Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Wendy
    • By Former MSE Wendy 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    • 868Posts
    • 1,782Thanks
    Former MSE Wendy
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures
    • 9th Aug 07, 5:10 PM
    PPI Reclaiming successes and failures 9th Aug 07 at 5:10 PM
    Please report your PPI Reclaiming sucesses/failures here

This thread lists 1000s of stories, click the 'last' link above for the most recent

Not done it yet? Read the full Loan PPI Reclaiming and Credit Card PPI Reclaiming

How to report your success/failure?

1. Click reply to enter you story.

2. Report your story in the following format:
    • What were you reclaiming: (eg. loan, credit card, store card)
    • Who was the provider: (e.g. Capital One, NatWest)
    • How much did you get back: ????
    • Did you get it back after a letter or did you go to the Financial Ombudsman: ????
    • And then write your brief reclaim tale
    REMEMEBER BY DOING THIS YOU ENCOURAGE OTHERS WHO MAY BE TOO SCARED TO RECLAIM HAVING BEEN MISSOLD.

What if I just want to discuss PPI reclaiming/ask a question?

Please do NOT post questions in this thread. Questions may be asked in the PPI reclaiming discussion thread where, although not guaranteed, it is more likely somebody may be able to help you.

Happy to tell your story in a newspaper/on TV?

There are over 20m PPI policies in the UK and its a £5bn a year industry; yet I believe a very substantial proportion of those were missold and I want to spread the word. We need to make PPI reclaiming as big as bank charges reclaiming and Mortgage Exit Fee reclaiming.

I need your help

To spread the word, I need case studies, people who've been placed on hold or succeeded and are willing to tell their story to encourage others to take on the banks and reclaim.

If you're willing to do this, please e-mail casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com (sorry but we can't answer questions at this email address) with as much of the following info as you can:

* how much was your loan/card balance
    * how much did you get back
    * who was your lender
    * a daytime phone number - we often need to reach people at very short notice
    * whether you are happy to appear in the papers,tv or both
    * where you live
    * did you use our template letters
    * did you go to the Ombusdman, court or use a claims handler

We really appreciate anyone that can help us with this but of course also please report your story below.

Thanks
    Martin
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 06-06-2012 at 6:58 PM.
Page 1847
    • vuteklx3
    • By vuteklx3 20th Aug 17, 8:43 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    vuteklx3
    PPI Success from 1999-2004
    I took out loans back in 1999 with Natwest Bank, initially to buy my first car, but then consolidated loans over time to cover CC Debt and Overdrafts. Over a few years the Debt amounted to nearly £20,000.
    At every new loan/consolidation Natwest would give me a refund for the previous PPI on the loan, which at the time felt like an incentive to borrow more.
    In the end i defaulted on the loans and ended up dealing with a DCA.
    Last year i approached a PPI reclaim firm, filled out all the forms, and then was informed that they would take 40% of whatever i was awarded, furthermore, any outstanding debt would be taken from the compensation, and i would still owe them 40% of the total, which potentially leave me in debt to the Reclaim company. Knowing I was still paying the DCA, i stopped the process immediately.
    4 weeks ago, started the process again, using the Resolver tool on here, I had no account numbers, and only a rough idea of when the loans were taken out. Within a week i received 6 text messages from RBS (6 different account numbers) informing me that they were looking into my complaint. A further 2 weeks in and I received another six messages informing me that they would write to me informing me of their findings.
    Last week I paid into my bank 6 cheques amounting to £14,013.
    Had i continued with the claims company, i would have nearly half that amount.
    If you are thinking about reclaiming i cannot recommend enough, the advice on this site, whether you use the Resolver tool or write to the bank independently, get it done now while the window of opportunity is still open. My claims were from 18 years ago, so its worth pursuing even if its an old account/debt/credit card etc.
    • louisewestlake
    • By louisewestlake 21st Aug 17, 4:55 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    louisewestlake
    PPI success
    I too have just had a £12000 refund from RBS. We had a MINT card, and PPI was added to it automatically. I tried to cancel the PPI several times, but it was never cancelled until RBS took it over and the PPI just disappeared. I too used resolver, i had no records, just the approx period that we had the card. We had it from 1999 to 2009. TBH, I wasn't expecting to be successful, as we'd enquired through a PPI claim company before and they couldn't find any records. But I knew we'd been miss old it, so tried again after 6 months through resolver, so no commission and success!! Took 2 months for offer and they've told us cheque should be with us within 28 dats
    • Mersey
    • By Mersey 21st Aug 17, 11:35 PM
    • 1,502 Posts
    • 713 Thanks
    Mersey

Has anyone won a claim of this nature, where the bank couldnt find your details, and you had no evidence either?
    Originally posted by Arfhurdaly

Yes, in short.

NatWest refused to look at an historic loan (as they state they only retain records for 6 years). The FOS asked them to check all of their systems again (as in another matter another dept was able to check back 9 years). They did so and a refund was paid.

In short, there is no hard and fast rule and banks are inconsistent (even within the same group).
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
    • misterbarlow
    • By misterbarlow 22nd Aug 17, 6:31 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    misterbarlow
    My wife took out three large Egg loans around 2000-2004-ish to prop up her then partners struggling business, as his own credit line was maxed.

Took the original, then year or so later took a larger one and paid off original with it, then did same a or so year later again. Think the third one was for £20k??

They ended up selling the business and the house, and she paid off the loan when they split up.

She did them all over the phone and she distinctly remembers being told each time that they would only give each one to her if she took out PPI.

We finally got around to sending off the forms a few months ago, and finally had a letter back from CSO this week, saying they are refunding her just over FIVE GRAND!!

She also took a loan with HSBC at the same time, and we still await news on that one...
    But what a result already for the cost of a few stamps!!
    They did write asking to see her marriage cert, which we sent and had back, other than that it was plain sailing..!!!
    Last edited by misterbarlow; Yesterday at 6:35 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,736Posts Today

10,329Users online

Martin's Twitter