PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Who's going to YORK?  Old Style gathering: Poll

Options

Comments

• Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Yeh somehow I did not think that the other one looked habitable, really!

Anyway:

Under the 'reservations' header of the Micklegate hostel I found these paragraphs:

If you would like to stay with us at Micklegate House, please call, email or fax us with your requirements and we will be able to check availability for you.

For groups wishing to book with us, please contact us and confirm that we have enough room to accommodate you. After this, if you wish to make a reservation, we require a deposit of at least 25% of the total cost, and full payment no less than two months in advance

So I suppose we oughtta start counting up asap - I haven't ever organised anything so don't know where to start really, I don't know who would collect the cheques for the booking etc...

Can anyone more expert in this sort of thing help please?

For my part, I can ring the hostel and negotiate rates once I have numbers and type of accommodation required (I am fine in a dorm but how about the others?) and any info search required, but cannot take money/cheques because my local postal service is extremely dodgy (innumerable pieces of post have been lost for some reason in this area!).

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Me again, having looked at the prices of Micklegate again.

The cheapest option would be to get round numbers such as for example 10 or 20 because then we get 2 free places (one leader for each 10 in a group) - the saving could be divided up and spread around for everyone's benefit.

The cheapest way would be:

22 person, weekday rather than weekend, would work out at just over £10 per person inc. breakfast:

£14.50x20 (+ 2 free)= £290
    Less 20% discount weekday before 31/3/05 =£58
    Total: £232
    Divided by 22: £10.55 per person

Even without discount it works out quite cheap anyway!

It would be worth doing a weekday meet only if we did not lose any paid work or have to pay childcare, in which case it would not be worth the saving!

Caterina
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    16011996 Posts: 8,313 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    i would prob struggle mid week. :-[
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Caterina,

Perhaps you should set a date you want responses by and then work on the numbers you have then? I don't know how you'd go about paying either, hopefully there's a regular who can help out here (?). I wouldn't mind paying more to stay in a family room or shared room for a bit more comfort! Are there any volunteers to cook a meal or take one there ready cooked (cost to be shared)? I volunteer to wash up or anything other than cook! ::)
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • mink35
    mink35 Posts: 6,068 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I volunteer to wash up or anything other than cook! ::)

Can't you cook Fran?? ;D
    Mink
  • Anne_Marie_2
    Options
    Would be tough for me to manage mid week, sorry. Weekends best for me, but depends on majority, not wanting to be selfish here.
    Will put my thinking cap on for money side of things. Girl I know had an overnight meeting with another forum not so long ago, will ask her how they went about that and post back, although bound to be experienced ones on this forum who can help with info.
    I am quite willing to help with cooking, as long as you all like veggie food! Cooking in advance not an option, live too far away.
    Not been in a dorm since ......... well, suffice to say considerable amount of years! However, am sure could put up with that, but could everyone else put up with me? Will just have to pray that I don't have a cold and snore my head off! :-[ Just so long as I have a bed, my days of being able to sleep on a floor are long gone! :'(
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    weekend definitely
    coming from the midlands
    would travel to midlands or manchester or liverpool
    i can cook if needs be
    one day easier for me
    mid march sounds good
    a dorm would be fine - could we have a midnight feast enid blyton style?!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Can't you cook Fran?? ;D

Of course I can cook! But whether you'd want to eat it is another matter. ;D
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Lillibet_2
    Lillibet_2 Posts: 3,364 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm happy to help cook but don't think I can transposrt anything ready-prepared over that distance on the train :o
    Either mid-week or weekend suits me fine. However I'm trying to get pregnant, if I'm ovulating I might have to bring my husband with me ;);) Due to this & my chronic insomina you might not want me sharing a dorm with you ::)
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth:p

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks:mad: Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Chris25
    Chris25 Posts: 12,918 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I'd need to work out whether I'd just join you on the day or stop for overnighter. Probably the former as it's my mum's birthday weekend.
    But i imagine i could bring something edible on the train. Although it may not look wonderful after the journey! ;D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure