PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Eating out of the freezer and cupboards challenge - part two

Options

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Options
    Oh my, all my stores are stuffed with produce from fruit and veg plots. I still have to stock up on plain and S/R flour as making biscuits for the MacMillan Coffee Morning means I have hardly any left and also transferred the last of the jumbo organic oats into the breakfast cereal jar last night.

I am also hoping DH will take both the packs of fondant icing to feed the honey bees in our hive - quite a small colony; I am hoping we can bolster their chances of survival with a bit of insulation and plenty of food.

I have so much to process and not enough time. Must buy sugar and vinegar when in the next town where there is a bigger SM. Got a Waitress voucher so might get the sugar there
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • dannie
    dannie Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Since 25/9/17 -

- Food ingredients to support health obtained. Some were special offer.

- The online (food) grocery order was one week earlier than expected as the person I share delivery costs with needed to do so. Most of my expenditure was on UHT milk to last at least 2 weeks.

- Continue to "prepare for winter" by stocking up on bulk non-food household items and a few food store cupboard items. The latter having a long BBE date.

Still using up what I have slowly but think I need some kind of mini - challenge?
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 September 2017 at 8:16PM
    Options
    In: tinned chickpeas & soup, cupasoup also have a small meat order to sort out so some of that will end up in the freezer, 5 bags of skinned homegrown tomatoes
    Out: crusty roll,
    Used up: runner beans
  • Suffolk_lass
    Options
    dannie wrote: »

Still using up what I have slowly but think I need some kind of mini - challenge?

Any thoughts what? I have been thinking that myself. I was thinking about trying to reduce some of the dry goods to form the basis of meals during the week, only topping up with bits of meat left over from the weekend
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,089 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    In: pork chop, 2 pork steaks, pork hock
    Out: Ciabatta roll, 2 sausages
    Used up: massive beef tomato, red pepper, cold meat, chutney
  • zafiro1984
    zafiro1984 Posts: 2,445 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Out 2 slices bread, portion turkey casserole
    rest from stores

IN The first of my massive cook-in for January. 6 x individual portions of shepherds pie. I've put carrots, swede, leek and celery in with the mince to bulk it out.
    10 x individual apple sponge puddings. I made a huge one in a roasting tray and divided it into individual portions.
    Everything well packaged and well labelled with instructions about defrosting and reheating.
    The best thing of all was I didn't have to buy any ingredients at all for the above meals.
    I'm going to have a look tomorrow at what else I can cook without spending any money.
  • dannie
    Options
    Suffolk lass - Sorry for the delay in replying. Still deciding, so will post with my idea(s) when possible.
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Zaffiro, well done on your first cooking marathon! . A small handful of red lentils thrown in with your mince will also help to bulk out any dishes.

Beef or lamb casseroles can be cooked in bulk with mashed potatoes cooked separately and layered on top of the freezer containers when cold for easy portioning.. bags of mixed chopped cooked apples, pears & sultanas can be frozen for easy desserts if you're happy to use long life cream or cartons of ready made custard.

Just in case your convalescence has to last longer than planned it might be a good idea to start researching if there are any daily suppliers of ready cooked meals in your area. These will obviously be more expensive than your own cooked meals (and your husband will realise what a bargain chef he has married,) but in an emergency they might be a useful back up. Hope all this cooking and standing on your feet is not exhausting you too much. Take things as easy as you can. You'll want to be in good physical condition for your surgery..
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My Mini challenge was to reduce stocks in freezer as well as cupboards but I just do not seem to manage it. Have succumbed and have finally decided to a) move tumble dryer (seldom used) into outhouse, near power supply in case, then I can move small freezer into the hole left in utility area which will free up the space in pantry to put a tallish upright freezer. So far dryer moved but will need to be well organised for next part of move. This is freezer only so far.
  • dannie
    Options
    30th September 2017 - Checked the fridge and freezer to determine what ingredients could make soup. Made two. Also, put into one drawer all those items that I intend to use up first.

Suffolk lass - My plan will be to use up food from this drawer and also to keep things simple, in order to free time to do other activities. I spend far too long in the kitchen. Hope your idea works for you if you decide upon doing it.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback