PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

It's STILL tough and not getting better - so how are we coping?

Options

Comments

• purpleheather2810
    Options
    Ah well done to all the exam people! Great news. My niece is getting anxious about her GCSE results (Tuesday!) and so is my friend who has taken her English and Maths as a mature student. Fingers crossed for everyone awaiting GCSE results on Tuesday!
    :D Skint but happy with my lovely family :D

Hypnotherapy rocks :j
  • katholicos
    katholicos Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    Annie123, sorry i missed your good news! Congrats to your DS!
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • ceridwen
    ceridwen Posts: 11,547 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    taplady wrote: »
    we have a damson tree full of fruit that we dont like if anyone is near me and wants to pick them! seems such a waste to leave them to drop on the floor but I cant stand them.

Good for you for offering - hope some nice people take you up on it:T

I've been able to get my supply of damsons for this year - so a bottling session coming up now:D. Was worried in case I'd find they'd all gone - as I know every last one got taken (by the same group of people:() last year and someone had taken every last one of some other fruit I went to pick. But - fortunately - they hadnt gone for the damsons this year - so I got my share - and theres plenty left for others:D

.....just need to source some apples now..
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I made a lovely "Foragers compote" yesterday, with windfall pears & apples, some damsons picked from the hedgerows and a few ripe blackberries & elderberries I also gathered. There's enough to freeze in small containers for mixing with my winter porridge.
  • northwest1965
    northwest1965 Posts: 2,058 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Primrose wrote: »
    I made a lovely "Foragers compote" yesterday, with windfall pears & apples, some damsons picked from the hedgerows and a few ripe blackberries & elderberries I also gathered. There's enough to freeze in small containers for mixing with my winter porridge.

Sounds lovely to have with yoghurt aswell.:)
    Loved our trip to the West Coast USA. Death Valley is the place to go!
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,659 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sounds lovely to have with yoghurt aswell.:)

or on ice cream :D
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    April step goal ~ 25,021 of 130,000 steps complete so far
  • taplady
    taplady Posts: 7,184 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you on freecycle/freegle? People post that sort of thing on ours - "Come and pick your own damsons" or sometimes "big bag of damsons offered" and they always go...

thankyou - I'm on Freegle so I'll try that!:T
    Do what you love :happyhear
  • JOANNESAPHINE
    Options
    Well done to your son Taplady, you must be really proud and pleased for him.
    It's finally hit home that I'm unemployed as today I've received my last pay cheque. I would have been on holiday anyway with working in a school but now I'm thinking in 2 weeks daughter is back at school 8hours a day and husband at work 10 hours a day so some long days on my own. There are just no jobs about to apply for, shops not hiring and with schools budgets being slashed I'm not holding out any hope for doing teaching assistant work again. Have been feeling quite keen to save money and cook from scratch but now I suddenly feel quite low as I've never been in this position before in the 24 years since I left school, always worked apart from when on maternity leave. Am going out tonight with two old work colleagues from a previous job I did before the last one and we are going for a cheapie all you can eat chinese buffet style meal so that will be nice and is something to look forward to.
    Every day is a new life to a wise man.
    Sufficient for the day are it's own worries.:cool::cool:
  • jediteacher
    jediteacher Posts: 1,143 Forumite
    Options
    Well done to your son Taplady, you must be really proud and pleased for him.
    It's finally hit home that I'm unemployed as today I've received my last pay cheque. I would have been on holiday anyway with working in a school but now I'm thinking in 2 weeks daughter is back at school 8hours a day and husband at work 10 hours a day so some long days on my own. There are just no jobs about to apply for, shops not hiring and with schools budgets being slashed I'm not holding out any hope for doing teaching assistant work again. Have been feeling quite keen to save money and cook from scratch but now I suddenly feel quite low as I've never been in this position before in the 24 years since I left school, always worked apart from when on maternity leave. Am going out tonight with two old work colleagues from a previous job I did before the last one and we are going for a cheapie all you can eat chinese buffet style meal so that will be nice and is something to look forward to.

Big hugs for you. smiley-hug008.gif

I was made redundant from my teaching job 10 years ago and it was horrible. By cutting the public sector money the government are putting huge pressure on schools and one of the services that is going are the teaching assistants. This is so detrimental to the children's education and wellbeing. People just do not realise that it IS front line services that are being cut.

Anyway, my heart goes out to you and I really hope that you find something soon. smiley-hug002.gif
    'Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.' :cool:
    Proud Mummy to two gorgeous miracles.:j
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Joannesaphine, you will feel low for a few days, its hard when your job finishes but anytime soon you will pick up on something says on one of the threads on here and say to yourself 'hmmm that sounds a good idea' then slowly but surely you will be so busy the days will fly by.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills