Welsh Water discount

Options
Just found out that Welsh Water offer a discount to households with income below 15k. It's called HelpU. Fill in an online form with your details, earnings and benefits, etc. and submit it. I have just heard back from them saying that a refund will be sent to my bank in a couple of weeks. £80+ better off, thank you very much! :)
Ideally I'd submit the application as soon as I get the bill next time (I'm presuming that I have to apply each year).

Comments

• Dobbibill
    Dobbibill Posts: 4,135 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It says on their website they also have other schemes if your application is unsuccessful for the 'HelpU' scheme.

https://www.dwrcymru.com/en/My-Account/Helpu.aspx

Thanks for sharing this - it may help many others.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Credit Cards, Credit File & Ratings and Energy boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

If you can't be the best -
    Just be better than you were yesterday.
  • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    COOLTRIKERCHICK Posts: 10,510 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Was talking to someone today who works for set cymru. And they were saying if your roof run off water is diverted into barrels etc so you use it in the garden you can phone them and tell them what you have done. They will send someone out to confirm you have done this. And you will have a discount.

Only found out about this today. So don't know how much discount you get.

Def going to phone them on tuesday
    Work to live= not live to work
  • edwink
    edwink Posts: 2,968 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 April 2017 at 10:07PM
    Options
    Rainwater coming off of your roof etc. as per post above (sorry forgot to quote it)

Great idea to let others know about this as you get an abatement for it in the South too. Just ring your water company ask them to send you a form if you think you will qualify. They may or may not come round to check. The abatement lasts for 3 years with Thames water then as long as you qualify you can apply for another 3 years and so on.

With my water provider company Viola here in the south East and our sewage company Thames water we applied for an abatement and was given a discount of 86% as our grey waste water goes in to a soak-a-way and we collect all of the rainwater that falls from the roof of our property. Worth applying for if you have these facilities. The discount given depends on basically if you have a soak-a-way or not and/or collect the water from your roof.

I have mentioned this fact before on MSE but for those who missed it I thought I would mention it again on this thread.

Hope that is helpful

Edwink
    **3.36 kWp solar panel system, 10 x Ultima & 4 x Panasonic solar panels, Solaredge Inverter **Biomass boiler stove for cooking, hot water & heating **2000ltr Rainwater harvesting system for loo flushing - **Hybrid Toyota Auris car **1 ex-battery hen - RIP Pingu, Hoppy & Ginger ****Hens & Ducks**** chat thread. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5282209
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,509 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Be aware that ALL rainwater has to be diverted from main (sewer) drainage.
    I tried to claim a few years ago, but because the kitchen drain was "open" with a grid, they disallowed as some rainwater from the patio would run into the main drainage:(
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure