Have you tried to reclaim old bill credit?

Options

Comments

• adrianr
    adrianr Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Another Scottish Power customer here with money locked away in their high interest saving account !

I did a 'dual switch' from Scottish Power to First Utility moving my supply of Gas and Electric. As far as I was aware both companies kept me up to date throughout the switch process and advised me when it was complete. I thought that was the end and I would receive a bill from just First Utility. However each month Scottish Power continue to take money out of my bank account and issue me a bill for just gas, when I log online it says Electric supply=Closed; Gas=Live. When I logged on to First utility website I am being charged for both gas and electric usage.

On contacting Scottish Power by phone they cannot access fully an account which they say is not live? I suggested cancelling my direct debit but the representative did not recommend this, as this could instigate automated systems include debt recovery agents (bailiffs). Also not wanting to damage my credit rating I have continued to pay for five/six months £66 per month.

The Scottish Power representative recommended contacting the new supplier (First Utility) as they must not have done the dual switch properly. Either way I did the dual switch and I am paying twice for Gas supply. I have contacted tried on numerous occasions to call First Utility however there call on hold time is slow. I have messaged both suppliers using email recently but not heard anything back yet, so I have contacted the Energy ombudsman.
    Ade
  • shazzablue
    shazzablue Posts: 146 Forumite
    Options
    I switched 24th feb so not expecting wonders where my credits concerned,my account shows £390 credit and no dd was taken this month,i have switched from bg to co op,meter readings have been supplied to both companies.hopefully dealt with soon.
  • VFE
    VFE Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    I have been trying to reclaim just short of £400 from Scottish Power since I moved abroad last October. I have emailed, written and spoken to them on the telephone often waiting unreasonable lengths of time for the call to be dealt with but to date I haven't received any money back. I have now submitted a complaint to the ombudsman. I do not understand how Scottish Power is allowed to keep hold of our money. It seems to me a very dishonest practice.
  • Whaaa
    Whaaa Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    I tried reclaiming money from First Utility back in November/December 2012. For a while they simply ignored my request and then sent an estimated bill for the property I had sold, followed by threats of court action and cutting off my supply. I pointed out that they no longer supplied our new property nor did I owe money on the old property (rather they owed me), having sold the property several months earlier. I was advised to pay the bill even though it was not my responsibility. I did and over a year later, First Utility still owe me money. They have acknowledged the fact but so far refused to pay up. The amount of time and effort spent trying to sort this has been considerable and still to no avail. Having made a formal written complaint, which received no reply, I guess I should have followed it up with the ombudsman - and I didn’t. In all fairness I haven’t tried in recent months maybe will have to start the whole process again.
  • Brimham
    Brimham Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 6 March 2014 at 6:09PM
    Options
    Until January this year I was on this account - Online Fixed Price Energy January 2014 - with Scottish Power. I decided to move to nPower, as this was a cheaper account so I filled in all the relevant meter readings and filed them online with my account number.

A couple of weeks later I got several phone calls from a Scottish Power representative, who offered me a tariff that he said was cheaper than the one on offer from nPower. So I agreed to switch back. At that point he mentioned that my account was in credit to the sum of around £460 and that a rebate would be coming to me because this money couldn’t be transferred to the new account.

I waited for this until February and checked the account online, which showed that now I was £580 in credit. But still no cheque or direct debit or payment of any sort. I have been trying ever since to get hold of a human being to talk to about this but have only ever had an email from the customer care centre with an Indian name as the signatory, mysteriously claiming that the credit was now only £287.26. I checked online and the amount had changed there too. I have no idea why.

To add insult, the email also said: "Currently we are experiencing a high number of calls that is the reason for the long hold in queue." So, nothing to do with Scottish Power not employing enough staff or treating its customers very poorly.

All I know now is that I have received no money at all and absolutely no explanation as to why I have had to wait so long, why no one ever answers the phone or why nearly £600 suddenly became nearly half that amount. It’s now around two months since the original Scottish Power account came to a close and still nothing has been refunded, despite me conscientiously putting in the meter readings when required.

Any ideas?
  • tc5712
    tc5712 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Called my old supplier Scottish Power today after getting a final bill in December stating I was £122 in credit and my current bill from new supplier made no mention of it.

They are sending me a cheque for the balance. Too right they are!

Can't believe they were going to hold on to it until I called them!

Thanks for the tip MSE!
  • al25
    al25 Posts: 175 Forumite
    Options
    MSE_Marcel wrote: »
    We've created a step by step guide on how to claim bill credit from your old supplier.

This is a new guide but we need your help! Please let us know your feedback below, as well as how you got on with your claim. Please share any tips that could help others too. Just click reply below to share your tips.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Thanks for your help,

MSE Marcel

Can I have the link to the said guide?
  • SnowMan
    SnowMan Posts: 3,358 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 10 March 2014 at 11:59AM
    Options
    According to Audrey Gallacher, Director of Energy at Consumer Futures on this moneybox programme (at 2 minutes 50 seconds) the billing code, that the major suppliers are signed up to, means you should be refunded credit within 28 days of leaving the old company.

However when I tried a while ago I couldn't find any verification of the source of that 28 days and nor could anybody else on the forum (note you can find the billing code but you can't find the 28 days reference). So the MSE guide needs to find out where that 28 days comes from as I think it is a good way to insist that a refund happens in 28 days.

I had major problems getting EDF to refund my credit when I switched to Npower in November 2013. Npower said they didn't have my opening electricity read even though I gave it to Npower promptly on the switch date. I rang up Npower and eventually got them to phone through the reading figure to EDF. Rang up EDF they say they haven't got my electricity read. I say it was phoned through yesterday. They say yes it was but they can't use that they need to wait until it is sent through their flow process. Npower aren't able to send the reading through the flow process, because their computer system doesn't work. Result: deadlock.

Eventually resolved when I persuaded EDF to create a bill (not a final bill) using the phoned through read; although initially EDF wanted to hold back £5 from the refund. When I said that wasn't acceptable, I wanted the full credit refunded, the EDF person tried to end the call. I raised another complaint that trying to terminate a call before an issue was resolved was rude and disgraceful customer service. The full refund was then made.
    al25 wrote: »
    Can I have the link to the said guide?
    Presumably it is this one

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utilities/reclaim-energy-bill-refunds
    I came, I saw, I melted
  • butcha27
    Options
    Having using the Cheaper Energy club, I established that I could save a reasonable amount by switching to a fixed online tariff with Eon.

I submitted my details in December 2013 and in mid-January 2014, Eon confirmed that the transfer had taken place and my energy supply had transferred. However, this wasn't strictly the case.

Despite my electricity supplier moving across on the UK energy supply database, the gas supply didn't follow suit and remained with NPower. This meant that the NPower account didn't automatically close and they continued to take a direct debit from my account in February and March for £105.

As a result, and as a combination of overpayment and non account closure, my account is now in credit to the sum of around £1700. So, if I hadn't followed advice from this site and called my supplier, my gas supply would have never transferred (I had filled in an online form but it had been actioned incorrectly). NPower advised me to cancel my direct debit and told me to expect a standard letter saying that my gas would no longer be paid by direct debit.

As it stands at present, I was given a 40 day time period in which to expect my final bill. Owing to the fact my last bill was paid in early December 2013, I expect to receive £1700 less two months energy supply, so about £1500 in total. The lesson to be learnt here is not to rely on your previous energy company to close off the account, a telephone call, whilst frustrating being played lift music, could pay dividends in terms of expediting any refunds due.
  • tug
    tug Posts: 37 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone.
    There is a theme on this thread relating particularly to Scottish Power.
    My dual fuel switch to nPower was from 22nd November 2013 and I sent meter readings to both Scottish Power and nPower on that date.
    On 27th December 2013 my SP account online showed I was in credit by £305.63.
    I received an email from SP on 3rd December 2013 saying that the account was being closed and I would receive a final balance and refund of credit in 4 to 6 weeks.
    I didn't receive anything.
    I checked my SP account in late February and found that they had been deducting money from my credit on the basis of their estimated readings and my credit had dwindled to £166.44.
    I asked via the online messaging for my money to be returned in full, pointing out the "mistaken" meter readings. They credited my linked bank account with £166.44 but did not send me a letter or email.
    I have since asked them for my full amount to be returned but despite an automated email saying they would respond within 5 working days they have just ignored my request.
    I have asked for details of their complaints procedure today - they say they will respond within 5 working days - yeah right!
    I have done everything by email as I anticipated problems & wanted a record of what I had said.
    I would warn everyone thinking of switching to Scottish Power that their customer service is non existent in my experience. We shouldn't have to put up with this to reclaim our own money!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback