happy with that so I'm waiting for a better offer. Until last month I was getting this package for £55pm.
  • Neffi1uk
    Options
    Neffi1uk wrote: »
    Also currently paying £76 for the same package. Was offered a reduction to £65 or £59 for vivid 100. Have gone through with cancellation request for now and hope to get a call like you had in a couple of days offering something around £55 which is what I'd pay if I moved to sky.

I was called and offered retention of my current package (XL tv, vivid 200 and weekend calls) for £56, so a saving of £25 on the post price increase figure of £81. I'm happy with that.
  • purpleroad
    Options
    I started up with Virgin internet and it was £22 a month. They then increased this to 26 and now it's £40 pounds. Can I force them to lower it or switch to someone else?
  • martinjo
    Options
    what package are you on for £40?
    is that including line rental?
    purpleroad wrote: »
    I started up with Virgin internet and it was £22 a month. They then increased this to 26 and now it's £40 pounds. Can I force them to lower it or switch to someone else?
  • den169
    den169 Posts: 278 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 22 August 2017 at 2:35PM
    Options
    Well Virgin make my blood boil.Got a good deal middle of June £30-05 then 2 weeks ago got an email saying it was going up £4 .So just rang and best he could do was give me a credit of £4 a month for 6 months then price would go up.So cancelled yet again its unbelievable how Virgin treat there customers.When i take there deals i'm tied to a contract for a year,They can just shove the price up anytime they want and its take it or leave.I wish there was broadband elsewhere that compares.
  • Rycall
    Rycall Posts: 20 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Just had my call from retentions and it was worth going down this route.

XL TV package
    200mb broadband
    Weekend calls
    2x TIVO V6 boxes
    £55pm for 12 months
  • Kirovfan
    Kirovfan Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 24 August 2017 at 12:16PM
    Options
    I've just spent a considerable time on the phone with Virgin querying my latest bill as it had increased significantly. In March I was offered an upgrade to Full House package with a discount for 6 months with the assurance that I could revert to the old subscription at any time within the 6 months (and still retain the speed upgrade to 150Mbs). I just tried to revert and said that I would be giving notice to leave VM but was told that at the time of the upgrade (March) a new contract kicked off and so I would have a substantial penalty if I left now. I argued that I had never been made aware of that and was told that a letter had been sent to me advising me of the new contract. I don't recall reading this and may have just thrown it away as more junk mail.
    I said that I had never signed a new contract and was told that it did not matter. I ended the call muttering I will take this further.
    Does anyone know the legal position with this, can they enforce something I never agreed to? Can I dig my feet in with them or go to, say, the Ombudsman with what I think is very unfair practice.
    Any suggestions welcome.

By amazing coincidence I just received a letter from Virgin advising me that my bill would be going up in November by £3.99 a month and at the bottom it states " ....don't worry - you can change your package or cancel your package at any time before the 30th September 2017 without paying any cancellation charges. Result!!
  • MoneySavingSham
    Options
    Received a letter stating my monthly package was increasing by £3.49. Current deal £19.95
    Tv - mix
    BB - 50 super fibre
    Phone -Talk weekends

Not happy it is going up again so wondering what good deals everyone else has?
  • fiendishlyclever
    Options
    crazygoog wrote: »
    Did they call you after putting in a request to cancel?

They always have, make sure they have a mobile number on file so they can speak to you when they call as they never leave a message.
  • patrickcummis
    Options
    How long after giving them the 30 days would they normally ring you after?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback