MSE Pregnancy Club 28

Options

Comments

• rubywhatashmoo
    Options
    Parking at our hospital isn't too bad - it's £3.50 for upto 24 hours and you can get a weekly pass for only a fiver so if you're expecting to be in for a few days it's worth getting one of those instead. If baby ends up in SCBU you get free parking to visit for as long as they're in too - doesn't sound bad but neither of us drive anyway so it'll be taxis or my Mum picking us up at some point anyway!
  • FreddieFrugal
    Options
    Rubywhatashmoo

Are you:

Ruby, what a shmoo!

or

Ruby what ash moo?!

or

Ruby wha? t'ash moo!!

or

Ruby W - hat - ash - moo

It's bothered me since I first saw the name on this board. Please explain!
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • ThinkPink
    Options
    Unfortunately our hospital is pay on exit with barriers and no option to buy a long stay ticket or anything. If I had been able to go to the mlu I wanted to go to it was £9 for up to 24 hours, but at the hospital we went to its about £12 every 12 hours. I think it's so unfair, but there isn't much choice (there is on road parking about 5 mins away but it's not in a nice area at all and I wouldn't want to leave my car there all day). Luckily we had the money but I'm sure some people would struggle to pay out that much money and may have to opt not to visit for so long, but there's no way you could have kept oh away, he was there 9am to 9 pm every day!!!
  • psychopathbabble
    Options
    That's awful ThinkPink.

We just went to the mumsnet baby fest and if anyone considers it next year I wouldn't bother. We didn't pay for our tickets but if I had I would have been a little miffed. However, now going to make up for it shopping in Westfield on the way home :)
    Became Mrs Scotland 16.01.16 :heart:Became homeowners 26.02.16 :heart:Baby girl arrived 27.10.16 :heart:Baby boy arrived 16.09.2018
  • pink_petal
    Options
    Beckyy wrote: »
    NHS sites are free to park in throughout Scotland. I know hospital parking charges in England are high... but £80 is awful to expect anybody to pay :eek:

Not all free in Scotland. The car park at the Princess Royal in Glasgow is expensive! It's also a good 5 min walk from the entrance to the maternity part of the hospital so I really hope I'm not in too much pain when I get to the hospital on d-day!
  • Beckyy
    Beckyy Posts: 2,830 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    pink_petal wrote: »
    Not all free in Scotland. The car park at the Princess Royal in Glasgow is expensive! It's also a good 5 min walk from the entrance to the maternity part of the hospital so I really hope I'm not in too much pain when I get to the hospital on d-day!

I've just read that there are 3/4 hospitals still with parking charges, very unfair when they were abolished at all the others!
  • FreddieFrugal
    Options
    Ours is £5 for 24 hours. You can get a month parking permit for £10, need to get a form from the department that's taking care of you then take that to a general office somewhere in the hospital. So I'd get one of those if she has to stay in for a while
    Mortgage remaining: £42,260 of £77,000 (2.59% til 03/18 - 2.09% til 03/23)

Savings target June 18 - £22,281.99 / £25,000
  • Toots14
    Toots14 Posts: 262 Forumite
    Options
    The hospital we used, Raigmore in Inverness is free. Downside is its almost impossible to get a space during the day as a lot of city workers park there as the centre is so expensive. It's also ages away from the maternity unit. The walk from the hospital to the car after being discharged was like a half marathon for me after my section. If you can get the car closer I recommend!
  • Kynthia
    Kynthia Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    £18 if you stay over 12 hours! Plus at many points of tge day the queue to enter the car park stretches down the site around two mini roundabouts and then down the dual carriageway past the traffic lights! Let's hope I don't arrive at 9cm unable to walk thus time as I could have it in the car while just queuing to get near the entrance.

I've just looked at the parking charges bit of the hospital website and there is a section on concessions. This includes a week of free parking for you if you are admitted for any reason, a parent of a child in certain wards/units gets 5 days free and a birthing partner gets free parking until mum is transferred to the post natal ward. It seems like it's worth looking or asking when you're at hospital.
    Don't listen to me, I'm no expert!
  • rubywhatashmoo
    Options
    Freddie, wouldn't want it bothering you any longer its:
    Ruby, what a shmoo!

Not entirely sure why as I created it as a username when I was 17 and it's just stuck around through various sites and accounts! :rotfl:

Psycho not surprised about the mumsnet thing - I signed up to their emails when I entered a competition a few weeks ago and some of the things on there are awful - definitely didn't make me want to spend a day surrounded by their lot :p

It would be nice if things were a bit fairer with regards to hospital parking - where I'll be having my baby/also work it's not near anything so it's purely people using the hospital who park there. I used to work in a city centre hospital and it does just become another car park for nearby staff - very unfair :mad:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure