5th cleaner sacked

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Check your phone bills.

Worked for a company some time ago, they instituted a way of recording the time and numbers called on all phones. It was actually to check employees, an effort to cut costs. Lots of 'Big Brother' comments made by employees lol.

First phone list.., 3x£100 worth of phone calls to Nairobi, at a time when no one except the cleaner was in the office.

The cleaner did not return, the company never worked for us again.
  • JournalGirl
    Options
    paulfoel wrote: »
    I see Im not the only one to experience issues with cleaners. Way too easy for them to spend a fraction of the time they say they are when they're coming into someones house when that person is not there.

The last company were just plain crooked. IMHO they knew full well what they were doing and were maximising income by squeezing jobs in (like a quart into a pint pot). Theres definitely a market for it I think because Im sure a lot of people dont complain/ dont notice.

And like I said we did complain twice before it all went off. The owner of the company was VERY good at worming out of it, telling us it'd be sorted.

To be honest, all they had to do was improve a bit, not skive off quite so much, and I wouldnt have noticed maybe. But instead they got greedy and tried the 30 mins work for the 2 hours. Maybe because I'd been so nice to them before when complaining they though I was a soft touch (they found out subsequently I wasnt!).

I dread to think how many other customers of theirs just dont notice/ dont complain/ are given excuses and they're getting away with this.

Next cleaner we're getting a key box. No more giving them a key to take away. If I could get away with a factory clocking machine too I would!

You don't need a clocking machine - a house alarm with a code for the cleaner works just as well - that's how we found the late arrival/early finish.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    If it's a company then raise it with trading standards.
    May not do anything short term but may start (or add to) a paper trail for this company.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Can they call your mobile from your landline when they arrive in site and again when they're leaving? Dress it up somehow, but that's your clocking in right there.

Do you live near the coast? If so, there will be a holiday park nearby, and that'll have a 'housekeeper'. He/she won't do the job his/herself, but will certainly know who is local and trustworthy and looking for some extra weekday hours (parks have massive demands one day a week, much less on other days). Maybe they can supervise the contract for you for a little more, so they have a personal stake in their recommendation? Just thinking aloud, really.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    edited 22 October 2014 at 9:17AM
    Options
    I have a friend who works as a xleaner for the MOD.

I keep telling her to work for herself- she is genuinely a grafter with a great workethic and cleans like a demon (she stayed with me for a few months so I know first hand)-but doesn't have the confidence or knowhow to work for herself. I'm sure she's not the only one.

Personal recommendation seems to be the solution
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • JReacher1
    JReacher1 Posts: 4,652 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    duchy wrote: »
    I have a friend who works as a xleaner for the MOD.

I keep telling her to work for herself- she is genuinely a grafter with a great workethic and cleans like a demon (she stayed with me for a few months so I know first hand)-but doesn't have the confidence or knowhow to work for herself. I'm sure she's not the only one.

Personal recommendation seems to be the solution

When people tell me they are a cleaner for the MOD I always thinks that means they are a hitman.

I read too many thriller novels!
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Never ceases to amaze me the number of comments on here that seem to imply that its all my fault or that Im the one being unreasonable.

Im apparently the bad one, making a poor cleaner come to my house and slave away as if Im lord of the manor. How dare I expect them to do the work I pay them for and actually turn up.

Like I've said before, if I tried about 5% of the tricks that some of these cleaners have tried, then I'd be out of the door at my clients in minutes.

Moral of the story: Whatever job you've got deserves your best. If your attitude is so bad that you cant do any job properly then you dont deserve to get very far.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Podge52 wrote: »
    When you next employ a cleaner consider paying them for the job done rather than the hours worked.

People don't always work at the same pace and what one might achieve in an hour could take another two hours.

This is what I do. I do not pay per hour as such but per job.

My cleaner was here the first 2 times while I was at home so she was told exactly what/how needs to be done and we were able to judge how long would it take. Came up to 3 hours ad this is what I pay her for now (£30 as £10 per hour). We both know what I expect is doable in that time.

If I need anything extra done - I leave her a note and extra money.

No issues that way.

I have done the same when I wanted my whole flat repainted - got a person to come over, give me a quote for the job not per day/hour.

The only person I pay per hour is my dog walker.

Good luck with your new cleaner when you find one.

Try to go by recommendations and get someone directly - not via agency.
  • paulfoel
    paulfoel Posts: 5,819 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GG - Hmm seems like a different idea.

Only trouble is could this potentially lead to worse behaviour? At the moment, they know they;re supposed to be there 2 hours and know if they can get away with it without me finding out they can.

If there is no fixed time, then there is no incentive to stay. I would imagine the cleaners I've had zooming around and doing it in 30 mins and not doing it properly.
    Cymru am Byth !!! :j:j:j
  • gettingready
    gettingready Posts: 11,330 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If there is no fixed time, then there is no incentive to stay.

If there is a fixed amount to work to do for a fixed price - that is more incentive to do that work.

Time has really nothing to do with that to be honest.

If we calculated the work can/should be done in say 3 hours and my cleaner does it all in say 2 and goes home that is fine with me.

I am paying for work done not time spent doing it.

If you are paying per hour, they may "stay" the full time you are paying for but work may still not be done.

I did a "trial run" with the cleaner the first 2 times so she knew what/how I want to be done and we both knew how long should it take and agreed price per the job done. Yes time came into it as calculated total at £10 per hour BUT also specified what needs to be done (and checked it CAN be done) in the time we agreed so there is no surprises for either side ;)

Works well for me/her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport